1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Excellent service from Olympus...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by robbie36, Nov 16, 2012.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I had a problem with my OM-D. The sub-dial on the HLD-6 horizantal grip wasnt working when attached to the camera. That this part should go isnt all that surprising - I have the HLD-6 on the camera 100% of the time but I have to constantly take it off to replace the batteries. I have often wondered if the connection with the camera was really up to this constant use. Well, with my camera, at least, it wasnt.

So I took it into Olympus (Bangkok). I had assumed that it was a fault in the grip itself as the connections looked fine. Olympus told me it was the connections at the bottom of the camera. They would have to replace the part - come back Friday (that was Tuesday.) So Friday, the part is replaced, under warrantee (not that they asked to see it).

Seems to me that is fast, efficient service (especially for a place that is hardly the centre of the known universe.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Service at the Olympus service center in Hong Kong is also superb. The first time I went there, I brought in my Zuiko 50-200mm SWD for firmware update because it could only be done when attached to a 4/3 camera, which I didn't own at the time. I was supposed to pay a fee for the service since the lens was already out of warranty, but they just did it for me at the spot, free-of-charge.

My second encounter was when the main dial came off of my E-M5. They fixed it under warranty with no hassle. After this fix, I noticed that there was a spot on my camera sensor (not sure if it was there before or after the service), but I took the camera in again. Again, they cleaned the sensor, as well as the EVF, for me at the spot. No question asked.

Their reps are also always polite and helpful...

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Good to hear a positive story about Olympus service. Shame the parts failed in the first place, though.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You are definitely right about that!

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    That is a good point. I have only had the camera 4 and 1/2 months.

Still it really doesnt surprise me that this particular part is troublesome. I dont suspect that the HLD-6 grip was designed as a 'permanent' attachment that would be regularly taken on and off to change batteries. If you dont have the HLD-6 you dont use that connector at all.

The problem that Olympus I suspect faces is that a high percentage of OM-D users have bought the HLD-6 - to improve the ergonomics - and DO keep it on all the time. The 'gold' plated 'multi-point' connector is therefore bound to be under a degree of stress for which it was probably never intended.

6. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I had to use Oly service in the UK to fix a FL600-R flash purchased in the USA. They sent me a brand new replacement within a week - all I needed to do was provide a copy of the original invoice. Top marks for top service.

N

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Service is one of the significant reasons I don't buy Panasonic bodies.

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Of course, but parts do fail. Unless the failure rate is unreasonably high I am much more concerned with how a company reacts and the level of service they provide. Good to hear that Olympus takes this sort of approach.

9. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I'm not surprised since Olympus Bangkok is a :Worldwide repair warranty appointed members.

Here the list of Olympus :Worldwide repair warranty appointed members in Asia.
    http://asia.olympus-global.com/support/distributor/index.cfm?sehin_category_id=2

10. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I had to send my TG1 in for repair, and had it back in like 10 days from when I shipped it. I was blown away, since all of my previous experience was with Nikon equipment, and you're usually lucky to get it back in a month from them.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I wish they'd ship their lens orders that fast - still waiting for my body-cap lens . . . :rolleyes:

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I cancelled my order. Got tired of waiting. :mad:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

13. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I have the same waiting game, but that's become the norm with my Oly orders, waited months for my E-M5, waited months for the grip, waited months for a spare battery, now months for the body cap lens, I will say their customer support people are great, so it's great to know repair is also top notch.

• Like Like x 1