1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Expanding E-PL1 Dynamic Range with HDR Simulation

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by isabel95, Jan 23, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I used the $16 Mediachance ReDynaMix plug-in to deal with the strong sunshine reflections in these images.
    You can download a trial version here: ReDynamix, Photoshop plug-in, HDR from single file
    The first image had noise reduction first with Topaz DeNoise 5. The second image didn't need noise reduction.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/5381888521/" title="P1232043 ReDynaMix HDR Simulation by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr">
    5381888521_ecd2f90c39_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    "1008" height="756" alt="P1232043 ReDynaMix HDR Simulation" /></a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/5381888321/" title="P1232042 ReDynaMix HDR Simulation by Isabel Cutler, on Flickr">
    5381888321_f5f9e991ce_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    "1008" height="756" alt="P1232042 ReDynaMix HDR Simulation" /></a>
    Both images I used were jpg images, although I shot in RAW as well. In many cases I prefer using the jpgs from the camera, which I have set for iEnhance color.

Isabel

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Nicely done images, there.

I too have been experimenting with HDR processing, not necessarily for it's "steroidal" look, but to give the appearance of more optimized dynamic range.

I see it as a very useful tool. Were you happy with the results, relative to the non-HDR-processed images?

Brian

3. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Unabashed plug … if anyone is close to Bridgewater NS I am doing a talk on HDR at the MARC

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Isabel ... Windows only....
    Hrmmmmp!

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The second pic is a perfect "house sale" brochure picture, well done.

• Like Like x 1
  6. isabel95

Oops!, Brian...

Thank you for the kind comment.
    Isabel

7. isabel95

Yes...I get much better dynamic range when I use...

mediachance ReDynaMix.

I have to be very careful with it so that pictures DON'T look illustrative, as many hdr images do.

Sometimes I will go for an extreme look, but most of the time my use for this plug-in is to increase dynamic range when I have very bright highlights for which I had to underexpose, resulting in shadow areas lacking details.

Isabel

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.