Experienced photographer taking first dip into M4/3 on a budget

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
used GX85 for $50 to $500 here in the US (and it's what I got)

the Panny Leicas are great lenses

also the low DR of slide film is good prep. for m43 sensors...

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
used GX85 for $50 to $500 here in the US (and it's what I got)

the Panny Leicas are great lenses

also the low DR of slide film is good prep. for m43 sensors...

The used market here is much more limited in terms of m4/3.

I remember changing from shooting in black and white (hp5, delta100 etc) and then the shock after moving to velvia regarding DR, lol.

Last edited:

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
Finally, a good video (from a mainly Panasonic user) in praise of the E-M10 mk II :

HTH,
M.

I have watched quite a few of this guys videos before coming to the forum and they really are a pleasure to watch. He also has a similar sense of humour to me.

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
So in summary?

EM10 mkii

+
More customisable
Metal top and bottom
Better stabilisation

-
No 4k

GX85

+
Great touch screen
Touch Pad focuses better

-
Small EVF

I will keep an eye on trademe (auction site) and Auckland Camera Centre for used gear and see if a suitable body/kit comes up however once I start thinking about new gear my patience is about on par with my two year old. I will however keep looking for lenses regardless.

Im not going to adapt my nikon lenses at this stage since I care so much about size I think its not worth it. Better to save and get a dedicated one.

I have held both EM10 and GX85 bodies and liked them both for different reasons. I think in the end I will just see which one I can get for a better deal.

I’ll probably pick up a kit zoom initially as an all round everyday lense, get a 20mm f1.8 soon after and then later aim for a 45mm f1.8.

Thanks for all the advice and if there is more keep it coming.

southy

Mu-43 Regular
You just missed out on the recent Panasonic promo. Just a few weeks back I picked up a GX85 with 12-32 for $784 au and they had a redemption offer for the 25mm f1.7. The 25mm turned up today so nice fast service by Panasonic.

BTW this is my first foray into the M43 world (if you don't count my LX100). I come from Sony FF with an A7. The A7 is staying for now but have decided to give M43 a go for 2018. Good luck with whatever cam you get there is certainly plenty of options.

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
You just missed out on the recent Panasonic promo. Just a few weeks back I picked up a GX85 with 12-32 for $784 au and they had a redemption offer for the 25mm f1.7. The 25mm turned up today so nice fast service by Panasonic.

This deal is available here until the end of the month but costs NZ$1200. Where did you buy in Australia? I could see if I could ship.

southy

Mu-43 Regular
They won't ship internationally either and using a proxy service is a pain.

Hey you pay for my airfare and I'm happy to deliver personally. Not sure thats a good deal for you but works for me. :laugh1:

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
So in summary?

EM10 mkii

+
More customisable
Metal top and bottom
Better stabilisation

-
No 4k

GX85

+
Great touch screen
Touch Pad focuses better

-
Small EVF

I will keep an eye on trademe (auction site) and Auckland Camera Centre for used gear and see if a suitable body/kit comes up however once I start thinking about new gear my patience is about on par with my two year old. I will however keep looking for lenses regardless.

Im not going to adapt my nikon lenses at this stage since I care so much about size I think its not worth it. Better to save and get a dedicated one.

I have held both EM10 and GX85 bodies and liked them both for different reasons. I think in the end I will just see which one I can get for a better deal.

I’ll probably pick up a kit zoom initially as an all round everyday lense, get a 20mm f1.8 soon after and then later aim for a 45mm f1.8.

Thanks for all the advice and if there is more keep it coming.
Not really sure I'd say the Pan touch screen is better than Oly. It may function better for AF. But Oly screen camera controls are better (IMHO) than Pan.

First there's the Oly Super Control Panel (SCP) that allows you to control just about every setting you might need, you can ignore the menus (which many don't like but have never really bothered me). With the SCP you can tap on a setting and turn a dial to change it. With the Pan you have a one page default or a multi page custom on screen setup and another separate set of configurable on screen function buttons. Neither I find as easy to work with as the SCP. Second you can disable any of the Oly display screen options. With the Pan display, push the display button to cycles through the display screens, all 6 options, you can't disable any. You can on the Oly.

For what it's worth: I have a GX85 with both the 12-60 and 45-175 Panasonic lenses (not the Leica models). Beautiful glass; solid camera. I added an eyecup to make the EVF 1000% better. (Search for the $19 eyecup thread.) I also have a number of M42 and K-mount lenses from earlier systems (some of which are quite good). Also using dirt cheap lenses I buy on eBay or find in thrift shops. Lots of lens choices.

I bought the Panasonic because my son's old Panasonic bridge model (maybe an FZ1000?) is still going strong and I bought that for him in high school; that was 14 years ago.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a Gx85 (as well as 2 Gx8) and the GX85 is my travel camera, and except for BIF and landscapes (which I love the 20mp sensor of the Gx8) this could be my only camera. Great video, great stabilization, and lots and lots of features. The 2 most underrated are the 8 second live view (it will work in S & A if you assign it to a button) and the four stack multiple exposure (great for night work when you turn gain off). I actually bought mine as a "B" roll video camera because its 4K is much better than the Oly's and have found it is a great stills camera also.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
Love this place, start a thread about how to make a great photo and get five replies, then make a thread about concerns of a new camera house and get three pages in three days :) we all love gear huh?!

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
Why not e Bay? Even after the shipping costs to New Zealand it would would still be cheaper than purchasing local.

The thing that makes me nervous is the guarantee. I can purchase from NZ and, even from a grey market parallel importer, I get protection from the Consumer Guarantees Act which is pretty much the same as a warrantee these days for free. If I purchase from Ebay I don't get that and I have to decide how much of a saving this is worth.

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
The thing that makes me nervous is the guarantee. I can purchase from NZ and, even from a grey market parallel importer, I get protection from the Consumer Guarantees Act which is pretty much the same as a warrantee these days for free. If I purchase from Ebay I don't get that and I have to decide how much of a saving this is worth.
I can understand that. My experience is that eBay sides with the buyer 99% of the time. In my opinion the one selling internationally is taking the bigger risk.

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
I can understand that. My experience is that eBay sides with the buyer 99% of the time. In my opinion the one selling internationally is taking the bigger risk.

The savings seems to be only on GX85s as the OMD EM10 Mkii are a similar price already in NZ. I also have to work out tax and it'll take a couple of weeks to get here and clear customs. maybe this is a reason to go with the OMD?

MKan

Mu-43 Rookie
This could be a good option for you. The GX7 is well regarded (never used one myself) and if you got it for the reserve price there would be plenty of your budget left over for a fast prime or 2...

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX7

Yes I have that in my watch list. What would you say are the downsides to buying a gx7 over the others

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom