Excited about the EM1 MK II Hi res shot Even if not hand holdable

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MRM, Sep 21, 2016.

1. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    There has been a lot of hype by olympus about being able to hand hold the hi-res shot on the EM1 II and some disappointment that it is not listed as a spec as of now. I for one was excited about what olympus was hinting at over the last several months but not because it could be hand holdable but because it will finally be landscape usable. As I've stated in another thread, I feel like hand hold Hi res is not and probably will never be that effective at improving resolution. The reason is that when you increase MP you increase demands on the stability of the system and for a hi res to work it has to precisely move the sensor 1/2 a pixel 8 times. This leads to not only needing very precise moments but very high shutter speeds as the one shot shutter speed is at best going to be 8 times longer for the hi res. For me, getting the most out of Hi res mode will always be a tripod affair. Even high MP full frame cameras are only at their best with the best glass and on a sturdy tripod because the extreme pixel densities make movements more noticeable at the pixel level.

What Olympus has said about the sensor already has me excited however because now it will be able to capture landscapes with slight movements without issues. The sensor read out speed of the EM1II has improved along with a significant ~5-6x speed in raw file capture. This will allow the hi res shot to be performed much faster then previously which lowers the amount of movement in a scene and allows for use with longer lenses. Olympus is also touting improved computing that allows it to adjust the final image for movement in the scene which will further improve rendering of trees, water, grass, sky and even people. These two improvements now make the hi res shot usable for landscapes with a good tripod. Combine this with the reported improvement in dynamic range on raw files by olympus and we have a camera that can put out 80 MP Raws that will rival a medium format camera. I have been playing with the DPR studio shot comparison tool again and the EM5II Hi-Res files have less noise and as much or more observed dynamic range then the A7rII and the D810 to my eye. If the EM1II really has an improvement in both noise and dynamic range over the previous olympus cameras, then the Hi res shots will be amazing and finally usable for the kind of photography i love to do.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think Northrop has already stated that the oly hi-res produces a better image than a single exposure d810, or 5ds in a studio environment, so we can assume this iteration will be as good or better. If it's useful in more scenarios is the question.

Other than convenience I'm not certain just how useful handheld hi-res will be since it still couldn't be used on anything moving and if shooting still images tripod use isn't a problem, so 9kmnot losing sleep over handheld or not. I'm glad to have it either way for whenever I can use it.

3. pkent

pkent New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2016
    I hope that Olympus allow combining hires with automating bracketing on the EM1II. With the larger buffer this would make sense and would certainly simplify landscape shooting. Hopefully an early reviewer will explore the menu system and find out if it is possible. With the EM5II backeting in hires mode is manual, slow, and you have to touch the camera to change the settings. Far from ideal.

4. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I'm not sure if Olympus was doing the hyping or its just wishful thinking and speculation on the part of users. I don't recall Olympus saying handheld HiRez is a certainty.

5. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I use high-res mode on my E-M5ii for a lot of landscapes. It works great! Can't wait to see how much better they've made it on the E-M1ii. :)

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    World you mind sharing some examples? I've seen the studio examples but never any landscapes with the Hi Res option. Landscape is an important use-case for me.
    Thanks!

7. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I guess you have missed one of the interviews with Olympus. They were definitely talking about it for the next EM1

8. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II

Third post down - BobbyTan's post - he had the EM-5II for a short time.

9. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Here's a panoramic landscape I take of downtown LA (multiple high-res shots taken in portrait mode on the Oly 75mm and stitched together):
    i-Bs33qff.

Here's a part of the panoramic, cropped down to 4:3 (7296x5472 - 40mp jpg). Click photo below for full size:
    i-Vw3ZcBb-M.

Here's another. Just a single high-res shot (7296x5472 - 40mp jpg taken w/ the PL Nocticron). Click photo below for full size:
    i-6mMGmsK-M.

**Keep in mind these are converted from the RAW high-res shot (64mp) and down scaled to match the 40mp jpg output that the camera would typically spit out in jpg (resolution-wise).

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Phoenix
    Don Thompson
    Hi res Em5 mk ii Canadian Rockies.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    What's going on with the pic. It looks like it was loaded at a very low quality because the detail is low and the sky has visible transitions between the gray. I don't think its my computer as every other picture looks great on the page right now.

12. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    In one of the interviews i saw on 43 rumors the rep said it takes 1/60th of a second to perform the shot but then he said the EM5 II took 1/20th so he may be talking about time between each shot so maybe it is slightly faster then 1/6th of a second now to take all of the shots.

13. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Phoenix
    Don Thompson
    Its not the straight from the camera pic ... I'm not interested in doing techno dribble ... guy asked if anyone had used it for landscape and I have :) This image has been post processed ...