1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Exposure compensation on the Pen F

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Oct 15, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    A colleague of mine has just bought A Pen F and I played with it the other night. It is a very nice feeling camera but I really didn't get on with the exposure compensation dial. I use exp comp a lot and found the dedicated dial too hard to turn with the camera to the eye. No problem I thought, I'll just assign it to the rear dial - but it seems they've removed the option to set exp comp to the dials. Is this correct or am I missing something?

I have to say this would be a deal breaker to me if so.

2. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    E/C dial on my Pen-F has gotten a little easier with use. If I have to choose....'little loose and easily bumped' or 'little tight and needs more effort', I definitely have to choose the latter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I played with a Pen F at Dixon's and figured out how to get the rear dial to be exposure comp. Basically, before you can set it to act as exposure comp, you have to first set the exp comp dial to be flash exposure comp. Obvious huh?

Anyhow, I've got one on order now!! Decided I'd sell my E-M5ii and old E-M5 plus their grips to (mostly) fund it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's good to know. Maybe a bit of dedicated dial spinning when I get mine will loosen it up more quickly! It would be nice to use it and then reassign the rear dial to ISO. That would really work well.

5. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    You & me both Paul...I've been hankering after a Pen-F recently and have been getting nagged from immediate family as to what I'd like for my birthday (I'm an awkward December baby!). A nice silver Pen-F should be with me next week. :)

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I also found the EC dial stiff so I mapped it onto the front dial and the EC dial was basically an ornament. The only other option for the dedicated dial is to map it to flash compensation. Amusingly, I then kept hitting the EC dial by accident :rolleyes-38: so I mapped it back to the dedicated dial.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I guess we all do things differently. For me, exposure comp is the most used control. I rely on the over/under blinkies to direct exposure so almost every shot I take involves rotating the exp comp dial. It wouldn't worry me at all if I moved it by accident since it's second nature for me to adjust exp comp anyhow. That's why the dedicated dial just doesn't work far me. It needs to spin freely and easily with the camera to the eye (so using only the thumb to control it) - and it's just too stiff for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I work like that as well. I just find that I take a lot of quick shots and the EC always seems to be in the wrong place. Anyway, you can reassign EC to the front dial and it works as well as the OMD bodies.

9. twenty200

twenty200 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 20, 2015
    I wish the exposure compensation dial was an ISO dial.

It does bug me that the exposure comp dial is so stiff, but I quickly got into the habit of reaching for it with my thumb and index finger. With one finger, it's way too stiff, but using the thumb and index finger together, it's the perfect stiffness. Because of how it's positioned on the rear corner, I wonder if it was intended to be turned this way...?

10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's odd that it's been designed the way it has. If a dial needs two fingers to turn it can only mean that the designer assumed it would be infrequently used and with the camera away from the eye. Unless you shoot in M mode, I think that's an odd assumption.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM
  11. Pluttis

Pluttis Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2016
    Peter
    I have no problem with the EC-dail, sure its stiff but no problem to use/operate with just the thumb...hopefully it will loosen up a bit after being used more.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Funny Funny x 4