Exciting fact - the M43 & Olympus 2nd hand market will outlive me...

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I bought an Olympus OM 100mm f2.8 lens from an eBay seller a while back that was still in its original, unopened box. It was probably early 80s vintage and had sat on a shelf somewhere for thirty odd years! It smelt lovely !

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Works beautifully too - took this with it on an A7rii:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bought an Olympus OM 100mm f2.8 lens from an eBay seller a while back that was still in its original, unopened box. It was probably early 80s vintage and had sat on a shelf somewhere for thirty odd years! It smelt lovely !

Works beautifully too - took this with it on an A7rii:
Well sure it looks good on a full frame camera...

:eek-31: :hiding: :rofl:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's very honourable of you Cederic, but OTOH, caveat venditor.
I wasn't going to comment on bushman's GH2 post, but since Cederic had the guts to do so I feel the need to have his back a bit. I understand caveat venditor, and certainly the law supports it, but I'd rather aspire to the Golden Rule. Not saying I'm some awesome person who meets the standard, but I try to lean in that direction

I've always found the celebratory posts about pricing mistakes, or things like the GH2, off-putting. Most folks here seem to be ready to help each other more than I find to be true in society in general. But when it comes to saving a dollar, euro, pound, etc., that seems to go out the window.

If you've heard of Godwin's law, I'm going to add my own Chicxulub Law based on the asteroid that struck the Earth making the dinosaurs extinct.

If an asteroid strikes the Earth like that of Chicxulub before Siegfired dies, his statement is false.

If you've heard of Godwin's law, I'm going to add my own Chicxulub Law based on the asteroid that struck the Earth making the dinosaurs extinct.

If an asteroid strikes the Earth like that of Chicxulub before Siegfired dies, his statement is false.
I have seen so many post apocalyptic survival films that at this point I'm sure someone's going to stash huge boxes of camera gear in their bunker and cash in once dust settles.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
But no one will be left alive. Survival will not be possible. And no one around to prove Siegfried wrong....
So he might be considered, right, after all....

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was reading the useless replies to my original post thinking, don't they realize they not alone in the bathroom... :)

Then my mind quickly drifted to the really intellectually interesting post by Phocal and the good discussion that followed... all while the bathroom crowd is doing their thing...

I think it's easy to summarize that all thinking M43 photographers are evaluating the Olympus situation like adults, they clearly know the strengths of the Olympus system and they will also know when to move on - simply because they out doing photography, not hiding away in a bathroom...

Others will tap into the huge and exciting secondhand market with so much to discover that no matter what happens to the bathroom community, the secondhand market will outlive them all...

Always fascinated by mob behavior

Siegfried

See the intellectually interesting post by Phocal...

So I just got an EM1X (still in the return window for B&H) and after a lot of thought/research I have decided to keep it. I bought my original EM1 7 years ago and honestly was perfectly happy with it until I busted the LCD on one of them (what sucked is it was the 5 year old camera). From an image quality perspective I was completely happy with my EM1 but they are getting long in the tooth and it was time to upgrade vs getting it repaired or picking up another used one. I thought long and hard about what to get and I looked at just getting a pair of EM1mk2's on the used market, but even those are starting to get long in the tooth to pick up used. The EM1X is the camera I have wanted from Olympus since switching from Canon 7 years ago and it has just enough extras to make it worth getting over the mk2. The mk3 wasn't really in consideration because after getting a grip and 2nd battery there was really no difference in price from the X. Was actually getting ready to get an X when COVID happened and I decided to hold on to my money for a bit. But after breaking one of the EM1's I decided it was time to pull the trigger and get the X.

So the news yesterday was pretty depressing. Olympus has been the most innovative camera company, so it really is sad to see them go.

