Exclusive exhibition at a local concert venue

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by entropicremnants, Aug 24, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    There's a local small concert and event hall in my town called "The Kennett Flash". This is their website: Kennett Flash - Live Music Entertainment in Historic Kennett Square, PA They contacted me to provide photos for the hall and balcony and we just closed the deal. So I will be providing four 24x18 inch shots, and three 36x24 inch shots all framed. All but one are urbex. I'm very excited as it will be the first time I have work hanging in my hometown in two different public spaces. I'll be the only artist hanging there.

As part of the deal, I get to attend any shows "All Access" and do some photography. I told the owner I was not particularly interested in doing concert photography and he told me, "I have lots of head shots of the talent. What I want is the ambience... something like a guitar laid down next to some picks and a beer bottle or something. You know?" -- I said, "You mean something more photo-journalistic?" and he said "Exactly!". Perfect for the Fuji and I'm going to give it a workout there, lol.

The venue opens for the season on Sept. 6 with the Melton Brothers and John Lilley (of "The Hooters" fame). I'll have some shots from the place after that. Biggest downside is the lighting during most of the time people will be there will be LOW. But there will be times with the lights up as well. The venue leases out as a meeting place during the day and they'll be seen easily then.

There is no significant money involved and I still own the artwork -- but as another artist said to me, "Early in your career the point isn't to sell -- it's to be SEEN. Selling comes later."

As old as I am, it is early in my "career" as an artist, lol. It will be nice to be seen some more.

In the shots below, the first two shots are from a Fujifilm X100, and the remainder are from either a Panasonic G5, or an Olympus E-M5.

Here's what I'm hanging and many have been recropped and/or edited from these versions but mainly the crop, first the 24x18 shots:

9518405939_e6f3a714ae.
    Eternal Timeout by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9521192542_7891a471c5.
    Move Down Towards the Light by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8694460436_d1e62afd7e.
    The Doctor Will See You Now by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8689394569_ca6baff9de.
    Come and Play with Us! Forever, and ever, and ever... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

These are the 36x24" shots

8690515964_6e5176df3b.
    All Must Die Alone... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8503232979_0e1466c28c.
    Throwing Klotz: Outside, the World Moved On by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8026674540_bdd1219f3a.
    Remote Weather Station by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Congrats! Fantastic shots too. :biggrin:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

3. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Hi, Margaret! Long time no talk to. Thanks for the kind comment!

I've had no major u4/3 outings for awhile and carry the X100 as my "with me always" now so I've not been on here much. I'm not so interested in gear talk these days and this forum seems more about that at the moment.

Still, hi to everyone and yes I do still shoot u4/3 for any major work, lol. Rocking the GH2 and GH1 as a backup these days because they have REAL CONTROLS, lol. I got real comfortable with the G5 sensor (GH2 sensor) and so the move was a natural for an "old timer" who likes a camera with lots of levers and dials, lol.

I'm more on Serious Compacts and the Fuji X forum that are the sister forums of this one, but I'm still around.

4. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Well, I've hung my little exhibition at the concert space. It needs some more lights here and there but that's coming. I have a couple more yet to hang.

I'm jazzed about it. The crowd that shows up here is widely varying and it's a great chance to introduce my work to people if not the ideal lighting, lol.

The bunny photo "Eternal Timeout" the owner had me hang directly opposite the stage because he believes the musical artists will notice it and comment on it. Cool!

9626933364_72b9c63eae_b.
    The Kennett Flash: New Exhibition by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9623698825_3bb5fb6e8e_b.

9623698721_380e918cb1_b.

9623698585_b7d991bf73_b.

Attached Files:

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Congratulations! :2thumbs:

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Looking good, thanks for posting some pictures of the exhibition space,
    tell us how it goes in September.

7. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    x100 :2thumbs:

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I love the photos.

I feel the framing and frames dont really do the photos justice.

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes, they aren't the best and I don't matte the larger photos. What happens is when you see these in person you don't notice the frames, lol. That's what many people tell me. These are in a public space where there may be some drinking and an expectation of possible disaster and it doesn't pay to do $300 worth of custom framing on them.

I guess what I'm saying is you're right but they are "suitable to task", lol.

Thanks!

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Went back to the asylum today to get a shot the director of the place really wanted. The one he saw I did for a video and it just wasn't suitable for large printing. This one is a little different but it will work.

9638953735_23cdea9399_b.
    Kroeger - Revisited by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Attached Files:

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Wow is it that sort of price for custom framing in the US - I guess it wouldnt surprise me.

Here in Thailand decent custom framing with a matte is about US$50. In fact it is roughly the same price as buying a frame at a department store.

12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Wow,that's a great price! Wish it was worthwhile to ship them to you, lol.