Exploring the Gx8 and images (anyone can post in this thread...

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just got a G9 off B&S here. Selling one Gx8 but keeping the other. I think it will be a nice combination. I just think the G9 will be a better birding body for me with the PL100-400.

Tmuss

New to Mu-43
For those who have both the GX8 and G9, do you find you are getting better image quality from the G9? Debating whether to get the 100-400 lens or the G9. Can't do both at present. I find image quality to be pretty equal between the GX7 and GX8 (actually prefer the GX7 for day to day use) and don't want to invest in another body if I won't see improved image quality.
buzzard.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
buzzard.jpg
flower.jpg

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very hard question to answer. I would go lens then body. I have Gx8 and G9. G9 is very good BIF. Seems somewhat better @ 3200 ISO IMHO,

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Just had a 16:9 ratio of Hobart harbour printed onto a 30 X 20 paper. I think the 20mp sensor has done it easily. Don't write off the GX8 , its still a fantastic imaging tool.

IMG_20190805_165743572.jpg

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I had 2 Gx8 (OP of thread) and when I got the G9 I made the decision to sell one and keep the other (until it dies). While the G9 is a technical marvel, the Gx8 imho is a "form follows function" piece of art. I love the Gx8 and think it was in fact a camera that over time will be seen to be as great as it was, not withstanding those Idiots reviewers at another forum.

ZapWizard

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
I don't think I will ever give up my GX8 unless Panasonic comes out with a real successor. (As in no dropped features, same/similar body)

It is the best combination of function and form. The tilting viewfinder makes it so much nicer to take photos, and more steady since you can tuck your arms into your chest instead of holding them up in front of your face. The viewfinder resolution and color are so good, that I can actually see the photo I am taking. I can review the outcome instantly, even when out in the sun. We have a GX85 at the office, and when I go to use it, I realize just how good we have it with the GX8. It is like looking at a huge 4K TV, instead of some postage stamp sized screen.

The articulated display is also a must. You can't always have the camera at an angle which is ideal for your head to be behind the camera when doing video. The same goes for astrophotography.

With a Peak-design wrist strap: I can carry the GX8 in my hand for miles of walking without it getting tired. The grip allows you to carry it loosely on your finger tips without needing to clamp down on the body like my other cameras beforehand.

The sensor pulls so much detail out of the shadows, I never feel like I have to worry about trading highlights for shadow.
The controls are well placed. The only con I have is hitting the right most part of the nav pad with my palm occasionally.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Impromptu snapshot using the little Oly flash bounced off a wall. Nothing special, just wanted to post something in this thread, lol !

1040039-03.jpeg

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
When it comes to taking pictures in churches etc I prefer the GX8 to the G80.
P1150485_DxO.jpg

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Sometimes a camera and lens combo can add up to far more than the (theoretical) sum of it's parts. For me, that combo is the Gx8 and 15mm Summilux. I don't know how to quantify why, or what it is. Best sensor? No. Best Stabilisation? Nope. Best viewfinder? Not anymore. AF joystick? No. Best all-round focal length? Probably not. Best processing engine? Nah. Weathersealed combo? Yeah nah.

But when I put these two together, I just love them. I feel like it's special, or that I'm special ( I'm not, I'm a very average photographer) or it makes me want to work harder to find shots that justify this type of setup. Or something. I just don't know. Maybe it's because it's quite plain and utilitarian in design? "Listen mate, Don't worry about fancy mono modes, or colour wheels, or tracking eye AF, or 23 stops of dynamic range. Just turn the aperture ring, point me at something, find an angle and take the damn shot!"

But I think if we had a camera/1 lens rule, this might still be the one I choose. It's just fun and I feel good using it. I find myself admiring how it looks and how it feels in the hand. I imagine its how Leica M owners feel with a 35mm onboard. There's just something so right about how it works for me.

All mildly tweaked jpegs.

