1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Evolution of a snap

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Bob Tullis, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Bob Tullis

Bob Tullis New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2010
    NYC
    I'll kick this of with something I took knowing I didn't like the angle to it, but thought with perspective correction I might get something from it.

763020289_hnh9W-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The first time working in color, somehow I was led to the opposite of getting it corrected. A day or so later another try led me in the opposite direction.

760679270_o3fQr-L.jpg

761723980_pZk4F-L.jpg

And still later, I think because I kinda went overboard with the reflection, I found this to be more what I was after (though I originally wanted space at the left and right of the aluminum window frame)

766238780_YYNgZ-L.jpg

Now, usually such versions to me are akin to different exposures. But I guess here, besides getting used to this place, I'm seeking thoughts on the various ways it was massaged, how each strikes one, and like that. As well as when the development turns to more pictorial than photographic, your thoughts on that as well.

...Bob

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bob Tullis

Bob Tullis New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2010
    NYC
    Let me try this again. . .

Er, just stumbling around. Trying to embed link. . .

Can you bear with me, and take what was said with this linked set?

Attached Files:

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bob, I went back and embedded the images for you.

4. voyager

voyager  

Dec 31, 2009
    Personally I like the third one the best. Although I tend to not manipulate photos beyond just the basic adjustments.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks Bob, very interesting process!

In the original capture, I agree that the perspective is troubling.

In the second, the reflection is more present. Both the color treatment and the barrel distortion make the handrail more prominent, which I think was carried over in the next two versions. Also, the stairs in the foreground, which were a major element in the original, are almost gone. For me, the color takes away from the overall strength of the photograph.

The third step is where I assume you referring to as the development turning more pictorial, and I really like this one. Don't feel that you went overboard with the reflection.

I like the fourth version as well. The straight window frames work best with the other elements of the photo, and I like how the foreground stairs are present but don't dominate as they do in the first version.

A couple of the features of the third version that I missed in the fourth are the shadows to contrast the highlights in the reflection and the space to the right and left of the window frames.

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Bob, thanks for posting this series...

I agree, the perspective in the first image is distracting... a good reason to add a PP capable of perspective correction to my current toolset!

The second image has potential - I quite like the distorted curves but the colour is not attractive enough to make it work for me.

The third rendition - I like the heavier contrast but would have probably lifted the foreground elements to light them up and balance the attention more... currently, too much attention is drawn into the background.

The last rendition is the most pleasing compositionally, but I think I would like it to be about halfway towards the third rendition - but with a lighter foreground.

This reminds me of a fantastic competition (really more a showcase) Uwe Steinmuller hosted on his site some time ago - to see how users of Lightzone would render a raw file... here's the contest index.

Unfortunately, all of the Galleries have expired :doh:

Cheers

Brian

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    #3 almost works... As # 4....:
    if you cropped out the top of #4 to be with the frame line....
    It would be better.
    Of course that should have been done before exposure. I have no issues to cropping...I just like to do it with the camera....

We're here tho....so please give it a try just to make the difference visible....
    The tones in #4 are intoxicating....
    Shooter

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Nice zeroing in on that Streetshooter. I'm with you but was not able to put my reactions into words quite yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks... Most times I can't get my words into reactions....
    I think this is an East Coast thing...,

10. Bob Tullis

Bob Tullis New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2010
    NYC
    Yes, I see what you mean about the top lites. . . they could go above that horiz. framing. I'll check to see how that pans out with a standard crop ratio.

Thanks for lending your eye [g].

11. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I enjoyed this discussion very much, just what we need, however, I have a question...was this one exposure or several exposures to get to no 3 and 4
    and...by the way thanks for posting it/them/this!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.