Experience with PL 14-50 Elmar vs Elmarit?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jumbotron, Feb 28, 2012.

1. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just wondering if anyone has both these lenses or compared them? The Elmar seems a lot cheaper in hand is the Elmarit that much better optically or build wise other than speed? I have the 14-150 PL Elmar and guess this is more like the 14-50 Elmar in terms of build?
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Optically, the 14-50 D Vario Elmarit is a superb lens with no real weak points that I have found (on my copy, anyway). However, I find the handling and design to be below what I would have expected given it's original purchase price. It feels quite plasticky, the zoom ring isn't particularly fluid. It's solid enough I guess, but not in the same league as an equivalently priced Canon L-series zoom. The good news is that it hasn't held value like an L-series lens would so if you are buying used the price of entry is much less than the original list price.

Oh, and on a Micro 4/3 camera, Autofocus speed = very, very bad...

I use mine on an Oly E-510. When I sell that camera I don't think I'll keep the lens for the reason described above.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks for the info - yeah, I haven't been thrilled with the speed of the PL14-150 on my PENs and GF cameras and don't find myself using that lens much anymore and debating about selling it with my L10 and picking up an L1. Yes, it's kind of going backwards, but I like the form of the L1 - the Elmar or Elmarit should be quick enough on the L1 I hope.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The L10 is a downgrade from the L1, so you are not going backwards at all. Just like getting an E-3 over an E-30 is still a step up no matter how much older it is.

As far as the Elmarit vs. Elmar, do you really need another reason to choose the Elmarit besides speed? f/2.8-3.5 is very different from f/3.5-5.6, any way you look at it.
  5. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I inherited the L10 with the 14-150 and just assumed that the L10 was better - don't ask me why ;-)

I've got a line on both the Elmarit and the Elmar - the Elmarit is quite a bit more, but I guess I'm not sure what to expect since everything I shoot with on the PENs is fairly fast like the 45/1.8 and 20/1.7. The Elmarit seems much more solid than the Elmar and you're right Ned - fast is good.

6. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Elmar v Elmarit - f3.5 v f2.8, Elmar cheaper than Elmarit.
    Both very good lenses, both have image stabilisation.
    When used on OLY m43 bodies the Elmarit is manual focus only + aperture ring will not work.
    on Pany m43 bodies Elmarit is manual focus only or very very slow af but aperture ring will work
    AF speed of Elmar on Pany m43 bodies is good (certainly fast enough on my GF1 - no problems)
    The Elmar can be had quite cheaply as for some reason (certainly not optically) it is considered vastly inferior to the Elmarit.
    In most instances I doubt you would be able to tell the difference and for m43 the Elmar is by and far the more usable.
    Comparing it(them) to the Oly 14-54 mk1 - again you would be hard pressed to distinguish, all three are very fine lenses.
    The Oly 14-54 mk2 is no better optically than the mk1 but will CDAF so will AF on any m43 body.

For my two pen'eth the Elmar is the Cinderella of the bunch as it can be had very cheap, has IS and AF's on m43 bodies ( I bought an L10 a while back, sold the body but kept the lens, made the lens VERY cheap)
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It is better where it matters - namely image quality. If you shoot RAW, the L10 offers better image quality than any other 4/3 body save possibly the E-5. The L1 looks cute, but it's a brick and the sensor is nothing special.