Why have I decided to keep the X and not return it? The feature set of the X is just amazing and nothing else out there can really compare. Here are the things from the X that make we want to keep it (no particular order):

• Mirrorless - Now that I have used a camera with an electronic viewfinder I am addicted. While there are advantages to an optical viewfinder when it comes to fast moving things, I much prefer all the information you can display while shooting with the electronic viewfinder. I also like using the blinkies and knowing exactly where my exposure is with respects to blowing the highlights. Moving back to an optical viewfinder just seems like stepping backwards in technology.
  • Built in GPS and field sensors - Not many cameras out there have built in GPS or field sensors and I can see some advantages to having this ability built into the camera.
  • Pro Capture - I am not positive but I believe only Olympus and Panasonic have this ability. But isn't Olympus the only one with full RAW pro capture?
  • 60 FPS - Situational but it is the one reason I really wanted to upgrade to the mk2 when it came out.
  • 18 FPS - Yes it is with the electronic shutter but damn impressive and only when shooting particularly fast things do you need to worry about rolling shutter. For what I shoot I don't foresee any real problems with the electronic shutter.
  • Buffer depth - I love the huge buffer of the EM1 line of cameras. I have gotten to where that is something I really value on my cameras and one that would be hard to live without.
  • Built in ND filter - Now that I live in Alaska I have been doing more landscape stuff and this will come in handy. I know it is not as good as using ND filters but it should fill my need when in the backcountry without needing to bring filters, plus I can use it with any lens and will not need different sizes depending on lens. Which means I can use it with the 150/2, which would require very large and expensive ND filters.
  • Weather sealing - They have taken their amazing weather sealing and made it even better. Everyone knows that I am big on weather sealing and that it is at the top of my list of requirements.
  • Joystick - Really missed this since leaving Canon and after a few uses I am so happy to have that back.
  • Focus bracketing - Haven't used this as much as I thought I would with my EM1. But still a super nice feature when you want/need it.
  • Live Composite - I love this feature and one I use on a regular basis. It is so much easier doing long exposure with it and honestly was what got me into doing that type of photography.
  • High Resolution Shot - Both the handheld and tripod versions are going to be pretty useful for me. I know this is debatable by many and some will argue just get a full frame camera if you want more resolution and I could do that, but I don't want full frame. See my next point.
  • Crop Factor - Being a wildlife photographer who basically only shoots telephoto (or my fisheye for landscape) I really leverage that for getting me more reach in a smaller package. I really have no desire to go full frame because the size of a lens to get me 600mm of reach is just more than I really want or can carry into the backcountry. The one exception is the new Nikon 500mm f5.6, which is actually a pretty sweet lens for the reach and weight.
  • IBIS - I have really fallen in love with the image stabilization from my Olympus gear, especially the dual IS with the 300/4.
  • Customization - I love being able to program just about every button to what I want it to be. Now with the C's on the mode dial and the custom menu section it is even better. I just wish they had stayed with the myset like in the original EM1, I really loved how it worked.
  • Dual UHS-II card slots - What is not to love about that?
  • I am sure I missed some but will come back and add them if/when I remember.
Looking at other systems.

