Excellent Olympus service

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by StefanKruse, Apr 17, 2016.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hi I thought I would share my latest experience with Olympus service. My 9-18mm lens had an issue where it would not allow me to shoot beyond 14mm i.e. between 15 and 18mm the lens would come up with an error and I would need to reboot the camera after which the lens would work again but only from 9-14mm - I obviously tried to clean contacts etc without any success. Although I shoot the lens most at the wide end, the error basically left the lens in my cupboard as i was worried I might miss a shoot because I would inadvertently focus between 15 and 18mm and the error would make me miss the shoot.

I googled the error and found that others had had the same experience. Talking to Olympus they told me the cost could run up to 185 USD to get it fixed but the repair guy did not mention the issues I read on various Discussions-boards. Lens was bought second hand and no warranty, actually the guy I bought it from had bought the lens online and had it shipped from Germany (I live in Denmark). After almost a year I decided to drive to Olympus and hand in my lens for repair (Olympus danish headquarters are only 15 mins of drive from where I live), I figured it makes little sense to have a lens and not use it so either fix it or sell it. 10 days later i came back via mail, fixed and working perfectly... free of charge i did not even have to pay for postal service fees.

I can only say thanks Olympus, this makes me feel really good about buying Olympus products.... but why oh why did I need hand in the lens for repair right away instead of leaving it for a year in my cupboard :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Another one of many reasons to live in Denmark :)

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Doesn't Precision Camera Repair handle Olympus repairs? I honestly never had any issues with them for service.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I think it has been a mixed bag with them. Yes, you will eventually get your camera functioning, but it might take a trip or two, and the wait for parts can be linger than you could imagine in some circumstances. I am sending my E-M1 in this week for a skipping rear dial before its extended warranty runs out, and I am not exactly looking forward tot he experience. I had two E-M5's that went in for service, and one had to be sent back while the other was on hold for parts. The whole affair took about two months, but they have functioned reasonably well since.

--Ken

5. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Yes - however the lens was sent to Portugal for repair