Exposure comp wheel changes from front wheel to rear wheel

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Benzy, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I have exposure comp set to activate when I press the rear wheel. For what appears to be no rhyme or reason, adjusting compensation after the wheel is pressed is sometimes effected by rotating the front wheel, and sometimes the rear wheel. I do have flash intensity set up as well. Flash mode is off in both cases, and adjusting flash intensity is always on the wheel that is not being utilized for exp comp.

Is there a way to have exp comp set to the rear wheel indefinitely?

Edit: This is a Gx7

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Maybe... what camera do you have?

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I know if you are using MySets and do not have the control scheme setup between them all the same, and I believe that the mode dial is also affected this way - that the front and rear dials will change their functions when those modes are changed.

Might this be what is happening to you?

4. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Ah, important. Gx7

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Yes... that can be kind of odd. Here is how mine works. On "A" I have it set to where the front dial will adjust aperture and the rear dial will adjust exposure comp. If I only rotate the rear dial, it will adjust exposure comp. If I push the rear dial like a button, the large display comes up and then exposure comp will only be adjustable with the front dial. I wasn't aware that you could set either dial to +/- flash without hitting a button first, but my guess is that you are getting different results because sometimes you just rotate, and sometimes you push the rear dial (and the dial can be easily pushed inadvertently).

It's strange. I'm not sure why they kept the pushable rear dial. It made sense on the GX1 (you would push to switch between what you would adjust), but I have yet to see a good use for it on the GX7. Maybe someone who had used it in modes I haven't can explain the benefit of a pushable rear dial (or maybe its just there for people who have gotten used to a one dial camera and they can use it like the GX1).

Edit: the "+/- 0" at the bottom of the screen isn't flash adjust, that is the small light meter/exposure comp display (and pushing the button brings up the big display). I'll bet that is the confusion. I just looked (briefly) and didn't see any way to assign flash intensity to a dial as a default.

6. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    A little update to this. When you click to rear wheel to activate exp comp adjustment, pressing "disp" toggles between the front wheel and rear wheel as the wheel that makes the adjustment.