1040106-02.jpeg

1040107-02.jpeg

1040086-02.jpeg

1040100-01.jpeg

1040092-01.jpeg

1040082-02.jpeg

1040088-02.jpeg

1040103-01.jpeg

1040105-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
A summer fete dogs trying to get at the treats!
In the event one of the smaller dogs got loose and ate all of the bacon treats. It was meant to be a test of obedience, that didn’t happen!
AFC4B08E-10B1-4FF5-BE27-8E99FBCACC55.jpeg

GX8 + Lumix 20mm @ 1/60 f4 ISO200

Last edited:

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Stone Mason at work!
F40B96D0-077D-49BD-95CF-00A66B435B49.jpeg

GX8 + lumix 20mm @ 1/60 f4 ISO800

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
1040242-01.jpeg

1040252-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
1040347-02.jpeg

1040190-01.jpeg

1040157-02.jpeg

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I'm not one for exploring my camera's tech features, but i gave the "panorama" function on the GX8 a go and i have to say, i'm impressed that we can do this in-camera! There's a little bit of vertical banding in the sky that emerged when i added a little clarity in snapseed, but hey, its a jpeg file that otherwise received no time in post.

1040212(0)-01.jpeg

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
1040320-01.jpeg

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Sometimes a camera and lens combo can add up to far more than the (theoretical) sum of it's parts. For me, that combo is the Gx8 and 15mm Summilux. I don't know how to quantify why, or what it is. Best sensor? No. Best Stabilisation? Nope. Best viewfinder? Not anymore. AF joystick? No. Best all-round focal length? Probably not. Best processing engine? Nah. Weathersealed combo? Yeah nah.

But when I put these two together, I just love them. I feel like it's special, or that I'm special ( I'm not, I'm a very average photographer) or it makes me want to work harder to find shots that justify this type of setup. Or something. I just don't know. Maybe it's because it's quite plain and utilitarian in design? "Listen mate, Don't worry about fancy mono modes, or colour wheels, or tracking eye AF, or 23 stops of dynamic range. Just turn the aperture ring, point me at something, find an angle and take the damn shot!"

But I think if we had a camera/1 lens rule, this might still be the one I choose. It's just fun and I feel good using it. I find myself admiring how it looks and how it feels in the hand. I imagine its how Leica M owners feel with a 35mm onboard. There's just something so right about how it works for me.

All mildly tweaked jpegs.

View attachment 772629

View attachment 772630

View attachment 772631

View attachment 772633

View attachment 772634

View attachment 772632

View attachment 772635

View attachment 772636

View attachment 772637

A beautiful set of photographs, and really beautifully processed, too. Have to agree with you about that...special synergy....between the GX8 and the 15mm lens. I have pretty much kept the 15mm on the GX8 ever since acquiring it (the lens I mean) because...not only did the camera + lens combination 'feel right' - but somehow, the Pana-Leica glass, coupled with the GX8's sensor .... seem to do special things.

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
One of the first images taken with my new (used, really, but new to me) 12-35mm Panasonic zoom lens. I haven't been partial to zooms for some years but I think these things go in cycles, and the combination of Power OIS + relatively compact size + a fixed f/2.8 aperture more or less convinced me that it was worth trying. This is one of the first images taken with it, mounted on my GX8 ---

Halloween_Sale_VSCOPortra160Alt+AI.jpg

The jury is still out...but I think this will prove to be a rather fine camera + lens combination.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Even though I have a G9 (which is just an amazing piece of technology) there is still that "special feeling" when I pick up the Gx8. And yes it tends to sing with a 12-35. I think perhaps a PenF and the Gx8 are in way seminal cameras for M43. Both seem to be cameras that resonate with users. My G9 is very much like the Nikons I used to use, photographically stellar, but not making a connection to artist in me. The Gx8 is the first M43 camera that I am keeping until it doesn't work or I can't get batteries.

Last edited:
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Another from the GX8 + 12-35 Lumix zoom combination - this time with a monochrome black & white conversion -

S-A-L-Esilverefex.jpg

It seems like every time I take the GX8 out for shooting .... just handling it reminds me of why it is a great camera to take photographs with.

Pairing it with a fine lens, just makes the results better ;)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom