Exchanging my OM-D for an E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Jul 8, 2013.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Thinking about this and this is my thinking in terms of Pros and cons if I do it.

The pricing would be more or less about equal because I have the battery grip. An OM-D in good condition with everything seems to be about $725 used and I think I can sell my battery grip for another $200. A bit more once I add the EVF VF-4.

1. Would lose built in EVF
    2. Would lose weather sealing
    3. Would lose some handling and dials if I ever use big lenses
    4. Would lose A-GPS from my EyeFi card

1. Slimmer more compact form factor
    2. Higher resolution screen (I almost always use the screen, not the EVF)
    3. Tilting EVF (I miss having this feature from my E-PL2 + VF2)
    4. EVF is removable for when I just want a small camera
    5. Wifi (Yay no more need to use SLOW Eye-Fi card)
    6. Can shoot from my iPhone via wifi
    7. Live image in bulb mode
    8. The new EVF seems to be awesome and class leading

Thinking about it, I only shot with my OM-D once in bad weather in all my time owning it although I liked the shots that came out from it.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I think you are trying to talk yourself into the move, but I don't see it as a good switch.

From what I'm seeing, I think you are overestimating what you can sell your OMD + grip for. Not by a lot, but a little. Some OMDs are going for $650-700 and the grips are starting to sneak under $200. Drop the paypal and shipping fees, and you are netting (if you are lucky) maybe $840 for the two.

I think the LCD improvements are not much greater, and the size difference is really only the small hump. Sell the grip and keep just the OMD body. The size difference really shrinks without the grip, and the grip of the EP5 doesn't look to be much better than the gripless OMD. So, I think you are unfairly comparing a gripped OMD to the EP5. Shed the grip, and then look at Compare camera dimensions side by side

Wifi is real. I've been using Wifi on my 6D, and it was really handy on vacation. I've not used the wifi cards, so I couldn't comment on their speed. Another post showed some folks struggling with their EP5 wifi setup. (edit -- some folks are saying wifi is only in iAuto mode??)

You'll have to decide for yourself on those other items (remote control, bulb mode). For me, those are very rare use cases.

I guess what I'm saying is this -- they are nearly the same size, and the OMD has already been whacked by depreciation. The EP5 is at the top of the cost curve. Economically, I don't think it's a good move, and size wise, grip wise and likely LCD wise they are very close.

If you have the cash, can take the loss, and just love a sexy new little machine, than go for it. But it sounds more like an emotional buy than a logical one. IMO anyway.
  3. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

At this point I think I would wait two months and see what the two new OMD's look like and maybe even the Panny GX7. If you don't like...the EP-5 will still be available!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Very good points.

The other thing I never really liked about the OM-D is that the body alone never seemed to have been designed to be used without the first part of the 2 part grip. It just doesn't feel right and complete like the way the E-PL5 does.

I also was never too hot on the button feel.
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    This sums it up nicely.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    These are valid points, but I would suggest you get an EP5 BEFORE you sell your OMD, because what you don't like in the OMD might be offset by quirks in the EP5, if handling/feel is one of your main issues.
  7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It horses for courses but I quite like the compact feel of the grip-less OM-D and find the buttons and dials easily accessible with good feel.

8. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Quick warning - I believe the control via iphone and wifi can only use the I-AUTO setting. I don't know if there are any plans to enhance this feature to access full menus and settings via iphone.
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.. I was in the same boat and had same plans .. I have cancelled my EP5 and as wifi works only in iAuto and its essentially useless as I never shoot in Auto mode. I love the Pen form and 1/8000 shutter speed is tempting but I don't need it as this point . I am gonna keep OMD-EM5 and wait for EP6 then I might consider about changing but even then I am not sure I will go ahead with it .An other problem with me is bonding .. I form a bond first , get to know the camera and I am now comfortable with EM5 . With EP5 this will again start from zero. I have tendency to upgrade on alternate models . OMD-EM7 will be probably my next MFT camera . I would rather but another lens instead of loosing money but that's me :2thumbs:
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Does that mean you can only control the camera if it's in iAuto mode?

What about file transfer after the shot? I'm assuming that is not locked into a mode?
  11. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I did what you are anticipating, but I never (1) felt the need for the additional grips and (2) did not use the EVF a lot (basically when using manual focusing).
    I agree that you are probably over estimating what you can get - I got an in-store credit of $500 from Adorama for the EM5 body only. Yes, I probably could have done better on Ebay, but don't like to go through the hassles. Also, by doing an "in store credit" they apply the credit pre-tax to my next purchase, so I save an additional 8.75% tax.
    I do agree that I never loved the control scheme of the EM5 - especially some of the buttons. And the way the dials were improved in the EP5 over my EP3 was a major selling point. When I "upgraded" from the EP3 to the EM5 it was NOT for the EVF, but for the other improvements.
    And BTW - the LCD on the EP5 is to my eyes MUCH better than the EM5 with regards to color and sharpness. And also, for brief period that I used it outdoors, it seems easier to compose than the EP3/EM5 screen. Not perfect in bright sunlight, but definitely useable.
  12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Feed your gas....
    I'm getting cold with the E-P5 because of the first user reports. I'll skip for now.
  13. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    You guys talked me out of it.

I'm going to try it out at B&H when they get their demo models in and see if Olympus improves the Wifi first before ordering one.
  14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Don't do it.
  15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    E-M5 has Libe Bulb as well, or do yu mean something else?
  16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    For what it's worth (it is a personal decision), I had a GX1 for most of the same reasons and I found I never used it without the EVF. When an attractive opportunity came along, I sold it and bought a G5 and am +100% happy with the change. YMMV, though.
  17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Maybe wait a month or so for when the inevitable first second-hand E-P5s from the EAs (early adopters) might be selling for a couple of hundred bucks below retail.
  18. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    The camera defaults to iAuto type settings if you use the iPhone/iPad to control it. Even if the camera is set to any other mode - you don't have to actually change to iAuto. The good news is that if you are shooting RAW or RAW+JPEG you will get an "un-iAutoed" RAW file to work with afterwards, which helps.

As far as the file transfer, no that is unaffected by the mode. It will however only transfer JPEGs. At first I thought it only would transfer reduced size JPEGs because that is the default setting - I guess because most people who want to use this will then be sending the images via text/email or to places like Facebook. You can change it to transfer a full size file - but it will still be JPEG even if you are shooting RAW. However, if you us the edit mode - you can apply all the Art Filters to any photo that is on your Camera Roll, even non-Olympus shots, the saved file is reduced in size.
  19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm starting to think that this E-P5 has too many software limitations. Its as if Olympus made things with half functionality; it can do this but not entirely, it can tranfer files but not raw, you can control remotely but only I-Auto, you can use FP, but when IBIS kicks in it is disabled etc. etc.
    This by no means makes this a bad camera but handling issues, even if minor one, when they are too many will drive you crazy. IMHO
  20. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Then I suggest you don't get one and let those of us who have one (and are very happy with it) take pictures.
    While I agree that the Wifi app integration could be more extensive - and possibly it will in future app updates - I think it was made more for people who wish to just upload their pics to social networks and emails. Most people who are really into post processing (like most RAW shooters) will not be sending their shots to their iPhones anyway.
    But yes - as far as the remote control, I do wish there were more options.