Explore Buffalo's Silo City Vertical tour

Real Name
Mark
During a recent trip to Buffalo, NY I snuck away from the relatives for a few hours to take a tour of the not-really-abandoned but decommissioned grain elevators/silos. It was absolutely fascinating and worth every penny of the $40 admission.

At it's height, Buffalo processed a huge amount of the food for the US, particularly grains. Cheerios are still made there by General Mills. Since the Erie Canal ceased to be a major commercial route, the need for the number of grain elevators/silos has been steadily decreasing. The city is slowly reclaiming and repurposing the area. In the meantime, visiting them on this tour is an interim step in their redevelopment. They are also used for performance space and for art installations.

This tour made for challenging shooting as it was quite dark in there but with a brilliantly bright day outside. Several of these are HDR because it was necessary to capture the detail in the dark. If I were to do it again, I'd rent the Oly 7-14 f2.8 as my Oly 9-18 f4-5.6 was struggling both with the darkness and the necessary field of view. I'd also take a backpacking tripod and a remote trigger for the HDRs.

I'd love some suggestions on maintaining vertical lines when shooting with a wide lens. I didn't really have a lot of choice in lenses. I was expecting to mix it up but the Oly 9-18 never left the camera. Everything was close and there was soooo much to capture.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-1 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-2 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-3 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-4 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-5 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-6 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-7 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-9 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-10 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-11 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-13 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-16 by Defective Monk, on Flickr
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-17 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
Great images. Glad to hear you enjoyed the grain elevator tour. Next visit to Buffalo, check out the Central Terminal, Buffalo's old train station. Their organization runs similar tours.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
To help maintain vertical lines, use the level guide. The horizontal axis must be level at least. If you're not going to do perspective correction PP then the vertical axis also has to be straight.

That will get it approximations correct. Generally there's still some minor adjustment to do in PP.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom