Expsoure X6 is out and it now does DNG.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is for the new Exposure X6 software as it now does DNG images from RAW files so one does not need to use the Adobe DNG Converter. Then you can call up a personally-made profile using it and apply it to your images to aid in color.

Shoot a ColorChecker Passport in sunlight or with a flash. Camera works best set to Manual Kelvin. I use 5,200 Kelvin outdoors and my flash units are gelled to that value as well (Fwiw, I'm a colormeter user.). I use the larger x-rite "ColorChecker Digital SG" card since I often deal with flesh tones but they have really gone up in cost lately so a ColorChecker Passport may be more affordable.

Open ORF/RAW image in "Exposure X6".
Right click on image. Click on "Convert to DNG".

An optional DNG converter is Adobe's "Digital Negative Converter" and select above DNG image. Press "Convert".

Open x-rite "ColorChecker Camera Calibration" software and load the above DNG image into it.
1. x-rite's software should recognize the ColorChecker card in use, either a small ColorChecker Passport or the larger Digial SG card, and position it. May need to manually center the gridded squares though.
2. Press "Create Profile" and type in a profile name as suited.

An optional profile maker to Adobe's is "Lumariver Profile Designer" which does a bit more. http://www.lumariver.com/
"Load Image" from DNG made above.
Select "Illuminant D50" value or one that print will be viewed under such as D50, D55, D65 which are Kelvin values. I picked "Illumiant D55" as it seems a good norm for framed indoor prints.
Select whatever Colorchecker card you used in next box. I used the "X-rite ColorCheckr Digital SG" for the large Digital SG card I used.
Select "Show Target Grid" and position the gridded squares properly on the target. Use the 1:1 button to magnify and help in positioning. Once satisfied, check "Grid is in place".
Press "Render" in lower left to make the profile.
With above done, Press "DCP Export" on right side. Press "Export DNG Profile" and save it as whatever name you want for the profile's name.

Re-open "Exposure X6" with the original ORF file. Chances are all right-hand editing window tabs will show a blue indicating they are all ON or active. Image will appear dull and lacking contrast, color, etc.

1. Open "Basic" in right window editing pane with right-most arrow. You should see "Profile: Standard" (in blue). Click on right arrow by Standard" then "Import" and find your newly made profile made from above and select it. Nice addition by "Exposure X6" is you can add any info in to the gray "Category" pane such as "Generated by Lumariver PD 1.0.6 for Olympus E-M1X. DNG made by Exposure X6. Sunlight 5,200K." which may help you later when you have sundry profiles. Select the profile and you will see a color improvement in the ORF image.

However, we are not done yet as you may have some color crossovers in the whites and blacks both that may be beyond the normal WB Eyedropper tool to handle both. So we alter them independently as done below.

With the "Exposure" slider, move it so the whitest ColorChecker Passport square (Or E5 on the Digital SG card) reads RGB= ~243 underneath the hand pointer in the Histogram pane. I use the G (Green value) to set this.

Adjust "Contrast" slider to darken the ColorChecker's black square (J5 on SG card) to RGB= ~53 (Again, I use the G (Green) value here too. You may also need to use the "Shadows" slider as well. Black slider has little affect here.

Now you are close in contrast and brightness, but may still have some color or white balance issues as the RGB values of the white and black squares are not the same.

Drop down in Editing pane to "Tone Curve" and open it. To right of "Channel: RGB" you have three eyedroppers. The SECOND one (Shadows) place over the black ColorChecker square (J5 on SG card) and click it. Do the same for the white one over the whitest ColorChecker square (E5 on SG card).

Closer, but still some fine tuning in order as the RGB values still may not be neutral in both the white and black squares. In "Tone Curve" and "Channel: RGB" change it to B (Blue Channel). With cursor over whitest square, slide the top upper right blue line in the "Tone Curve" window to the left or down and match the white sqaure RGB B (Blue) to that of the G (Green) value. Very little movement is needed and just watch the numbers below the "Tone Curve's" window to spot the change.

Do the same with the "Channel: R" (Red value) and move upper right of the red line so the Histogram's RGB R (Red) value equals the G (Green) value. All should be the same for the white square now.

Now do the same for the black square. Channel B (Blue) and move lower left (For Black/Shadows) of the Tone Curve box so the Histogram RGB B (Blue) value equals the G (Green) value.

Pretty much done, but might want to set the following in the Edit pane:
"Sharpening" to Amount=50.
"Lens Correction" set to Maker: Olympus. Model to m43 and whatever lens pane you select from the other fly-out screen or close to it.
"Defringe" set to "Defringe: ON" but make sure it is on for best results.

Now the ORF should look pretty good. Once you are happy with it, got to "Edit" in top window, select "Save current preset..." and name it. It will then appear under the left pane "Presets" and "My presets."

Any ORF/RAW images taken under the same circumstances should be auto-corrected by selecting the images and applying the "My Preset" you just created. No need to go through all the above again - unless you are masochistic. :dash2:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Below is an unaltered JPG from camera:

JPEG.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Below is a three second animation between the ORF RAW file and the new one created using the new "My Preset" from following the above:

Exposure-X6-Color-Test.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An annoying trait of the x-rite ColorChecker Digital SG card is that it's prone to bow when it gets warm. When it does, the profile will be wrong as glare comes into play. The Lumariver Profile Designer has a glare checkbox that the x-rite ColorChecker Camera Calibration software does not have. I had to clip it to a board to keep the bow-induced glare down.

Mack

PFrank

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Peter
Interestingly, the new X6 will not read ORF files from the E-M1 Mk III but it will convert them to DNG which makes them viewable and editable. I asked support when E-M1 Mk III ORF files will be supported and they replied that they are waiting for a 3rd party supplier to provide the profile.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom