1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EXIF/Metadata, How to read in Browser?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Tom Swaman, May 22, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I apologize if this is a stupid question or that I have paled this in an incorrect location. As I look at images in this forum, I usually would like to know the exposure used to generate the image without pulling the image out of the forum and doing anything else. I am using 64 bit Window 7 and usually use IE 8 or 9 or Google Chrome. Is there some easy way to read/see the Exposure data/EXIF data/Metadata, etc. as I browse through this forum.

Thanks to all for your help.

Appreciatively,
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I believe there are more solutions to this. I'm using a plugin for Chrome called "EXIF Viewer". Works pretty well for me. The bad thing is, that many people are posting pictures here from Flickr (incl. me) and those pictures are stripped down from EXIF information. In order to see that info, you have to browse that picture on Flickr site.

3. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Use opera browser. Just right click the image and choose the picture info.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I use Opera browser. It has a right-click 'image properties' button that shows EXIF data.
    (IE remains on this computer solely for sites which won't work with Opera or Firefox, my two preferred browsers.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

John, Krang and Ulfric,

Many thanks to each of you.

Are you telling me that I cannot get this information using Internet Explorer> This is my default browser. Thanks again.

Best regards,
    Tom

6. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    If you can get the URL of the image you want to see exif/metadata, then you can use <a href="http://regex.info/exif.cgi">Jeffery's Exif viewer</a>. It allows you to paste in the URL into a form and then the site retrieves the image and parses all of the exif/metadata from it and displays it in a tabular format. Unfortunately, IE makes it somewhat difficult to get the URL of an image in a page, but it's pretty easy with both Firefox and Chrome. With those two, you just right click on the image in the context menu it is 'Copy Image Location' in Firefox and 'Copy image URL' in Chrome.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Tom, Internet Explorer should not be your default browser ... in an ideal world. :|
    It has a long history of being the most vulnerable to malicious ... stuff.

8. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Travisenis,

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a great start.

Brst regards,
    Tom

9. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Ulfric,

What browsers do you recommend for a 64 bit Windows 7 computer?

Thanks again,
    Tom