1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Extended Optical Zoom

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by VasManI, Mar 29, 2011.

1. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    What is the point of Extended Optical Zoom ("EZ" or EX. OPT. ZOOM in the camera menu/manual) on some (perhaps all?) Panasonic bodies (a DMC-G2 in my case). This afternoon I took three images of the same subject (a power pole), and I'm trying to figure out what's the point of this feature when all it appears to be doing is cropping the image down. Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Vas

PS. All of the images below were taken with a G2/14-140mm lens @ 140mm from the same location, within a few seconds of each other, therefore same lighting conditions and etc. I have also attached resized versions, in case the site their being hosted on goes down.

12MP (EZ Off)

[​IMG]

6MP (EZ On)

[​IMG]

3MP (EZ On)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. I think the only advantage is that the camera meters the scene from the croppped portion only, not the entire 12MP image.

3. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Yes! that's all it does, crops down the image by only reading the central part of the sensor, 12mp to 6mp to 3mp. Might as well do that PP.

4. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Perhaps it would be good for adapted lenses that vignette.

5. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    I noticed on another forum that several liked it for videoing. I tried it for birds after seeing some good results from others. The only thing I can say is I found it easier to focus more accurately but had to shoot in jpeg as opposed to RAW.

Just tried it on the GF1 and it doesn't work. You have to use digital zoom. Perhaps it works on the GH2 in video. I have the GH2 pdf manual on my Ipad so will have to do a little research.

Ah hah--it is available for videoing on the GH2 and perhaps the GH1. I don't have that manual to check. I don't know if it is available for the G2 either.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I have never gotten a good explanation of if the image quality is better doing this crop over cropping in post.

7. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Thank you all, it appears that aside from cropping the image down, there are no other benefit to Extended Optical Zoom. So just for grins, I took the same picture today, but used digital zoom at 2x and 4x. Here are the 12MP (4000x3000) images (no EZ).

12MP (EZ off, no digital zoom)

[​IMG]

12MP (EZ off, 2x digital zoom)

[​IMG]

12MP (EZ off, 4x digital zoom)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Here's a set of 6MP (2816x2112) images (EZ on).

6MP (EZ on, no digital zoom)

[​IMG]

6MP (EZ on, 2x digital zoom)

[​IMG]

6MP (EZ on, 4x digital zoom)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Here's a set of 3MP (2048x1536) images (EZ on):

3MP (EZ on, no digital zoom)

[​IMG]

3MP (EZ on, 2x digital zoom)

[​IMG]

3MP (EZ on, 4x digital zoom)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well, for the same (reduced) resolution picture, the EZ zoom one is going to look better because it maintains the higher resolution pixel pitch. Obviously, you will have to go to shorter lenses to maintain the same field of view.