Experiences with Minolta lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by addieleman, Dec 8, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Just finished a write-up of my experiences with Minolta lenses on Micro Four Thirds cameras. I was triggered by a call from dixeyk on TalkNEX for contributions to the Adapted Rokkor site, but decided to stick with my own site. It's a work in progress of course; a candidate to be added is the MD 35-70/3.5, which I haven't used enough so far to really have an opinion on it.

I only wrote about lenses I actually use for real pictures, so if you see one of the many lenses in my collection that are not featured in the experiences, you can safely assume that I don't like it enough for real use. This isn't always due to lacking optical performance, but can also be caused by sheer impracticality: I don't see myself using the Minolta 200/2.8, despite its excellent image quality.

As they say: hope this helps!

• Like Like x 5
  2. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for sharing this.

I am the type of person that scours the Internet for reviews and best prices before making any purchase. Unfortunately since most adapted lenses were made before the Internet, a lot of the legacy lenses don't have as much info as I'd like. Now, we have another source at least for minolta.

Unfortunately for me I recently bought the 50mm f1.4 (MD 55mm thread) that you don't recommend for low light usage, mostly for exactly that purpose. Fortunately for me I am pretty happy with the results.

It replaces a 50mm 1.8 Nikon E Series. While bigger and heavier, it feels a bit sharper wide open, has way less blue/purple fringing and 'glow' around whites, and looks more contrast wide open too. I had originally wanted the 50mm hexanon 50mm F1.4, which seems a bit sharper wide open but less contrast and has more of the glowing whites in my opinion.

With all this said, I realize there is also sample variation due to manufacturing and also how the lens was treated... One could make a lifetime hobby or drive oneself insane in search of the ultimate legacy 50mm I think.

Anyway, thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Once you've bought a lens it's totally unimportant what everybody else, including me, thinks of it :smile:. Sample variation may indeed play a role here, as well as a difference in judgement on what we like and dislike.
    Appreciated!

4. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Thanks - you might have inspired me to do the same with my growing collection of OM stuff. That is assuming I don't get hooked on these :)

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Please do - I mean, write about OM lenses. Recently on a fair I was this close to buying a very nice set, until I discovered fungus in almost all of the lenses :frown:.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Great stuff. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    Thank you for sharing... I recently get a growing interest in Minolta lenses and have acquired some, such as MC PG 50mm f1.4, MC 55mm f1.7, MC PF 50mm f2, MC 45mm f2, MD 50mm f1.7. Great lenses for a very cheap price...

• Like Like x 2
  8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Great! Let us know sometime what you think of them.

9. limpeh09

limpeh09 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Singapore
    Great info, thanks for sharing ! ???

10. limpeh09

limpeh09 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Singapore