exif stripping on Flickr

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
I like checking the exif data on posted images both as a learning tool for myself and also as a way to make more informed feedback on images posted by other members. As a Flickr user I am aware that the only exif info in my images is my name. So a couple of questions:-

Which image hosting sites retain exif?
Am I missing a setting or such on Flickr?
Does the mu-43 gallery preserve exif?

By the way i use Firefox browser with an add-on called FxIF. Right click an image on a web page and Exif is one of the choices.

RonSmith

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's strange. My Flickr images have all the EXIF data there when I click on "More Properties."

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Right, I know what you mean - so when I post a photo in a thread here from my Flickr account I try to remember to put the pertinent info. in the title of the post.

When one uploads directly here in the galleries, EXIF does show but there is not an endless amount of room in the galleries.

So you're asking if other web hosting venues will allow for the EXIF to translate when linked here?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I don't know that you were vague, Bill, but sometimes it helps to restate things for the reader to get it.

I hope someone who is more of a techie will pipe in here. I do know that Firefox offers some sort of EXIF plugin for both PCs and Macs that apparently allow people to click on photos to see the EXIF information. I have been searching this site to see where it was mentioned but can't find it. Maybe you could try it out, if you use Firefox? I'm too lazy because I prefer to use Safari as my browser, so when the EXIF info doesn't show up in someone's gallery, then I ask if I'm really interested.

As I said, most of the time when uploading to one of the galleries I download from my photo software (Aperture) and then upload, but sometimes I take the shortcut and download from Flickr and the info is gone, I know. One of the reasons I tend to use the threads for photos more often is because, once again, I am lazy and like linking them directly...though I know this is of no help to you.

Do you think that the Firefox EXIF viewer might be helpful?

Is there anyone else out here that might be able to offer some insights?

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks again BB. I am using FxIF in Firefox as my exif viewer. You can add it by clicking on Tools>Add-ons>Get Add-ons and then searching for exif viewer.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
So again, that wasn't much help was it? You're way ahead of me and I now see you'd even posted that at the outset!:redface: So sorry!

And I'm sure you've searched Flickr ad nauseum for this info, too. I wonder if it makes a difference if you download the original vs the large, etc.? Have you played around with that, too?

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
You can elect to show almost all, if not all, of your EXIF information in flickr. This is how it is done. Go to "You > Your Accounts > Privacy & Permissions > Hide Your EXIF Data" and toggle it there. The choice to show or not to show is completely up to you.

On another note if someone save their image in Photoshop or Elements using "Save for Web" the EXIF will be stripped there.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Grant, I think Bill is aware of that..but what he's after is how to download from Flickr and then use that downloaded photo to upload here and not lose the EXIF data. He also wants to know if there might be other web hosting sites that allow one's photos when downloaded to retain the EXIF data.

It's a little confusing, but that I believe is what he is after. For example does SmugMug or Zenfolio or any of the others achieve this, or when one downloads there is the EXIF "stripped" too?

Bill, are you there?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
The Answer!

So again, that wasn't much help was it? You're way ahead of me and I now see you'd even posted that at the outset!:redface: So sorry!

And I'm sure you've searched Flickr ad nauseum for this info, too. I wonder if it makes a difference if you download the original vs the large, etc.? Have you played around with that, too?

OK, so I finally got around to testing and the resounding answer is "YES!" If you want to retain the EXIF data on your downloaded Flickr photos so that when you upload them into the galleries here - use the original size. I believe you must have a "pro account" that costs about $25 a year in order to have the option of having all sizes... You can see an example of a photo of mine from Flickr, downloaded in its "original size" and uploaded into my gallery here: test 2 for EXIF data from Flickr - Mu-43 Gallery

4610380254_01e7b93668_o-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
BB - sorry but FxIF is not seeing the exif in the image in your post or the one in your gallery. I do have a Pro account and have just been to Flickr. What I found is only the original size on Flickr shows exif using FxIF right click.

I always use Option 2 and link with the url. Perhaps I should use the code in Option 1.

Test:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotofox/4580971695/" title="Owen and Nanna by bilzmale, on Flickr">
4580971695_13b5c43113_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"800" height="600" alt="Owen and Nanna" /></a>

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Success - used Option 1 and the exif is now intact. Thanks for staying with me and working through this. Now go and put your feet up and have a nice cuppa (or a G&T if you prefer).

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Near &quot;Playland&quot; outside of NYC, NY, USA
Hmm, well it shows up for me in looking with Safari when I use the Photo Options drop down menu, and Show EXIF. Perhaps you need to not use that Firefox plug in? I've copied this directly from my gallery's EXIF info, which I acquired by the methods I just outlined.

File name: 4610380254_01e7b93668_o-1.jpg File size: 569603 bytes
File date: 2010:05:19 08:45:06 Camera make: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera model: E-PL1 Date/Time: 2010:05:15 18:33:51
Resolution: 1112 x 834 Flash used: No
Focal length: 20.0mm Exposure time: 0.0006 s (1/1600)
Aperture: f/2.2 ISO equiv.: 200
Exposure bias: -3 Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: center weight Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Exposure Mode: Manual ======= IPTC data: =======
City: %G Record vers.: 2
Spec. Instr.: Fnh%1wvyTrO3q3+tUXs2BQ

Latest threads

Top Bottom