exclusive: nikon to launch a mirrorless system (april)

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by f6cvalkyrie, Jan 18, 2011.

1. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    though not strictely 4/3 or micro4/3, many of us (including myself) could be interested by this evolution :

Mirrorless Rumors | Home

C U,
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Sounds very interesting, but it's not for me. I'll stick with m43 and the X100, if it lives up to expectation. I can't justify the expense after what I spent in 2010!

All the best,

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Camera tech is moving very fast. Exciting time!
  4. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    It's interesting that, according to the rumor, they with enter will a "pro" camera (and pro lenses one would assume). That certainly has appeal and may also move Panasonic and Olympus to offer some pro-level stuff. As always, interesting times.
  5. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    WOW! And it is going to be an S-Mount Camera!

I am so in on this.
  6. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I we should not be surprised with this move to mirrorless cameras.

I have just read some interesting statistics. With interchangeable lenses while the ยต43 have a market share of somewhere between 7% and 8% in the North American market it is just shy of 40% in the Japanese market. The while that is very impressive last year they had something like 12% of the market so the growth is explosive. I think the feeling is that in this market the Japanese are trend setters.

The other interesting thing is that the GF1 and the E-PL1 have both broken into the to 10 mirrorless camera sales. I really don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that there is a viable market for this type of camera. I think the people at Nikon and Canon are no fools and if there is a buck to be made they will go for it, if not this april then sometimes soon.
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA

One of the biggest problems I see is the lack of good marketing by panny and oly. If canikon enters the market, the name alone will sell such cameras in droves.
  8. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    No thanks ! will stick with Panasonic.
  9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The way I see it, mirrorless (specifically, large-sensor) systems will make SLRs obsolete. Eventually, the sensor, processor, and screens will get to such high quality and ability that the only reason the EVF will look different than the OVF will be because it's supposed to (e.g., made brighter to aid in focusing), not because it has to. Some day, there won't be new SLRs, just new mirrorless cameras with full function (AF, etc.) adapters for the legacy SLR lenses. The question for manufacturers is how long do they wait before investing in the new technology. Right now, there are still differences that make mirrorless cameras not necessarily an upgrade, but rather a side-grade. Sales of SLRs will stay strong until that gap closes. These manufacturers can delay investment due to the strength of their existing lines, letting other companies figure out the do's and don't's for them, without the risk of losing too much ground. However, they will hit the critical point at some point. Nikon seems to have taken the plunge sooner than Canon, but they will follow suit eventually.

What :43: has going for it is another factor that nobody has copied: the smaller sensor. With that smaller sensor, the whole system - lenses and bodies - can be much smaller. With larger sensors, competitors may get better IQ, low light performance, etc., but the size tradeoff (see Sony lenses, for example) means that there isn't a clear winner. They have two different primary markets and each suffers compromises in crossing over to the other. Until someone else comes out with a - for lack of a better term - compact mirrorless system, :43: will continue to remain strong.
  10. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I wonder what features will distinguish the Nikon as "pro"?
  11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    The name, obviously, haha.
  12. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    price... :rofl:

Seems a strange strategy to me, I would have thought the market for cameras like the current u4/3 offerings was a lot larger than for a pro only range... Seems to me to make more sense to have a range of lower-end cameras and a pro also (hopefully u4/3 has this soon)..
  13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    $ and lots of it.
  14. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Here's my Nikon S - are they going to put a Sony sensor in it

15. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Now that I have time to think about this are we talking April the first?:doh:
  16. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Bill- don't be silly! The Nikon M and Nikon S are 24x34 format.

They are going to put a full frame 24x36 sensor in the Sp.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcamerapictures/1439442286/" title="Nikon SP by anachronist_user, on Flickr">https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1150/1439442286_9890436c26_z.jpg?zz=1" width="640" height="430" alt="Nikon SP" /></a>

I'll volunter mine for the prototype...
  17. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    that's nice Brian - mine has got a serve attack of the Zeiss bumps

why can't the "chinese" put a digital sensor and all the "gubbins" in a 35mm film body?
  18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I guess Nikon can steal the Sony sensor from the D7000 into a compact, mirrorless body along with the stuff that makes Nikon "pro" - lots of buttons and switches to avoid menu diving, a hotshoe that supports Nikon's CLS strobes, etc...

But just like Sony, the challenge with this approach is a lens lineup that takes advantage of the small size. I can't, for example, imagine taking the wonderful 12-24 F2.8 and 24-70 F2.8 and attaching them to a small, mirrorless body. The lenses are the bulk of the package, so any savings in body size is minimal.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll do something crazy, like an FX sensor in a mirrorless body and a trio of primes - 24, 50, 70 - all fast (F2.0 and faster), all small, all awesome. That might be something I could get excited about!
  19. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  20. navyasw02

navyasw02 New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2010
    I disagree, it will make the SLR obsolete for amateurs, but not for the pro and semi pro market. I'm doubtful that a camera this size will have the capability to keep up with the demands of the pro user.

It would be interesting to see what lenses this will accept. If it just means that it'll take big dslr lenses instead of some special compact ones, then this is about as useless as an inflatable dartboard.