1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Experience with Peak Design Capture?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by thearne3, Sep 1, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I just got the Capture product for use with my Olympus E-P3. I had expected to be able to mount the camera both parallel and perpendicular to the mount. However, when mounted parallel to the mount, the clamping bolt heads are flush with the bottom of the camera. This will be true of any camera with a flat bottom, since the bolt heads are in line with the top of the plate.

This lack of clearance means that:

1) If the clamps are not exactly equal in tightness, the plate will not be parallel and one bolt head will hit the bottom of the camera, thus restricting the action and marring the finish of the bottom of the camera.
    2) Even when precisely clamped, any dirt/sand/grime will similarly restrict the action and mar the surface of the camera bottom.

I'd like to be able to use the Capture on the shoulder harness of my backpack, ie, camera facing down, body parallel to base, but am concerned about the issue noted.

Am I missing something? The Capture is a good idea and very robust - but making the clamp bolt heads flush with the plate seems to be a design flaw...

I have seen other comments that the mounting plate conflicts with some lenses, but maybe I misread this and the issue is with the clamp bolt heads as well?

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I think I solved my 'issue':

I was testing the Capture with nothing to clamp onto. For some reason this causes the bolt heads to be a little higher. When clamped onto a belt/strap there is some clearance with the body.

Being anal, I'm going to put some gaffer tape on the heads, just to minimize potential scratches...