Exposure and focus lock?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Mar 16, 2013.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011

I want to try the Brenizer stitching tectonic.
    For that I need my OMD to lock exposure and focus. I can't seem to find a way to do both with the same function button...

Anyone know how?

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    You can't with one button.

Lock exposure using AEL, when you've found your focus switch to MF then it won't refocus (unless you move the focus ring on the lens [if it has it] by mistake}
  3. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    That would work, good idea...

4. masberg24

masberg24 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2013
    how do you switch to MF?
  5. Jangir

Jangir Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Through Menu or by pressing OK button and then selecting focus option on the screen.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you use back-button AF then this is the easiest thing in the world to do and you will never have to worry about the camera re-focusing on you when you don't want to. The camera will only focus on what you the photographer want to focus on, when you the photographer want to focus. I don't know why anyone would want it any other way. ;) Use the back-button to set focus, half-press the shutter to lock exposure, then fully depress to capture your photo. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

To set it up go to Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => AEL/AFL. There you can set Single AF, C-AF, and MF modes. Mode 3 is the one that assigns any of those AF types to the back-button. If you set MF to Mode 3, then that will still give you MF capabilities with the focus ring, but will add S-AF capabilities to the back-button. If you set C-AF to Mode 3, that will give you continuous AF as long as you hold down the back-button. You can also set S-AF to Mode 3, but in my opinion this is redundant if you have MF set to to Mode 3. You get S-AF + MF by using MF Mode 3 anyways. I just leave S-AF to the default Mode 1 just in case I ever for whatever crazy reason want to switch to shutter-focus. But I never do. ;)

Next, after you have your AF modes set, all you need to do is assign your AFL button, which will be your back focus button. On the Pen and OM-D cameras this is in Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => Button Function, but this is the one part that can vary between models. For instance, on my old E-System cameras there was only one AFL button but it could be swapped to the Fn button so you had two choices instead (if I remember, I think the E-P1 was the same). With the newer PEN cameras your possibilities are much more expandable, and the OM-D has the most customizable buttons yet, allowing you to use the Fn1, Fn2, or Record buttons which are right by your right fingers for easy access. I would also suggest setting one of these to ISO. ;)

Of course, you then need to go through your regular control panel to set your camera to use one of the AF types that you have set to Mode 3, or use Menu => Sprocket => AF/MF => AF Mode to do that.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What is "Brenizer stitching tectonic"?
  8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    M mode, set the shutter speed and aperture manually, and manual focus, focusing either manualy or with the AFL button.
  9. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks, great tip Ned, it is working perfectly...

Yes, M was my last option... But it is fun to use all that technology...:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

11. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Me too but if suitable I'll use a Westonmaster V with incident light attachment to get the exposure right.