• Sony
    • Weather sealing is suspect, can't afford failing gear due to water and hate using stupid camera condoms.
    • A7 line has decent shooting speed but crap buffer and are full frame.
    • A9 would be my choice but I don't really need/want full frame and that thing is spendy.
    • The APSC line is really crap for what I am looking for in a camera.
    • Lens lineup is weak and not really what I am looking for.
      • There is a reason so many A7 users adapt Canon lenses, much better lens lineup with a lot on the used market.
  • Nikon
    • D5/00 are not mirrorless, impressive but I don't want optical viewfinder.
    • Z6/7 have decent shooting speed but crap buffers.
      • They are not as capable as their D5/00 line, seems like they are still to afraid to go all in on the future.
    • Don't have the lens lineup of Canon but the new 500mm is a sweet lens and would be my choice. I really hate that the 200-500 isn't weather sealed, if it was I would probably have gone Nikon a long time ago.
    • They very well could be the next camera company to take a dive.
  • Canon
    • I left Canon 7 years ago for a variety of reasons, don't really want to go back.
    • No real commitment or desire to move to mirrorless.
    • Do have what I think is the best lens lineup of any camera company.
    • Not a fan of their sensors.
  • Fuji
    • I played around with them when looking to leave Canon but they just don't seem to really want to go into the wildlife/sports world. They still only have one telephoto and while it is a good lens, it is a zoom and I really prefer prime lenses.
    • XT4 is a nice camera but the grip on it is pretty small and while it has really good FPS, it still has a crap buffer.
    • The 200mm f2.0 is a pretty sweet lens and I was surprised they came out with it.
    • Not a huge fan of their sensor
  • Panasonic
    • At least my current lenses will work on their cameras, with the exception of my 4/3 lenses.
    • Not sure they can survive in the m4/3 world with Olympus gone. Olympus was the innovator and would come out with some new feature that Panasonic would then copy but not as well. By that I mean they would typically do things like Pro Capture where they pull it from 4k video and not full RAW. I know things have changed with some of these features and now some do full RAW but I haven't followed what they have updated to be honest.
    • DFD is not that great but I do hope they perfect it at some point, would be a huge win for them.
I used and was happy with my EM1 for 7 years and see no reason I will not be happy with my X for at least 5 years. The only lens I don't have that I really would like to have is the 8mm fisheye, which I will still pick up here soon (want it for this winter as I plan to do some night sky and aurora shooting). If the 100-400 does get released and it meets my needs I may pick it up, but I have this sad feeling it will not be what I am looking for. I actually see myself picking up another X on the used market in 6 months to a year from now as people start leaving Olympus. For a bit I think the prices will be high as people will want to get the most as possible but come a year from now they will be getting desperate and prices will drop and I will happily grab up another one. As long as Panasonic stays in the m4/3 business Olympus lenses will still hold a good value, so anyone thinking they will be grabbing some Pro lenses on the cheap are going to be disappointed.

What are my plans?

I plan to keep using the gear I have for at least the next 3 years. During that time I will pickup another X (once the price drops to what I am willing to pay) as well as the 8mm while watching what happens in the camera industry. If Nikon hangs on and makes some improvements to the Z line of cameras I will probably end up there with that 500/5.6 they have out. That would put me at the same portability as my current setup and I would honestly make that switch right now but I am not super confident about the future of Nikon. Within 3 years things should have shaken out enough to make a good choice of where to go and hopefully some of that Olympus innovation gets bought by some other companies. Maybe Panasonic will surprise me and I will just stay in the m4/3 world. The 200/2.8 is a great lens and if they come out with a longer prime that isn't to slow I would be persuaded to move in that direction.

So I have the 3 year plan to see where I go next while limiting expenditures on m4/3 gear with only the 8mm and a used X at a good price.

my two copper pieces,

Phocal

Edit - While it is highly unlikely maybe JIP will do something with their new acquisition and I will stay with whatever Olympus Camera becomes.

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I was reading the useless replies to my original post thinking, don't they realize they not alone in the bathroom... :)

Then my mind quickly drifted to the really intellectually interesting post by Phocal and the good discussion that followed... all while the bathroom crowd is doing their thing...

I think it's easy to summarize that all thinking M43 photographers are evaluating the Olympus situation like adults, they clearly know the strengths of the Olympus system and they will also know when to move on - simply because they out doing photography, not hiding away in a bathroom...

Others will tap into the huge and exciting secondhand market with so much to discover that no matter what happens to the bathroom community, the secondhand market will outlive them all...

Always fascinated by mob behavior

Siegfried

See the intellectually interesting post by Phocal...

So I just got an EM1X (still in the return window for B&H) and after a lot of thought/research I have decided to keep it. I bought my original EM1 7 years ago and honestly was perfectly happy with it until I busted the LCD on one of them (what sucked is it was the 5 year old camera). From an image quality perspective I was completely happy with my EM1 but they are getting long in the tooth and it was time to upgrade vs getting it repaired or picking up another used one. I thought long and hard about what to get and I looked at just getting a pair of EM1mk2's on the used market, but even those are starting to get long in the tooth to pick up used. The EM1X is the camera I have wanted from Olympus since switching from Canon 7 years ago and it has just enough extras to make it worth getting over the mk2. The mk3 wasn't really in consideration because after getting a grip and 2nd battery there was really no difference in price from the X. Was actually getting ready to get an X when COVID happened and I decided to hold on to my money for a bit. But after breaking one of the EM1's I decided it was time to pull the trigger and get the X.

So the news yesterday was pretty depressing. Olympus has been the most innovative camera company, so it really is sad to see them go.

Why have I decided to keep the X and not return it? The feature set of the X is just amazing and nothing else out there can really compare. Here are the things from the X that make we want to keep it (no particular order):

• Mirrorless - Now that I have used a camera with an electronic viewfinder I am addicted. While there are advantages to an optical viewfinder when it comes to fast moving things, I much prefer all the information you can display while shooting with the electronic viewfinder. I also like using the blinkies and knowing exactly where my exposure is with respects to blowing the highlights. Moving back to an optical viewfinder just seems like stepping backwards in technology.
  • Built in GPS and field sensors - Not many cameras out there have built in GPS or field sensors and I can see some advantages to having this ability built into the camera.
  • Pro Capture - I am not positive but I believe only Olympus and Panasonic have this ability. But isn't Olympus the only one with full RAW pro capture?
  • 60 FPS - Situational but it is the one reason I really wanted to upgrade to the mk2 when it came out.
  • 18 FPS - Yes it is with the electronic shutter but damn impressive and only when shooting particularly fast things do you need to worry about rolling shutter. For what I shoot I don't foresee any real problems with the electronic shutter.
  • Buffer depth - I love the huge buffer of the EM1 line of cameras. I have gotten to where that is something I really value on my cameras and one that would be hard to live without.
  • Built in ND filter - Now that I live in Alaska I have been doing more landscape stuff and this will come in handy. I know it is not as good as using ND filters but it should fill my need when in the backcountry without needing to bring filters, plus I can use it with any lens and will not need different sizes depending on lens. Which means I can use it with the 150/2, which would require very large and expensive ND filters.
  • Weather sealing - They have taken their amazing weather sealing and made it even better. Everyone knows that I am big on weather sealing and that it is at the top of my list of requirements.
  • Joystick - Really missed this since leaving Canon and after a few uses I am so happy to have that back.
  • Focus bracketing - Haven't used this as much as I thought I would with my EM1. But still a super nice feature when you want/need it.
  • Live Composite - I love this feature and one I use on a regular basis. It is so much easier doing long exposure with it and honestly was what got me into doing that type of photography.
  • High Resolution Shot - Both the handheld and tripod versions are going to be pretty useful for me. I know this is debatable by many and some will argue just get a full frame camera if you want more resolution and I could do that, but I don't want full frame. See my next point.
  • Crop Factor - Being a wildlife photographer who basically only shoots telephoto (or my fisheye for landscape) I really leverage that for getting me more reach in a smaller package. I really have no desire to go full frame because the size of a lens to get me 600mm of reach is just more than I really want or can carry into the backcountry. The one exception is the new Nikon 500mm f5.6, which is actually a pretty sweet lens for the reach and weight.
  • IBIS - I have really fallen in love with the image stabilization from my Olympus gear, especially the dual IS with the 300/4.
  • Customization - I love being able to program just about every button to what I want it to be. Now with the C's on the mode dial and the custom menu section it is even better. I just wish they had stayed with the myset like in the original EM1, I really loved how it worked.
  • Dual UHS-II card slots - What is not to love about that?
  • I am sure I missed some but will come back and add them if/when I remember.
Looking at other systems.

