1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Explanation of intelligent ISO and intelligent exposure?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ~tc~, Dec 12, 2010.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I got the David Busch GF1 book hoping for details on these and other features, when to use, what they will do, etc. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book, and haven't seen anything other than these features exist. TBH, ive been pretty disappointed so far - thankfully, I got it on Kindle (for iPad) so no trees had to die for it.

2. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Not sure what you mean, the iA setting usually just ramps up the ISO to give a faster shutter speed and greater depth of field similar to how a compact camera would.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Like, what is the difference between auto ISO and iISO?

I haven't read, or know much at all about iExposure

4. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
  5. ginggreenaninja

ginggreenaninja Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    South Yorkshire
    Auto ISO uses the light meter like a compact to determine the best ISO.

iISO in all Pannys uses zones in the image area to detect subject movement and ups the ISO for faster subjects so that the camera can run a faster shutter speed to reduce blur caused by subject movment.

intelligent exposure is a different feature all together. It comes on in iA mode as a form of backlight compensation. You can see it work if you try to take a portrait with the sun behind the subject and switch between "P" & "iA", watch the subject become clear in iA.

6. ginggreenaninja

Dec 7, 2010
    South Yorkshire
    Just to clear up one of the points made here, it's the OIS (Optical Image Stabiliser) that detects the camera movement, this is then used to move one of the lens elements to stabilise the camera.

7. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Is this the same as using different ISO value in different zone of the sensor ? Like higher ISO in darker area

8. ginggreenaninja

Dec 7, 2010
    South Yorkshire
    That's right. Intelligent Exposure aplies a higher ISO to the darker areas to boost brightness without creating noise in other areas or boosting the whole image which would cause over exposure in the already bright areas.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So doesn't that reduce dynamic range/contrast

10. ginggreenaninja

Dec 7, 2010
    South Yorkshire
    Possibly, but for an Auto mode it's better than under exposure.