exposure issue with 20mm lens

sheepsteeth

Mu-43 Regular
i bought a panny 20mm lens yesterday and havent stopped snapping away since, i think ive got a problem with it though

if i want to take a picture, i find i have to set it up in such a way that the light meter on my epl1 shows an over exposure of 1* where as if i try to take a picture with my original kit lens (14-42 oly) the image exposes correctly when the light meter says it will.

is it just a quirk of the panny lens?

*what is the correct terminology for what i am describing?

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is there a discrepancy between the live view and the image? Are you photographing a high key scene such as snow? Can you post an image.

BTW, you have not set exposure compensation by accident?

sheepsteeth

Mu-43 Regular
when i look at the lcd and the scene im picturing, it looks correct, its just when i take the shot, it always looks underexposed if i have set the shot as per the light meter, this is only an issue with the panny and not with the oly.

sheepsteeth

Mu-43 Regular
i dont as it happens, i will give it a go and see if i can make sense of that too, tell you what, the more im learning, the more i seem to need to learn!!

thanks again though, its nice to be able to ask simple questions.

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
I think I'm right in saying that the image seen on the lcd is in fact a jpeg generated by the camera and is affected by the settings you have for the in camera jpeg. Are you comparing the lcd image with a raw file output from your camera?
You might find the following link of some help Settings for an Accurate Histogram

Barrie
Thanks for the link - good info.

tachikoma

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Jason
Perhaps try changing the metering

When I shoot with the 20mm on a G1 body, I usually use aperture priority but found the pictures (in jpeg) usually underexposed compared to what I saw on the viewfinder especially in low ambient lighting conditions. By switching the G1's metering to spot metering my pictures are now much closer to what I see in the viewfinder.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom