Experiences using the Stylus 1s as a travel camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jeffbet, Dec 12, 2015.

1. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Traveling out of the states in a few months. Have to travel light. This is not a photo trip, but will have opportunities for lots of pictures.

I have E-M10II, 14-42mm Panasonic, 17mm Oly, and 40-150mm Oly.

A friend suggested the Stylus 1s as an alternative (to cut down weight and less to carry). How is image quality?

I'm mostly going to be shooting landscape, architecture and some street.

Of course, once the trip is over, I will still be using the camera.

Thanks

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It all depends on the lighting conditions and what you want to do with the pictures. I have the XZ-2 Olympus which has the same small 1/1.7 sensor. It's only 12 mp and noise becomes apparent by ISO 400. If you're using the pictures for the web or smallish prints, it's okay. If you want image quality reasonably close to your E-M10, and willing to spend the money, I would suggest one of the 1" sensor cameras from Sony, Canon or Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I have the stylus1 and use it as my running camera. It is definitely superior to the XZ2, as I tried that model first. I like how easy it is to switch to manual focus and the menu settings are very similar to the OMD series. The battery life is also very good, better than the EM10. Alternatively, you might look at the 14-42 EZ lens with your EM10, it is very small and overall wouldn't be much bigger than the Stylus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I suggest a GM1 with the P12-32 kit lens. Excellent image quality comparable to your E-M10, tiny size and after your trip it would make a great backup body. Maybe take your 20 along for when you need a faster lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How light is light? Do you need an EVF? How big do you wish to print? What focal length range do you wish to have available? The answers to these four questions should help you narrow down your choices a bit. I am not a fan of sensors that small unless you are only shooting in bright light and wanting to display on the web or send by email. Among others, you might want to look at the LX100, the GM5 or LX7 with the 12-32 (and 35-100 if you have a bit of extra room), or the Ricoh GR if you can work within the wide to normal focal length ranges. Stepping down in size and and sensor (but not in price) is the Sony RX100 series. That is about as small as I would personally want to get as I like to print, and sometimes print large. Right now I have the GR and the GF7 with the two lenses mentioned above. Neither has an EVF, but the screen on the GF7 does tilt, and it is large.

Good luck,

--Ken

6. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Ken,

Thanks for the reply and good questions. The lighter the better. I will be carrying my gear on and off a tour bus all day long. I need an EVF. I've got a Fuji without EVF and an old E-PL2. Great cameras but I like having an EVF which I probably use 1/2 the time I'm shooting. I usually print up to 16 x 20. Focal length range would be fairly wide (say 14mm) with as much reach as I can get. I do have the 9mm BCL which weighs next to nothing.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Seems to me the E-M10II + 14-42mm is plenty light enough. But the Stylus does have the advantage of a 10.7x optical zoom that is f/2.8 through the entire zoom range. So if you simply want to buy the Stylus and are looking for an excuse, go for it. On the other hand the E-M10II + 14-42mm is fully capable of doing most general photography for barely more weight than the Stylus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Useful information. Then I would say a GM5, LX100 or and RX100. The RX100 is truly shirt pocketable, and if you are a good shooter, I suspect that you could pull a nice 16x20 out of its sensor. My GF7, which is only a bit larger than the GM5 can be put into a jacket cargo pocket, but it is bigger than my GR which can slip into a shirt pocket (but just barely). The biggest downside to the Sonys are their prices. The last two models have EVFs, but they are not cheap, and you really pay a price premium for the new version of their sensor. Battery life is also an issue that I consider, because as soon as you need an additional battery (or have a large charger) then they should be considered in the equation as well.

--Ken

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I use an ZX-2 (same sensor, different lens) as a throw around camera that I always have on me or in the car and it does the job pretty well, I personally don't mind the noise at higher ISOs as I process the RAWs rather than using JPEG - the JPEG does start to fall apart pretty quickly though. If the lens is as good as the ZX-2 it would be very hard to fault as a travel camera.

If I were to convey one virtue it would be the sensor shift stabilization as it never fails to amaze me, it's better than the E-M1 with an equivalent focal length in my experience. (probably because the sensor is so small, it's easy for the stabilization to move quickly and thus more effective)
    A second virtue would be the leaf shutter allowing 1/2000th of a second flash sync, no clue if it's a feature shared with the stylus 1s however.

Downside is the camera is not really pocketable (different model, ymmv).

10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It really depends if you need the reach of the stylus1. If you do the only comparable 1 inch sensor alternatives are the RX-10, the Pana FZ1000 or the Canon G3X. But these are not pocketable at all. The Canon G5X instead is a similar sized 1 inch option.

How is the image quality really depends on you. I used a LX-5 (same size sensor, older gen) for a couple of years and I had nothing to complain about up to 400 ISO and 800 was acceptable. It does not seem much, but the lens was a 2.0-3.3, quite bright on the whole range.
    I moved to m43 because the 24-90 focal range was not enough for wildlife, otherwise I think that the reach of 90/100mm is not so bad for travel photos.

IMO the Stylus1 is not a small camera. It's small only if you consider the focal range it covers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The OP stated that he generally prints 16"x20". I take pictures with the intention of printings the ones I like, and my experience is that 12"x16" prints are just okay if shot at ISO100 with a 1/1.7" sensor camera. I wouldn't buy a Stylus 1 with the intention of printing at his typical size.

I finally got a LX100 as a walk around camera that I can make prints at these sizes at something other than base ISO.

• Like Like x 1