Experience Buying Used m4/3 Gear

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by hunyuan7, Oct 10, 2011.

1. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I am about to buy a bunch of m4/3 gear. The overall price is getting high. So, I am thinking about buying used gear and would like to hear your experience with used m4/3 gear.

This forum has provided a wonderful source of information for helping in my decision-making. Thank you.
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    the only thing used that ive bought was the VF-1... but its great :)
    lol, not sure how helpful that is :) but it WAS half price!!!

tho id imagine you could get some never been used "used" gear tho, if its common enuf
    like the 17mm pancake, or the kit zooms.
    id imagine those would be "safer" used purchases.. since so many just sell them right off the bat
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I've had nothing but good results buying used gear. It seems like most m43 users take good care of their stuff--at least the stuff I've bought. And of course most of it just isn't that old.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have bought a number of items used and I have rarely had any issues. I typically buy on forums that I know and from people I am at least familiar with (here, getdpi, fredmiranda and on occasion fourthirdsphoto).
  5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello - I have bought a number of lenses second-hand, including from people here, and never had bad surprises. Plastic barrels do not take so much wear as some metal ones, users around here do take good care of their stuff, and anyway a lens can take quite some damage before it shows on the pictures.
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    theres a panny 14/2.5 on fredmiranda for $215 shipped to conUS, btw
    just jumped over to see if there was any magical deals
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Nothing short of stellar experiences here.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    What? It's possible to buy brand new camera equipment? News to me...

Advanced camera equipment is a prime example of expensive gear that is purchased with the greatest intentions in the world but rarely accompanied by the desire to actually go out and use it. I've bought a few cameras for less than half the retail price with less than a thousand clicks. Amongst people who actually use their cameras, the external upgrader is also a good source of used gear since as soon as the next new model is announced the brief love affair with the existing gear is over.

I would bet that most cameras become "obsolete" long before they wear out.
  9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    The MFT folks do seem to take good care.. I know I do.

I also sell stuff for great prices as well. B&H and Adorama usually sell good "9+" stuff.
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The bodies depreciate so quickly that it REALLY makes sense to buy last year's awesome must-have camera instead of this year's best. The E-P3 body that is around $750 today will be $250 in 2 years.

I have had great experiences buying and selling on this forum. These types of forums are great places to buy and sell. Self-policing and people knowing each other is cool. Also, the kind of people that hang out at places like this are the ones most "into" it and are more likely to take care of their stuff.
  11. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    keep your eyes open for "factory reconditioned" stuff too, that usually comes with a decent warranty-- that is how I started in mu43, with an E-PL1 kit from olympusmarket on eBay in Germany (but there are other places on other continents that sell recon. stuff as well)
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Good point, I got my GH1 and 14-140mm through an authorised Panasonic reseller on eBay. Used price but still with full local warranty.
  13. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I've bought two lenses and sold one via this forum, and both were good experiences.
  14. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    I bought a VF-2 through this forum (in great condition)... and after lots of searching, I found a great local deal for a GF1 w/ Panny 20mm that was barely used and everything was still under warranty.

Like others have said, M43 camera equipment seems to depreciate fast (not so much the Panny 20mm by the way) so I think it's worth the slight risk as long as you feel you are being as reasonably cautious as possible.
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    it's the bodies that seem to drop, the lenses seem pretty much within reasonable range of used lenses from canikon.

with that, I've had good luck buying second hand, though not much because I'm a bit of an early adopter. Haven't had as much luck selling as it seems not many want the pl45 =)

I will add that I've bought and sold numerous canon gear without issue, mostly fm and potn
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I picked up a 17mm second hand here on this site. It was in excelent condition and still works great.

Some lenses I find aren't low enough used to bother with. For example, I was looking for a decent price on the 40-150 m.zuiko lens. Most of the prices that I was seeing were only 10-15 percent less than the going rate on Amazon. This is also seems to be the case with the panasonic 20mm.
  17. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I have bought and sold here and at FredMiranda and not been disappointed yet.
  18. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, I trust the used equipment from here and fredmiranda. eBay, not so much nowadays.

I originally shyed away from non-eBay transactions due to a bad first experience. On fredmiranda, I asked the seller what the condition was of the VF-2 (back when it was new!). He got offended and didn't sell it to me. His response was something along the lines of "this ain't eBay. take your question asking a$$ elsewhere (probably in a more proper / condescending manner).
  19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have bought most of my current gear used - G3, 45/2.8, 14-50 + adapter on here, and the 8FE through a local store.

Everything has been great.
  20. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    All my micro four thirds stuff was bought used. I got a G1+20mm off craigslist a year back and now have various lenses that I have bought from here and ebay and most of them are in great shape.