Experience with Olympus Repair Center

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fish, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Hello all,

I just sent my m.zuiko 9-18mm lens in to be repaired because it's zoom ring was sticking. The tracking says that it was delivered 8 days ago but they still haven't even entered it in the computer. A supervisor (Vince) told me they had unexpectedly closed the repair facility and my lens would have been forwarded to the New York facility - adding on a week to the shipping time.

In their shipping instructions they advertised that repairs would be completed within 7-10 days of receiving it. This would have given me time to spare to get the lens back before our trip to Sea World next month, but now it is looking like it won;t make it in time.

The supervisor said that he can't do anything to speed up the repair and would not compensate me for the delay, saying, "these things just happen".

Am I wrong to expect a rush, or a reduced repair cost? Is there another route I should be going through?

Thanks for your help,

Chad

2. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    hi chad

previously, they had 2 centers in US and at least 1 in canada. Now, they have closed the one in canada and Cypress(CA). So, the Hauppauge, NY is the only one. --- only ship to NY center from now on :(

last year/before, i sent to the cypress center, would get an "acknowledge" in 2 days and a repaired-ups in 5 days. Only once did it go to second week, due to parts not being available.

however,
    I sent in my camera 2 weeks ago for warranty repair. It has not yet been entered into system. I spoke to a cust repr and she said that now, it takes about 1 week to be entered into system, about 1 week for estimates and a margin of 1 week for workloads, a final 1 week for coast2coast ups.

yes, things have gone a lot slower in that department. I used to know the lady in front desk at Cypress and they were phenomenally fast. but now, the economy and close down of centers may be catching up with them and hurting us.

unfortunately, the warranty (or not) repairs dont come with a convenience clause.

S

edit : call again in a day/2 and explain to them that it is very inconvenient and if they can issue a temporary replacement. sometimes, if the delay is missing part/stock, they will oblige. But, that is very rare.

3. Fish

Fish Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2010
    Temporary replacement eh? That might be worth trying. Thanks!

Chad