Experienced photographer taking first dip into M4/3 on a budget

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
The savings seems to be only on GX85s as the OMD EM10 Mkii are a similar price already in NZ. I also have to work out tax and it'll take a couple of weeks to get here and clear customs. maybe this is a reason to go with the OMD?
If you are able to find a
Yes I have that in my watch list. What would you say are the downsides to buying a gx7 over the others
I really enjoyed the gx7. The ibis is only 3 axis and the evf isn't great, but other than that its a really good option. The build is excellent, layout is very good, and it's fun to shoot with.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Love this place, start a thread about how to make a great photo and get five replies, then make a thread about concerns of a new camera house and get three pages in three days :) we all love gear huh?!
giving advice on buying gear is easy, as long as one has money
giving advice on how to make a great photo requires skills/knowledge and that's hard to come by
"Great photo" however is subjective and what works for me might not work for you :)

I own a GX7 and EM1ii, both great cameras. If you can live without super fast C-AF+Tracking of the EM1ii then the GX7 will definitely give you a great taste for the m43 system. The ergonomics are fantastic, especially considering the small body. The menus IMO are well designed and logical. The IQ is good and auto focus is fine in S-AF, C-AF performance is acceptable in good light, I had no luck with C-AF+Tracking. In my opinion the GX7 is a camera that punches way above its price point.

Edit: I've also used the GX-8, I find both the EM1II and the GX7 more comfortable to hold.

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you are able to find a

I really enjoyed the gx7. The ibis is only 3 axis and the evf isn't great, but other than that its a really good option. The build is excellent, layout is very good, and it's fun to shoot with.
Small and seemed to flare easily. It's definitely usable when needed. I still consider picking up another one. I would place its performance slightly below the em10ii, but it's looks slightly above.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
Im using the hugh and bright Olympus vf-4 and still thinks the evf on gx7 is more than OK, it's not bugging me or making any deal breaker kind of statements to me at least. I can only speak of myself but having a 1/8000 shutter which I use very often is more worth than better ibis, and better evf from the newer bodies. In best of worlds you could try them all for one week. Me, I wouldn't trade my "old" gx7 even for a em10iii

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My opinion having owned
EM10, EM5II, and em1.

Em1 $450 used
Oly 25 1.8 $250 used
Oly 45 1.8 $250 used
Oly 40-150 $100 new
$950 for that kit then add either kit lens or 17 1.8 if budget allows.
You could also substitute the primes for the stellar 12-40pro for $500used

All purchased here in the classifieds from trusted members. The performance would smoke most other options.

scotttnz

Mu-43 Veteran
My opinion having owned
EM10, EM5II, and em1.

Em1 $450 used
Oly 25 1.8 $250 used
Oly 45 1.8 $250 used
Oly 40-150 $100 new
$950 for that kit then add either kit lens or 17 1.8 if budget allows.
You could also substitute the primes for the stellar 12-40pro for $500used

All purchased here in the classifieds from trusted members. The performance would smoke most other options.

Prices in US$ from sellers who only ship within the US? Doesn’t help when:

My budget is about NZ$1000

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Like many other have said before, my feeling is the question of the glass should really come first, because in the end that's what stays unless you make a terrible mistake and get a lemon, while bodies come an go.
Now, on that suject, all the kit zooms are fine, by and large. A lot of people seem to like the compact P12-32 for its sharpness. Personnaly, I chose the O12-50 from the E-M5 kit, for versatility in spite of lesser performances. To each his own.
But kit zooms are slow, and your first fast prime is a real eye opener (pun intended). Again, the choice is endless.
On a budget, there are the pancake P14/2.5 for those who like wide-ish FoV, P25/1.7 for a normal and O45/.18 for portrait. You can grab any of those 2nd hand for circa a 100 €/US $.
With a bit more money, the O17/1.8 is the only true equivalent to the 35mm FoV of film photgraphy. Everything else is really expensive.
I don't recommend the P20/1.7 although I had one for years. Its AF performance are abysmal compared to more recent lens. The glass is fine, but it's becoming a liability for the system.
I know nothing of longer focals, that's not my playground.
Also, be warned that while :mu43: is a standard, Panasonic bodies correct chromatic aberrations only for Panasonic lens, and Olympus bodies correct CA only for Olympus lens.

Once you get at least a roadmap of the focals you need now, and the ones you're going to get later, the choice of the body will probably be much easier. Resist the temptation of buying a body because it's in a kit with more zooms ; you may very well end up with a body you don't like paired to zooms you don't use.
OTH,
M.

Last edited:
14 years ago or in 2014?

The FZ1000 was released in 2014, there was an FZ10 14 years ago.
Oh, my bad! It was the DMC-FZ20, released in 2004. It's a workhorse that's only needed some batteries over the years. Shot in JPG and TIFF (before RAW came into common use).
My wife picked out a Sony HX-90V a couple of years ago and we had such a horrible time getting it repaired (under warranty! Sent it back three times until I demanded a new camera which they provided) that I swore I'd never buy another Sony. I've had very good luck with Panasonic electronics; rarely had any sort of issues. The GX85 is built like a tank; while I would have made some design changes, I realize nothing is perfect so the few "alterations" I've made (eyecup + grip) have made this a very comfortable camera to use.

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
Like many other have said before, my feeling is the question of the glass should really come first, because in the end that's what stays unless you make a terrible mistake and get a lemon, while bodies come an go.
Now, on that suject, all the kit zooms are fine, by and large. A lot of people seem to like the compact P12-32 for its sharpness. Personnaly, I chose the O12-50 from the E-M5 kit, for versatility in spite of lesser performances. To each his own.
But kit zooms are slow, and your first fast prime is a real eye opener (pun intended). Again, the choice is endless.
On a budget, there are the pancake P14/2.5 for those who like wide-ish FoV, P25/1.7 for a normal and O45/.18 for portrait. You can grab any of those 2nd hand for circa a 100 €/US $.
With a bit more money, the O17/1.8 is the only true equivalent to the 35mm FoV of film photgraphy. Everything else is really expensive.
I don't recommend the P20/1.7 although I had one for years. Its AF performance are abysmal compared to more recent lens. The glass is fine, but it's becoming a liability for the system.
I know nothing of longer focals, that's not my playground.
Also, be warned that while :mu43: is a standard, Panasonic bodies correct chromatic aberrations only for Panasonic lens, and Olympus bodies correct CA only for Olympus lens.

Once you get at least a roadmap of the focals you need now, and the ones you're going to get later, the choice of the body will probably be much easier. Resist the temptation of buying a body because it's in a kit with more zooms ; you may very well end up with a body you don't like paired to zooms you don't use.
OTH,
M.

In terms of glass I like wide apertures and nice depth of field above all else. I’ll probably be looking for a 20mm 1.8 prime and a 40ish f1.8 eventually however I need to keep in mind that I’m going for portability here so would be silly not to get a small pancake zoom as a daily driver.

The Panny-Leica 25 1.4 can be had for a good price (Sub $500 CAD) If prices in NZ are the same as here in Canada you can do the GX7 with the 25 prime for a good combo of approx $1000NZ and in the long run will give you a very good and versatile piece of glass..

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Oh, my bad! It was the DMC-FZ20, released in 2004. It's a workhorse that's only needed some batteries over the years. Shot in JPG and TIFF (before RAW came into common use).
My wife picked out a Sony HX-90V a couple of years ago and we had such a horrible time getting it repaired (under warranty! Sent it back three times until I demanded a new camera which they provided) that I swore I'd never buy another Sony. I've had very good luck with Panasonic electronics; rarely had any sort of issues. The GX85 is built like a tank; while I would have made some design changes, I realize nothing is perfect so the few "alterations" I've made (eyecup + grip) have made this a very comfortable camera to use.
My son had the FZ35.

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
The Panny-Leica 25 1.4 can be had for a good price (Sub $500 CAD) If prices in NZ are the same as here in Canada you can do the GX7 with the 25 prime for a good combo of approx $1000NZ and in the long run will give you a very good and versatile piece of glass..

I'd love that leica lens. Ill keep an eye out for it.

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
NZ Post operate an agency in the US called Ushop specifically for the benefit of NZ shoppers trying to buy from a US seller who won't ship offshore. (NB the system also has separate agencies in UK and China).
The US seller ships to Ushop in Portland Oregon, and Ushop redirects it to you in NZ. A free service by Ushop, and the postage seems to be cheaper too. Any import charges are handled this end by NZPost, and at their discretion.
I have used the service a few times, only problem is the added delay to shipping.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
NZ Post operate an agency in the US called Ushop specifically for the benefit of NZ shoppers trying to buy from a US seller who won't ship offshore. (NB the system also has separate agencies in UK and China).
The US seller ships to Ushop in Portland Oregon, and Ushop redirects it to you in NZ. A free service by Ushop, and the postage seems to be cheaper too. Any import charges are handled this end by NZPost, and at their discretion.
I have used the service a few times, only problem is the added delay to shipping.
not aware of Ushop but I have tried a few forward shippers and the really professional and with many levels of service (not just one fee fits all) is www.shipito.com
From 3 day expedited service (which one pays usually with a limb :() to the Air Economy which is cheaper than sending internally in Australia!
Speed varies according to the money one is prepared to pay
63 shipments later and they stuffed up once which was promptly refunded
There are options out there...

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
In the end I had another feel of the two and I will go for the OMD E-M10 mkii. It really just came down to the feel of the thing in my hand in the end as I think several of you said right back at the beginning of the thread. Ill definitely be on the search for some good glass to go with it but will take my time over that. Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom