1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Experiences with 85mm lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hnaa, Feb 4, 2013.

1. hnaa

hnaa New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Hi all, I have been thinking about getting an 85mm lens for my OM-D. I have been considering getting a Nikon AIS 85/1.4 or a Samyang 85/1.4. But I would like to hear from anyone with experiences with manual 85mm lenses on m43.

2. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    I use a canon fd 85 1.2 on my gf1 from time to time. It is not the most ergonomic but it really does produce wonderful colours and resolution. Had best results using a monopod to keep things steady. Look forward one day to attaching it to a full frame compact!

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I had the Rokinon (samyang) 85mm with my om-d. It was a surprisingly sharp lens wide open. The main reason I wanted it was a "cheap 75mm replacement" as a long portrait lens, the problem was that my subjects would not stay still long enough to allow focusing and composing. Those subjects were three young children though so its all relative.

Still subjects/studio work it would be great, handling was good as long as I had my grip on.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I have the Rokinon 85mm, too - luckily my kids are at that age when I can keep them still long enough to get a good shot. Maybe 3 times out of 5. :biggrin: Mostly though the error is on the man behind the lens.

The images I get if/when I nail it right are gorgeous (at least for my taste). That's the only problem though -- the "if/when" part. But that's not enough for me to depart with this lens. The positives I get are more than enough vs the resale value, and I figure I can probably get better with enough practice/bonding.

See the sample thread, for an idea of the images you'll get from this lens.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I've got a Konica Hexanon 85/1.8 and I'll just echo what everyone else has said - at this length manual focusing with shallow depth of field gets pretty difficult. If you have time to nail the focus you can turn out some pretty nice images though. I don't have many opportunities to use mine, the 45-50mm range is more flexible (in my opinion) and also great for portraits.

6. clockwork247

clockwork247 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    My minolta MC 85 1.7 ain't 1/2 bad... the real sticky situation with these is that they're expensive. the samyang is cheap but a few people didn't like it's rendering (well if you call 300 bucks cheap lol).

7. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I also have a Minolta 85 f1.7 which I bought in the late '60's or early '70's. I did not like it for film. I don't use it much on my G2, but when I do I get nice results. If you buy one, you'll probably keep it for those times when it's just right for the job.

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have the Minolta 85/2 - I wanted a smaller lens than the f1.4 options. It has become my favorite adapted lens. It is very similar in size to the Oly 75/1.8.

Here is an available light photo of social activist Ron Sider using my GX1 wide open @ 1600ISO and 1/80 sec.

P1000067-L.jpg

And here it is on my (former) GF1:

_1070824-L.jpg

9. hnaa

hnaa New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks guys, I think I might spring on an 85mm. There's a great deal on used, but mint condition, Nikon 85mm 1.4 AIS at a lokal store right now, so I'll get either that one or a new Samyang 85/1.4

10. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    For what it's worth - I have the Rokinon, and it's a fantastic lens. But, I don't use it as much as I'd like because the minimum focus distance, which is about 3.5 feet, is a little too long for my taste. It's also fairly large on a m4/3 camera.

I've had the Minolta 85mm f2 in the past - it's a great lens, and quite a bit smaller. A bit hard to find though, and of course it's not as fast as the 1.4's.

If anyone has a suggestion on an 85mm 1.4 or 1.7/8 with a short minimum focus distance, let me know.

11. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    There are a ton of good fast 85's out there, legacy and newer. I've heard a lot of good things about the Samyang/Rokinon's optics.

My prime in that range is a Leica Summicron-R 90, bought used for not all that much more than the Rokinon's new price.

12. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I tried to put a Canon FD 85mm F1.2 on my OMD, color is quite rich but when it gets to smaller aperture, color in low light can still be improved, but the outlook is just great :)

image-813394436.jpg

Compared with the Zuiko 75mm F1.8, the color is way richer and the bokeh is dreamier.

image-1479118801.jpg

But the equivalent focal length is even stranger than the 75mm :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I have used a Nikon 85 1.4 D on OM-D with adapter and found that it is ok indoors and in shade. But in strong sunlight, i found that the images had strong purple fringing.

14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Samyang{sold under a half dozen other brand names} is an excellent lens. It is also very affordable since you get a new lens with modern coatings. The draw back is that it is a little on the large size.

15. clockwork247

clockwork247 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2013

I would have to check, but the usual suspect is always the same

Olympus 85/2
    Minolta 85/2 85/1.7
    Canon? (not sure about this one but they must have some sort of 85 lol)
    Samyang 85/1.4

If i have a canon camera I would spring for their AF 85 1.8, it's only around 350 used, the ones listed above are getting real close. I know I paid 100 for my minolta 85 1.7 but that was suppose to be on the cheap end, they get up to 200 I believe, and at that point i might as well go for an AF for 150 extra.

16. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I had the Rokinon [rebadged Samyang] 85 f1.4 and loved it for its image quality, wide open, and even better stopped down. However, it's plastic petal lens hood felt fragile by comparison with the Panansonics and worked its way loose under my jacket a couple of times. Replaced the hood with a third-party screw-in metal hood with a plastic cap on the hood — much safer. Have just sold it [and a bunch of other gear] to buy the Oly 75 f1.8, because of the reported image quality and autofocus, which can be very useful with fast-moving subjects such as kids, street life and rock concert artists [my prime subjects in this focal-length range]. For its $300+ price, the Rokinon is really good value.

17. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    For m43 I would go with either the Contax G 90 or the Minolta 85/2. These are very small lens. I have the Minolta and it looks like a regular 50mm lens. Even at f2.8 you get a narrow DOF.

18. 100thmonk

100thmonk New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Have a copy of s steinheil 85mmmade for tower in ltm mount..
    Excellent lens, definitely similar in rendering style to my Leica 95,and the mount Schneider 75mm. But the softest of the three in a pleasing way.
    Love the Schneider c-mount 75mm though..

19. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I've shot with the Leica Summilux-M 75mm f/1.4, 80mm f/1.4 Summilux-R, and the Summicron 90mm f/2. They were are fun but can't imagine paying the prices they cost. My biggest problem with all adapted glass is the abberations and lack of sharpness until you start stopping down. Especially now owning the 75mm f/1.8, which is tack sharp in the center wide open, with easy to fix CA. Sharpness isn't my only consideration in photography, by any means. The only "soft" lens I really still do desire is the Minolta 58mm f/1.2, I love the rendering of that. All the others I could pass on. I considered getting the voigtlaender 75mm f/2.5 (over the f/1.8) for the cost, size, and weight. The M-mount adapter is much smaller than the standard Minolta/Canon/Nikon etc.

In the end, I'm glad I didn't blow more than half the price of what I picked up a used Olympus 75mm for. Plus it's got killer AF and as others have said, focusing a medium telephoto even at f/2.8 isn't an easy task.

Edit: One final note is that I really loved the results that I've gotten from the aforementioned M glass on the X-Pro and X-E1. They look much better close to wide open in comparison to my EM-5. Nice to have rich relatives sometimes ;)

90mm Summicron-M on the EM-5

8226536514_4179b28786_c.jpg
    Spaceship Lights by danska8, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  20. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I also have the Minolta 85mm f/2 and it is one of my favorite adapted lenses. A great combination of size and performance. One note, though: while it is known for being the best Minolta 85mm for edge-to-edge sharpness, due to the cropping of the original FF image, edge sharpness is not that important. For center sharpness, the f/1.7 has a slight edge.