Expired: Panasonic DMC-G5KK with 14-42mm $299.99 11/08/2013

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by briloop, Nov 8, 2013.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    • Like Like x 2
  2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    That's a great deal, especially for a new camera.
  3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    I was about to link this! What a great deal.
  4. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Okay, so do I get the G5 w/kit lens plus the Oly 45 or the G6 with kit lens only? Decisions, decisions...:confused:
  5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think G5 and G6 both have same sensor, but the G6 has newer processing engine, better features.
  6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    There is not much of a performance jump between the G5 and the G6, most of the changes were adding some extra features. If you want to shoot a lot of video, the G6 is better. If you shoot mainly stills, the G5 is the better buy for the money.

With the cost savings you can get the Oly 45 or another lens, and that will last you for years. A year from now they'll probably be selling the G6 for $300 by the 45mm will be the same price.

On the other hand, the G6 does come with the newer version of the 14-42 kit lens, which I believe is smaller and slightly better. Not sure that makes up for the price difference either though.
  7. Soar

Soar Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2013
  8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    If you don't want the original 14-42 kit lens, you can get the G5 body only from Roberts and fulfilled by Amazon for $259.
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Body only that's a great deal... Wish I could afford a second body with articulated screen and evf right now.
  10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Yeah, debating about it. I own an EM5 and EPM2 which is really too small for my liking. I'd like to ultimately send it for IR conversion. But I like primes, so it's nice to have a second body. I love the IBIS on the EM5, but I do own the Panny 14-42 II and 45-150, so I could go for a G5. I'm very tempted when these deals pop up, but so far I've held off, because I really don't NEED another body; no body out there right now meets enough of my requirements for me to spend more $$; and the gear I have now is great. The current premium bodies (not considering EM1 or GH3 here) will continue to come down in price albeit more slowly than I'd like, and periodically used ones come up. So I watch and wait, and when the price is right for the compromises of a particular body, I'll snap it up. Might never happen, too. I really wish I could make my EPM2 a little bigger and add another control, so I don't have to push buttons to adjust shutter speed and aperture using the same dial. I'm not picky, no! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wow, I missed posting this on the front page. IMO has to be the best deal in all of MFT at this moment.
  12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    recent gift giving has limited my funds right out of this great deal! woulda been a nice gift!
  13. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    And now it's up to $399.:dash2:
  14. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

I did pull the trigger on that deal. Got the camera the next day. Very nice, I must say.
    Almost immediately after my order, the price went to $399.00. Now it is at $498.00.

Now I'm back in M43 after selling the GX-1 and then the E-PL5. Maybe I'll stick around a bit longer this time.
  15. Bborzell

Bborzell New to Mu-43

Nov 10, 2013
    I stared at this offer for about 10 minutes. Then I did a few years worth of research on Micro Four Thirds (1st time I had heard the term) cameras.

I have three 35 mm film SLRs in a cabinet that have drifted deeper and deeper back out of sight over the years. Still remember the day I sold my Nikon ftn.

Phone cameras and point and shoots seem to have turned photography into a utility for me in recent years and I have considered getting a DSLR several times without following through. A lot of money for a complex machine that looks like it weighs 1/2 as much as a small bowling ball.

Then I saw this deal. It arrives tomorrow. Looking forward to going out with the expressed intent of looking for stuff to shoot rather than just occasionally pulling out my iPhone to capture a cute baby deer.

And, yes. It went from $299 then to $498 today.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Welcome to your new life as an MFT photographer ... and the forum! :biggrin:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  17. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

Got the G5 early on Saturday. Amazon is wonderful.
    I bought the G5 with the kit lens (14-42mm).
    Was able to get out for a stroll and took some casual test shots today. These were shot in RAW and some light PP with cropping applied to the majority.
    I really enjoyed the G5. I had the sense that I was shooting with my Nikon D60 yet smaller and nicer (better build quality). I did like the EVF and Swivel LCD Display.
    The G Vario 1:3.5-5.6/14-42 Mega OIS lens leaves something to be desired, of course but, it did a pretty adequate job for what I require.

Samples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/everhandy/sets/72157637537224604/
  18. Bborzell

Bborzell New to Mu-43

Nov 10, 2013
    Mine arrived on Monday. Fried quite a few brain cells reading the manual. Viewed all 19 tutorials on YouTube. While the complexity of this camera exceeds that of my Pentax Super Program by a few million fold, I am surprised at how quickly I have come to understand many of the setup options.

The manual reads rather torturedly. Advise on this forum is invaluable. Only nit to pick is the rather clunky zoom movement of the std lens.