Existential doubt between Sigma 60 and Zuiko 75

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    I need a native telephoto for portraits with the GX7. I have some manual lens like the great Rokkor 58mm f1.2 but the focus peaking in the GX7 dont work very good like the NEX's, is one of the few things that criticize to the GX7.

And I have the follows problems; The Sigma is great and with an incredible price, but I like shoot with low light and in the night and being f2.8 may be cant give it due. The Zuiko its a masterpiec but costs more than U$700 and recentrly I bought the GX7 and the Panaleica 25mm investing much money.

2. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    If you're serious about portraits, get the 75. Invest in the 75. The lens is that good, and it should hold it's value for quite some time (should you decide to sell it later on).

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I would suggest that if you were able buy a 2nd hand Sigma, it will hold it's value better, and AT MOST, you'll lose $25 or so if you subsequently decided to sell it.

4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The 60/2.8 is a lot of bang for the buck! Well made too.

14263363657_bd0c1602d1_b.

GX7, SIGMA 60mm F2.8 DN, 1/60, f/2.8, ISO 1600 handheld. Main light - fluorescent work lamp out of frame to the right and above subject's head.

• Like Like x 5
  5. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    The S60 is so cheap, relatively speaking, that you could buy it and test, if it works for you keep it, if not sell it off for only a little loss and buy the 75, even if it does work, save up and buy the O75 as well.

6. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    I've never used a NEX, but what setting do you use for the focus peaking? I have mine on low/blue and it works well.

Buy the Sigma. The improved GX7 sensor will compensate for the loss of aperture.

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    There is the Olympus 45 f/1.8 that you may also want to consider. Before the 75 was released, this was considered the portrait lens for the system. And, the working distance for the 75 is unusually long for portraits. I like to think of it as a speciality portrait lens, not unlike the 135 that was often used by fashion/portrait photographers who shot film and liked the compressed look that it provided.

--Ken

8. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Thanks for the advice.

Any difference between the DN ART and the DN?

I use that setting for manual lens, but the peaking inst very precise, low contrast and dont give enough lines for quick focusing instead on the NEX the focus peaking is the same for native or manual lenses.

9. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I would suggest the 45/1.8 as well. Not very expensive but you get 1.8 for low light. 90mm equiv is a good length for portraits. I owned the 75 and personally found it too long/didn't like the working distance (you have to be quite far from your subject to get anything other than a head, head and shoulders type shot).

I replaced my 45 and 75 with the 42.5/1.2, because I love the working distance of an ~85-ish lens.

10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Never tried out the Sigma so I can't comment on that lens but I do have the Oly 60 macro and I thought the 75 might not be what I needed as the 60 macro is a great lens. After getting the 75 I am loving this lens focal length for portraits and a wide variety of still life/nature shots. I can't imagine doing without it. The images I've seen posted taken with the Sigma look superb but the 75 just has something special, a spectacular clarity, that's hard to put into words. Good luck with your decision.

11. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    The last comments complicates my doubts, lol. :)

I love the Zuiko 45mm, I know for referrals for many years and samples demonstrate its quality, the issue is that I like do street photography and a long tele is useful when you do not want to be invasive with subject capture an expression to certain away, so I think the 60mm or 75mm could pay for it.

For the Zuiko 60mm macro is an optical which I love, but look some heavy, what about this.

12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Sorry for any confusion! Listen to this old fool, get what you need AND can afford. If you're going to be stopping your aperture down or shooting in the street during daylight I'd try the Sigma or Olympus 60mm (the Oly is also macro). If you're going to shoot with a wide open aperture or in dimly lit street scenes save your money and get the 75mm. Good luck!
    PS, all the images I've seen from the Oly 45mm are superb!

13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Manu, if you are wondering about the size and weight of the Olympus 60 macro don't worry. When I got mine a few weeks ago I was completely shocked at how small and light it is. I guess there are not many pictures of the lens next to regular objects or other lenses... Steve Huff's review of the 60mm has some photos of it on an OM-D and next to the 14-42 II zoom. It is tall but thin, and very light.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    The sigma just got cheaper. $209 at Adorama today.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Man that's sweet. Just not sure how much I'd use it when I have the 45.

16. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Dont worry, I dont say of bad way, I think I'm some lost in translation.

If I could have all the lenses, but for now I cant for money and because in my country dont sale cameras and lenses M4/3, I have to order them online.

The Zuiko 60mm, is also good for portraits and applications not macro?

17. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    sammy said: "Just not sure how much I'd use it when I have the 45."

Well, I really liked my O45 and did some nice family shots and candid portraits with it. Then I sold my 75 because it was too long, too big, too heavy for me, and bought the Sigma 60 as a sort of "poor man's 75".

What I learned was that 60mm was a better focal length for me, 75 was often too long and 45 not quite enough. The 75 was possibly a tad sharper, but the 60 is sharp enough for almost anyone or anything. On my M5, IBIS lets me shoot in low light at 2.8 with reasonable shutter speeds, I don't really miss the 45's 1.8. And the DOF is quite sufficient for most purposes, with very pleasant bokeh.

So now I'm going to sell my 45 :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If money is a concern, get the 60mm 2.8 DN. It'll do most of what you need during daylight and early evening conditions. Saying that, the 75mm 1.8 can be used in low light conditions due to the fast aperture. If you see yourself shooting in a lot of low light, save up and get the 75mm. If not, the 60mm DN is a worthy alternative every bit as sharp, minus the nice OOF rendering. :wink:

19. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I've only had mine for a few weeks and am still testing it out, but so far I think the O60 is fine for non-macro applications. It's certainly sharp. I sold my 45/1.8 around the same time so the 60 is my only portrait lens at the moment. It does seem to focus a bit slower than the 45mm even with the focus range limiter.

20. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    What lens do you use on the NEX? I only ask because I just bought a Zeiss 135/2.8 and one of my first thoughts was wow, the focus peaking is so sharp. With the Sony/Zeiss connection, maybe the difference is more down to the glass than the camera!