Experiences/anecdotes on GX85 weather resistance

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I've used my GX7 in moderate snow (which is nice, because you can just brush most of it off) and very light rain, but never anything more than that, given that it is not rated as weather-sealed.

For weather resistance in any kind of heavier situations (downpours, direct splashes, etc...) having a weather-sealed lens is at least as important as a weather-sealed body. Without the gasket between the lens and the mount, water will makes it way into the body, even on a body that's considered to be sealed.

Really though, if it's just a hike near the sea, I wouldn't think twice about using it, though. That doesn't sound bad at all. Even if the weather looked threatening, I would just make sure I could stow it under a coat if things got really bad.

chaconi

World Tourist
Real Name
Not Chaconi
I have been taking photos near the sea for decades with no issues (we are talking salted spray here). It's only now for the first time do I have weather sealing all the way around with the GX8 and 12-60 kit. Go for it.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I had two GX85s at a local March for Science last weekend. It started to rain lightly at the very end. No problem.

When I'm shooting in the rain with a non-WR camera, I try to limit its direct exposure to rain and will try to wipe it down from time to time with a rag or piece of clothing to prevent a drop to collect and drop into a crevice. It's worked so far.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I don't see any reference to any weather sealing on it. However there are decent inexpensive workarounds. The simplest is a one gallon ziplock bag (with a good closure), you can make a hole for the lens and put a rubber band around the ziplock bag material where it is over the lens barrel (and a good fitting UV filter should protect the outer lens element and it's edge sealing from a bit of rain). BTW I've carried a one gallon ziplock bag in camera bag for years to stuff gear in if caught in a downpour. Twice this has saved my camera.

Another route might be an underwater/waterproof case like this one:

DiCAPac WP-S5 Waterproof Case for Small DSLR Cameras WP-S5 B&H

While I wouldn't trust diving very far down with this, several reviewers reported using it for river trips and foul weather (this includes one newsperson). This case fits Canon Rebel series so it should work with the GX85.

Hope this info helps.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
My 12-60 Pan-Leica lens arrived last night and it says "splash-proof" on it; they then explain is not waterproof and don't take it underwater, and a few more CYA stmts.

I expect my GX85 says the same thing on the box or manual...

I'd cut a lens hole in a plastic bag and reach up thru the bottom to operate the camera if I did not want to buy a waterproof housing for use in the rain.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
My 12-60 Pan-Leica lens arrived last night and it says "splash-proof" on it; they then explain is not waterproof and don't take it underwater, and a few more CYA stmts.

I expect my GX85 says the same thing on the box or manual...

No claims of being "splash proof" or having weather sealing are made for the GX85 so normal precautions against getting the body wet are in order. The GX8 does carry "splash proof" in the description in the overview on B&H. The G85 with the 12-60 "kit" lens offered with it is described as being splash proof also.

I'd cut a lens hole in a plastic bag and reach up thru the bottom to operate the camera if I did not want to buy a waterproof housing for use in the rain.

I actually did this for a Hasselblad 500CM in preparation for an outdoor wedding that was likely to be subjected to an expected downpour. I use one of the fairly heavy poly vinyl bags the labs used for mounted 16x20 prints. I cut two holes in it, one for the square lens hood on the 80mm zeiss planar lens (with UV filter in place) and one for the eyepiece of the prism finder on top of the camera. Both holes were held snug and tight around the hood and eyepiece with rubber bands.

I didn't have to put it to the test, the wedding was moved into a room in the nearby convention center but I believe it would have kept even a heavy downpour off the camera while still allowing me to work with it.

Sam0912

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Sam Roberts
I must say my poor old GF1 has taken every beating you can think of and still works perfectly (did have to do a serious clean after a coffee spill at a wedding, the shutter release mode lever got stuck). It actually survived the most impressive thunder storm I've ever seen in Dubrovnik, Croatia, even have a video on the walls where you hear a loud "ouch" as a massive hailstone hits the back of my head. I did hide it away for large parts of that storm, which led to me buying an em5, but as I type that em5 has a panny 14mm non sealed lens attached, so won't be much better sealed than the gf1 combo in Dubrovnik. One thing about beaches though, the most water proof camera in the world will be corroded by sea water, so I normally take the em5 and P12-35, and rinse it under a slow tap afterwards to get that salt water off. Be safe and use protection is my general mantra!

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Hi team,

I'm looking for anecdotes and experiences (not WAGs or criticism or other stuff to buy or who to vote for - please) of the level of weather resistance of the Panasonic GX85. Just trying to be prepared for a long hike, possibly near the sea at times.

Thanks in advance.
--walt++
Also, since you are going to the beach, don't forget to protect your lens as well. A good UV filter would add some comfort knowing that your lens is not going to get sand blasted! :)
GR

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
UV filters on the lens, lens hood to protect from some sand and spray. Optech plastic sleeve and micro fibre glass cloth to mop up spills.

Last edited:

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
If it's not raining, the sand would frighten me more than the water.

In either situation, I probably wouldn't use the kit 12-32 lens in situations where I was worried about damage -- I like the lens a lot, but it seems delicate and I feel like a bit of sand in there and I'd never be able to retract it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom