1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Experiences with Bill Me Later

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by lrlebron, Jul 11, 2013.

1. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I am thinking on using Bill Me Later for some purchases. I would appreciate if you could share your experiece (good, bad or otherwise) with me before I use the service.

thanks,

Luis

2. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I have had no problems with the service at all. I've used it for about a year. Its pretty much just a online PayPal credit card

Sent from my ADR3010 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have no experience with BML per say, but in general the right advice for buying on credit is to not to.

In the case of technology items like cameras, where next year, when you are paying for a purchase you made today, you could buy something newer and nicer if you had saved the same money for a year.

4. joesilver

joesilver Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2012
    I generally agree that it's best to avoid buying on credit if it means paying finance charges (although I admit I have done so with camera gear). However, Bill Me Later, as its terms currently stand, can be a good deal. I bought the Olympus 60mm macro lens using Bill Me Later, and am making small monthly payments interest-free. One just needs to be careful to pay off the entire amount before the grace period expires.

5. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Bill Me Later usually involves a hard-pull. If you have a decent credit-score, I would personally go with something that actually earns you money. Bill Me Later shouldn't take much of a score to get the loan. I've never used Bill Me Later, but it can't be too bad if you have to pay something over time. I know it's way off-topic, but have you looked at the Southwest Airline personal and business credit-cards? They're running an awesome limited-time special.

Each card will still be a hard-pull and a ding on your credit, but at least you get 50,000 Southwest points after you meet some spending requirements. (Should you pull both on the same day from one bank it should still be one pull total for 2 apps. Might as well take the chance.) If you're approved for both, you can get 100,000 points plus a free companion tickets year-round; meaning buy-one-get-one-free tickets on all Southwest flights. 50K points also translates to $500 in Amazon Gift-Cards. Double that and you can get almost anything you want from Amazon for free. Just an FYI, btw. :biggrin:

6. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I've used it a few times for 6 month no payments, no interest deals, and it has been fine for that. Just make sure that you pay off the balance in time, the interest rates are high, and like all no interest deals, deferred interest is calculated each month and will be added if you don't pay the balance off. So my experience has been good, but Brian does make a valid point about looking at some of the credit card deals out there. I've had really cheap airfare to Hawaii a couple times due to some credit card miles deals.

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I pay for almost everything, even groceries and happy hour drinks, with credit. A lot more convenient than cash and I get massive frequent traveler miles. I've never paid any interest as I always pay off the balance in full each month.

I also have Bill Me Later but have only used it once in order to get the promotional discount and immediately cleared the balance. It worked fine and I've never had any problems with my PayPal accounts.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I've used it once just for the promotional credit. Dont look at it as a CC though, look at like an Amex charge card....the APR is very high for BML. As Peter above me said, you are better off using a rewards card. If you pay it off in full each month, then you're basically getting free money from the CC company :)
    If you end up not being to pay it in full, the APR on your CC will most definitely be much lower than BML

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    You, like me, take advantage of the fact that credit deals are oriented for the credit companies to get their hooks into the 90+ percent of the population who don't have the discipline or wherewithal to pay off all of their credit cards prior to the interest-free grace period from expiring. If you can do it this way, you are basically getting free use of short-term money, often with extra perks like frequent flyer miles or hotel points or a small amount of cash back. But, as I said, most folks lack the ability to pay these debts off before the interest kicks in. But if you can, it can be a great deal. I've personally accumulated many thousands of dollars of travel awards and hundreds of dollars of cash back - without ever paying a dime of credit card interest. Credit card companies hate folks like you and me.

10. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I would STAY AWAY from Bill Me Later!! I had used them several times in the past. I always paid on time and paid off the complete balance on time. I NEVER paid late, never defaulted.

Last year when I went to make another purchase at B&H using Bill Me Later (same amount I had purchased several times in the past) , my transaction was denied. I called Bill Me Later to find out why they had denied my transaction and they informed me they needed to verify I was who I said I was!!!

I explained to them I had been a client of theirs for years and gave them all my previous account info. I also made it very clear that I had NEVER defaulted, NEVER made one single late payment and paid my balances in full at the agreed time.

They did not care. They told me I had to send a copy of my driver's license, copy of utilities in my name. I did so. I verified they received my info. They blew me off completely anyway and would not return my calls or email requests!! I asked to speak with supervisors several times and was denied.

I seriously think it was a big mistake on my part sending them my ID verification info. Their lack of response can only lead me to believe that they have dishonest employees who probably used my personal info for fraudulent purposes. Whey else did they not respond to my legitimate responses to their ID verification requests?

I LOST TRUST WITH Bill Me Later and would urge everyone to stay away from them. Use anyone else but them!

p.s. If (and I highly doubt it) anyone who works for Bill Me Later reads this post, I welcome you to respond and contact me.

My final statement to anyone considering Bill Me Later:

DON'T TRUST BILL ME LATER!!!!!

11. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Using monthly payments to buy tech equipment is a fool's game.
    Good luck.

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    In the industry you are called a deadbeat!

Fred

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    I call it beating the credit card companies at their own game. :biggrin:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

14. Meph

Meph Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2013
    Reston, VA, USA
    Keith
    I've used Bill Me Later twice without an issue on my purchases. As long as you pay the loan off before the 6/9/ or 12 months is over for the promotion it is all good. I tend to pay things like this off a couple months early to make sure I don't miss the date.

If there is a chance you may go over the promotional period in paying it off, you are better off using a regular credit card as there interest rate is high and they charge interest from the date of purchase if not paid off during the promotional period.

And yes, I'm one of those people the credit card people would call a deadbeat as I almost always pay my credit cards off in time to avoid any interest. However, they must be happy just getting transaction fees, since they keep sending me "pre-approved" card offers for me to throw into the recycling bin.