1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ext Flash for OMD 5 Mk 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Souwalker, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    hi
    I came from a canon 70D and the 430 flash for bounce photography. I believe the flash that comes with the mk2 is not good enough for bounce.
    Can you recommend one without braking the bank? Something similar to the 430 with TTL?
    Thanks
    Pat

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Panasonic LUMIX DMW-FL360L
    or
    Olympus FL-600R Flash
    OEM flashes, compatible with both Panasonic and Olympus TTL and can be used as remote flashes with TTL capability.

3. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I wouldn't recommend the i40 for off-camera use, it has an infurating habit of turning itself off after about a couple of minutes with no warning noise that it's done it, and needs to be poked to switch back on. Fine if it's on the hot shoe but if it's not, the process is - shoot camera, realise flash hasn't worked, access power button, wait for flash to turn on, wait for the flash to cycle to the right focal length, wait for the flash to be ready. Hopefully whatever you were going to use it on is still around after all this.

&ed - also, hopefully you didn't accidentally bump any of the insanely easy to move dials at the back at any point during this.

&ed - also, it's just about impossible to see what focal length the head is set to - you can't see the guide to what colour is what length with a diffuser on it (also this slides out very easily and complicates diffusing it to begin with), and the length is indicated by changing the power LED, which is about as weak-assed a LED as I've ever seen, and is often hard to determine if it's even on in daylight, let alone what colour it's meant to be.

Ask me how I like mine :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    You just saved us some money! It's that bad eh? I wonder why so many glowing review on wp and here. I gotta say MFT flash options are really disappointing so far. Either too expensive (OEM) or crap aftermarket.

6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

As something that sits in the hot shoe, or something you use only occasionally for a couple of shots and you're done, I think it's probably fine. As something that you are gonna use a lot - like for every single shot you do in a session, off camera in a variety of positions and with different subject distances, it's really not up to it. The FL600r is a much better flash and I wish I'd bought another one of those (or the panasonic version). The 600r was on sale recently for $269 at cambuy, worth checking for deals occasionally.

& ed - oh and another thing, I forgot to mention the i40's flash head rotates and tilts but has no actual locking/latching mechanism on it, so even a strong breeze can drag the flash head into a new position just by the diffuser catching the wind.

7. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    The other thing I don't like on my Nissin i40 is that it doesn't generate a focus assist beam in the m43 version. I checked with the manufacturer when I couldn't get this advertised feature to work and they said it works on other brands, just not on m43.

8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

IIRC that's kind of dicey on all m43 flashes. But yeah, neither the fl600r or i40 are great here. The FL600r will turn on its general LED video light if you press the right button for it ... and then turn it off after the first exposure if it's off camera. The i40 will only turn its one on if the mode switch is set to video mode on the rear dial so it's completely useless.

9. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the responses. What would be the better option over the 600 and i40? If I'd get a flash might as well get a better one then have buyers remorse.
    Thanks

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not many smaller TTL units have locking heads... I've never found it a problem in practice. Even with larger flashes off camera it's not a problem as the diffuser should be attached to the frash bracket, not the flash head.

As for the AF illuminator - I think it's a m4/3 standards issue. AFAIK there is no flash on the market (including the flagship Panasonic DMW-580L) that has a decent AF illuminator grid. The ones from 4/3 don't work, the ones from m4/3 just light up an annoying LED during focussing when they do work.

For off camera I've just gone full manual with remote power control using a 3rd party system (YN560). For quick TTL on-camera/chord bounce I just went with an i40 because of its power/size ratio. If physically it's going to be no good maybe try a used FL-50/FL-50R?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Souwalker

Souwalker Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks all.
    Flash is only to be used for on camera and bounce flash.
    I may use as a fill flash outdoors but still on camera.
    Will i40 or 600 suffice? The 50 is way out of my humble budget.
    Thanks

12. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I have the pana fl360, same as the oly 600. I find it very good, either for ttl or off camera use. I actually use it more in manual now so could have gone with something cheaper, but panasonic is really good in the quality department and I found no issues now that I am using it on olympus body.