• Sony
    • Weather sealing is suspect, can't afford failing gear due to water and hate using stupid camera condoms.
    • A7 line has decent shooting speed but crap buffer and are full frame.
    • A9 would be my choice but I don't really need/want full frame and that thing is spendy.
    • The APSC line is really crap for what I am looking for in a camera.
    • Lens lineup is weak and not really what I am looking for.
      • There is a reason so many A7 users adapt Canon lenses, much better lens lineup with a lot on the used market.
  • Nikon
    • D5/00 are not mirrorless, impressive but I don't want optical viewfinder.
    • Z6/7 have decent shooting speed but crap buffers.
      • They are not as capable as their D5/00 line, seems like they are still to afraid to go all in on the future.
    • Don't have the lens lineup of Canon but the new 500mm is a sweet lens and would be my choice. I really hate that the 200-500 isn't weather sealed, if it was I would probably have gone Nikon a long time ago.
    • They very well could be the next camera company to take a dive.
  • Canon
    • I left Canon 7 years ago for a variety of reasons, don't really want to go back.
    • No real commitment or desire to move to mirrorless.
    • Do have what I think is the best lens lineup of any camera company.
    • Not a fan of their sensors.
  • Fuji
    • I played around with them when looking to leave Canon but they just don't seem to really want to go into the wildlife/sports world. They still only have one telephoto and while it is a good lens, it is a zoom and I really prefer prime lenses.
    • XT4 is a nice camera but the grip on it is pretty small and while it has really good FPS, it still has a crap buffer.
    • The 200mm f2.0 is a pretty sweet lens and I was surprised they came out with it.
    • Not a huge fan of their sensor
  • Panasonic
    • At least my current lenses will work on their cameras, with the exception of my 4/3 lenses.
    • Not sure they can survive in the m4/3 world with Olympus gone. Olympus was the innovator and would come out with some new feature that Panasonic would then copy but not as well. By that I mean they would typically do things like Pro Capture where they pull it from 4k video and not full RAW. I know things have changed with some of these features and now some do full RAW but I haven't followed what they have updated to be honest.
    • DFD is not that great but I do hope they perfect it at some point, would be a huge win for them.
I used and was happy with my EM1 for 7 years and see no reason I will not be happy with my X for at least 5 years. The only lens I don't have that I really would like to have is the 8mm fisheye, which I will still pick up here soon (want it for this winter as I plan to do some night sky and aurora shooting). If the 100-400 does get released and it meets my needs I may pick it up, but I have this sad feeling it will not be what I am looking for. I actually see myself picking up another X on the used market in 6 months to a year from now as people start leaving Olympus. For a bit I think the prices will be high as people will want to get the most as possible but come a year from now they will be getting desperate and prices will drop and I will happily grab up another one. As long as Panasonic stays in the m4/3 business Olympus lenses will still hold a good value, so anyone thinking they will be grabbing some Pro lenses on the cheap are going to be disappointed.

What are my plans?

I plan to keep using the gear I have for at least the next 3 years. During that time I will pickup another X (once the price drops to what I am willing to pay) as well as the 8mm while watching what happens in the camera industry. If Nikon hangs on and makes some improvements to the Z line of cameras I will probably end up there with that 500/5.6 they have out. That would put me at the same portability as my current setup and I would honestly make that switch right now but I am not super confident about the future of Nikon. Within 3 years things should have shaken out enough to make a good choice of where to go and hopefully some of that Olympus innovation gets bought by some other companies. Maybe Panasonic will surprise me and I will just stay in the m4/3 world. The 200/2.8 is a great lens and if they come out with a longer prime that isn't to slow I would be persuaded to move in that direction.

So I have the 3 year plan to see where I go next while limiting expenditures on m4/3 gear with only the 8mm and a used X at a good price.

my two copper pieces,

Phocal

Edit - While it is highly unlikely maybe JIP will do something with their new acquisition and I will stay with whatever Olympus Camera becomes.
Siegfried - is it your objective to offend the other members here, or is or just accidental due to language?

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I think that the market for lenses might outlive us, but aren't batteries an issue with older cameras - I mean, obsolete battery types, so you cannot get them anymore?

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
… aren't batteries an issue with older cameras - I mean, obsolete battery types, so you cannot get them anymore?
There will continue to be a thriving third-party battery market, as long as people are shooting these cameras.

It's only when people stop using their cameras that the market for third-party batteries will stop looking attractive to suppliers.

Consider that Olympus almost certainly does not manufacture their own batteries — they farm them out. I would be surprised if whatever agreement they have with their subcontractor survives the point at which Olympus no longer sells batteries. I certainly wouldn't sign such a contract.

HarryS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Unfortunately, while I expect no immediate change in my life above ground, I suspect the 2nd hand market of most systems will outlive me! I'm gonna get buried with at least one camera and an empty SD card. After that, follow my posts on Flickr.
Steven King has a new short story out on that topic ..."Mr Harrigan's Phone". Not as chilling as his scary stuff,

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom