1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Exif reader

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by panamike, Jul 15, 2016.

1. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Can any one recommend a Exif reader for firefox that works on this form.

Thanks

2. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    fxif works pretty well.

The real problem is most people have their exif blocked or stripped these days it seems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Thanks,its a shame as it helps judge cameras and lenses at different ISOs

4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    You can try this plugin as well: Exif Viewer.

Based on looking at my pictures, it appears that the forum software strips out the EXIF data from the jpegs which are uploaded to the site.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Yeah, it does suck that that info is now harder to find.

A big part of the problem is that cameras started including GPS data in the EXIF which created privacy issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, flickr is the #1 culprit here. They make embedding easy, but embedded files show no exif. Fortunately you can click through and get all the data, but it's not ideal.

If you directly upload, it shouldn't. If you embed, then places like flickr block it for embeds.

7. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    That's what I thought, but looking at the images I uploaded, it does not seem to be the case. They just show the comment:
    CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100
    which makes me think that the forum software is processing images even when they are directly uploaded.

[Edit]
    Also, I resize my jpegs down to 1600x1200 before uploading.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Not an extension for FF but, Exiftool is an extremely powerful exif utility that pulls up just about everything you can imagine. It can sometimes scrape exif data when other utilities cannot and I have used it to view exif info for many flickr photos that show absolutely no info at the site. I haven't used the gui for it but there is one available called ExifToolGUI

However, I have also noticed that images get exif stripped when uploaded to this forum, so no help for that.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's unfortunate. You do appear to be right, though.

10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    This is a photographers' forum. Sure is a shame to strip exif. This site and flickr both strip and many people don't include it. And don't tell me to clic thru. I'm out at the end of a rusty wire and life is short. Besides, I really dislike flickr.

11. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Agreed. I wonder if the site's image processor could be set to preserve other exif data while stripping out GPS data to address privacy concerns. It would be even cooler the site could display the EXIF on hover.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I hadn't realised until now that this forum stripped exif info from uploaded photos (as distinct from embedded photos where it seems to depend on the site where the photo is hosted - when I embed photos from PBase the exif is retained but when I upload directly to this forum it isn't). I would be happy for people to be able to see the exif on my photos if they are interested, even including GPS data (I suppose that reflects the nature of photos I upload here which are not very personal). It does seem a pity that a photo-oriented forum does this.

@Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet , is the stripping of exif info built into the forum software or is it something that could potentially be changed?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1