1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Exif for Legacy Lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by PepsimanAB, Apr 7, 2011.

1. PepsimanAB

PepsimanAB New to Mu-43

Apr 5, 2011
    I understand that legacy lenses don't have the electronic connectors to be able to report focal-length/aperture/etc to the camera, so I don't expect it to happen automatically. I also understand that this info can be added later through exif editing software programs.

What I'm interested in is to see if there is a way to manually do this through the camera menu system so that the camera adds this info to the pictures as they are taken?

I've looked in the manual with no luck, but I'm not sure if I'm looking for the right things. I currently have the G2, but will probably be in the market for a GH2 (or G3?) this summer, so I'd be interested if it's possible with the other cameras as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    you could always make notes while shooting then add them via LR

3. PepsimanAB

PepsimanAB New to Mu-43

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks for the response.

I've been doing the note thing, but a pen/paper are just 2 more things to carry around with me. I've even tried making a 5 second movie of myself every time I switch lenses, saying something like "switching to 50mm at f/1.8 now", but I was hoping that there might be a way to do this through the camera without any later editing.

Even if I don't save this info, it's not like it's a life or death situation. It's just sometimes interesting to see what situations make a picture turn out good or bad.

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I can add lens info to the comments field in LR but I cannot find out how to edit the lens data itself. EXIF editors I have found have generally not been helpful.

5. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    well a quick answer from the camera is NO, but then once you deal with you pictures in Lightroom or any derawtizer software you can manually input the Focal length and the F stop aside of the already known information ISO and Shutter speed. I usually do not bother with EXIF with legacy lenses i just remember what lens i used and put the name of that lens in the description in the post it saves me the trouble with the exif.

6. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Jhead is a tool you can use to freely manipulate EXIF.

7. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    When I shoot manual lenses I follow the same process I do when shooting film - stick with a single lens for that session. Makes for less things to carry around, and makes cataloging the images easier also.

8. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Why a video? Wouldn't taking a photo of the lens (with the f stop) your going to change to make more sense? Plus the file name readily tells you where in the shoot you changed. Of course if the f stop ring of your 28mm looks like the f stop ring of your 50mm, well......

9. PepsimanAB

PepsimanAB New to Mu-43

Apr 5, 2011
    Once I get better at knowing which lens does what, I'll probably follow photoSmart42's advice and stick to a particular lens. For now, I'm fairly new to the world of interchangeable lenses and I like to see how different lenses/settings interpret the same scene.

ddegomez, I forgot to mention that sometimes I also take a photo. It doesn't always work since I sometimes play around with the f-stop once the lens is attached, but I find myself doing that less and less as I get more experience.

Thank you to everyone that's responded. Over the next few years, I'm sure they'll fill in the gaps in the native lens lineup, and then I won't need to worry about this anymore. Seeing how helpful this community is makes me glad that I chose micro 4/3.