Exposure X3 & X4 by Alien Skin Discussion/Help Thread

Thanks for the replies. Sorted the exporting aspect. A bit more effort than Lightroom (built into LIghtroom] but not a deal breaker by any means. With respect to the location coordinates I have installed GeoSetter to add the coordinates to the image metadata. I haven't checked yet but assume the images will export from Exposure X5 with the location data intact.

One thing I haven't been able to find any information on is the optimate performance settings in Edit -> Preferences -> Performance. Interested in what others have their settings as.

Also downloaded the trials of Snap Art 4 and Blow Up 3 to give them a go.
From whatI have seen all metadata accompanies an exported image... unless you have chosen to turn it off on export for some of the quick exports to some social media site you'd rather not share info with. It can also be turned off when saving individually and manually.

As per Performance I'm certainly no expert there and I'm running on a 13" MBPro with only 8 Gb of Ram... sadly that is the one thing I wish I had bumped up at purchase. In the past I've been able to switch out the built in ram and replace... but no more! I needed the machine at the time of purchase and without heading to a 15" MBPro 8 GB was the limit. So, all I have done in my setup is move the slider for Performance -> Memory from the default of halfway to about three quarters of the way. I'm not sure with only 8GB Ram I could really take advantage of some of the other settings.

I got both of Snap Art and BlowUp when I got EX3. BlowUp was used occasionally however I don't really print large, which is where its algorithms excel. About EX4.5 they also seemed to include many of the print features of BU3 which essentially meant I didn't use it much anymore. It may still be useful but, again, not being much of a printer, not as much to me.

On the other hand if you're looking for an artsy fartsy editing experience, Snap Art is pretty cool. I used it to resurrect some too quick for my em5.2 in a too dark room flamenco dance a couple of years ago. The background folks were perfectly sharp... the dancers perfectly blurry. I had no other photos of them so for some reason was hesitant to trash them. One day I did an Edit-In-SnapArt and presto... all was well in Flamenco land... a perfectly acceptable artsy farsty impressionistic Flamenco Dance. I then put together a 4 minute slide show for one of my photo clubs... and turned every one of the photos i used for it into a "work of art". Being a Monet fan, this was an acceptable thing to do. LOL... some other purists thought otherwise. Didn't bother me though... my photos, not theirs.

After showing this we had one of the chaps in our club who had also bought into the EX4 bundle at the time display a photo of a very ordinary local street. He had, however captured the very essence of the small town with his artsy B&W rendition using Snap Art... priceless!

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
From whatI have seen all metadata accompanies an exported image... unless you have chosen to turn it off on export for some of the quick exports to some social media site you'd rather not share info with. It can also be turned off when saving individually and manually.
This is my understanding too.

As per Performance I'm certainly no expert there and I'm running on a 13" MBPro with only 8 Gb of Ram... sadly that is the one thing I wish I had bumped up at purchase. In the past I've been able to switch out the built in ram and replace... but no more! I needed the machine at the time of purchase and without heading to a 15" MBPro 8 GB was the limit. So, all I have done in my setup is move the slider for Performance -> Memory from the default of halfway to about three quarters of the way. I'm not sure with only 8GB Ram I could really take advantage of some of the other settings.
My laptop is reasonably powerful so will rack them up and see what happens .... easy to change anyway.

I got both of Snap Art and BlowUp when I got EX3. BlowUp was used occasionally however I don't really print large, which is where its algorithms excel. About EX4.5 they also seemed to include many of the print features of BU3 which essentially meant I didn't use it much anymore. It may still be useful but, again, not being much of a printer, not as much to me.
I don't think I will have any need for Blowup but I might play with Snap Art 4 at times. The bundle is US$30 more so may just bite the bullet on that one. Will hold off for now but and see what Black Friday brings.

Last edited:
Black Friday is when i bought my first bundle from them. As I recall it was either 25 or 30% off the regular retail.

I had run out of the 30 day trial about a week before Black Friday us when it ran out I had not been able to use it for about a week or so. I asked them if I could have an extension of just a few more days as I was testing a few more features... and was also doing a final comparative with several other apps (which I was). They said I could have another 30 days if I wished. All I really needed was 4 or 5 days, but their offer was just another 👍🏼 from Alien Skin.

During my trial I had made several enquiries from them and had specifically esponses from both the tech guys and Jimmy Beech, the guy who does the vid tutorials. Another 👍🏼 there too.

I wasn’t really expecting anything regarding Black Friday, or maybe I just wasn’t looking for anything as I was more interested in if this was the right app for my purposes... so when the discount came up I jumped all over it. Never looked back or regretted it.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
I have contacted Exposure but curious if anyone has any thoughts on this little problem.

The images have been imported from my Lightroom catalog using the Exposure tool;​
Editing then takes place in Exposure X5​
Exporting setting includes "All Metadata"​
GeoSetter shows a comprehensive list of metadata including what shows up as missing when the image gets to Flickr, e.g., camera and lens data​
The problem is the metadata is not showing up in Flickr and hence in here. You can see this in this latest image I processed today.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Farming valley – Le Mourade - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D6-10 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
I have contacted Exposure but curious if anyone has any thoughts on this little problem.
sounds oddly similar to the issue I had in the previous page, where I wasn't seeing the exif. It only affected my E-M1 though, as images from the E-M5 displayed the exif fine here. I remember thinking at one point, it may have been happening with just one lens, but I can't remember the detail now. Amin may have kicked something to make it work again, as my comment below the image seems a bit silly now.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
So it's been about a month or so, since X5 was released, and I haven't seen anyone here offer up opinions on the upgrade.
The Black Friday price to upgrade my X4 Bundle is attractive, X5 Sale
However, I am unsure if upgrading would be worth the cost for an enthusiastic amateur.
I can read what their ad copy says, but was curious what real users think.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom