Evidence of improved dynamic range in em-1 ii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MRM, Dec 18, 2016.

1. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    This was put up on 43 Rumors two nights ago. I have been looking for evidence of the claimed 14 stops of DR that Olympus claimed in this interview.
    Olympus Q&A: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II Sensor Size Trip

So far I have not seen anyone show any improvement but any time it's looked at they look at shadow recovery. This test shows a big improvement in the highlights vs the mk 1.

SLRCLUB, 디지털 사진가를 위한 커뮤니티

It's in Korean but easy to see the pictures and what was done. It's not definitive but shows that the em1 II. Might be much better for recovering highlights.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I don't read Korean, but I love the Google translations on the comments; "high-speed open-air love performance".

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I want a t-shirt that says that.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WGPhotography

WGPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2016
    Wayne
    Sounds like my first relationship!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Interesting. Part of the issue looks like metering though. The -5 EV shot is notably lighter on the E-M1 for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I am sure there are people who actually care about this kind stuff with regards to their photography and good on them... but to 95% plus of photographers this should not be of concern....nice thing to have, but will not change your photography in any way perceivable to you or your audience

just my opinion

posted here for the sake of balance

K

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Grump. ;):p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    agreed.. I am a grump...

but until my grump becomes a final croak I will continue to argue that minor incremental changes in sensor technology do not actually change the photographers opportunity that much. They are nice to have but not game changing

K

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Haha, I agree with your point — I was just pulling your leg. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Still looks about 1 stop better in the Mark 2 though. Interesting. And more resolution, too.

11. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I disagree. If you do landscapes 1 stop improvement in the highlights means a lot. If you do portraits and street maybe not as much but a significant amount of Olympus owners use them for landscapes. I got into m43 as I had a system I can backpack with. If I have time I will stop by my local camera shop to see if I can replicate this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    You are welcome to disagree... In my opinion if traditional landscape photography is truly your calling/your driver, then m43 is not the platform for you... it cannot compete on any of the technical parameters that landscape photographers seem to hold so dear.

I seriously doubt that a significant number of olympus users shoot landscapes that require the improvements in highlights that you...highlighted

K

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    if it's not important to you then don't comment. For some of us this could be a huge improvement.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Sad Sad x 1
  14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, Kevin - I often agree with you, but not this time. I do a lot of landscapes and m43 is not a poor choice. It's light and compact, which matters a lot if you have to hike to the location, and it has a number of useful features such as LiveTime and LiveComp which better most other systems. Hi res mode has uses too. DR is the biggest technical challenge with landscapes, so extra highlight room is very welcome.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Think I'm going to agree with both and disagree at the same time
    There have been great landscape shot with far lesser cameras than the M43 gear now available, it may not be the ultimate but I suspect in that case the user really should already have medium format digital. So I agree that m43 is eminently suitable.
    What I don't get and I'm happy to be educated is this constant drive for more and more dynamic range. To me high DR ends up looking false, lanscapes have deep shadows and bright bits and why do we need to find every tiny detail all the time. We have plenty of ability to do DR bracketing if desired and even I've done that for sunsets at times.
    So I can't agree that we really need more DR but I get that for some it is highly desirable

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well Phil - consider this image:

29169457724_60280e1f9b_b.jpg
    Sprague Lake by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

The DR looks OK - right? Yes, but only because I used a long exposure and "dodged" the top of the image with a black card during exposure using LiveTime. If I'd have shot that in a single exposure I can guarantee that either the sky would have blown out or the lake would have been in so much shadow that it would have been hard to recover it later. Even an extra single stop in DR would help such a situation.

I rest my case m'lord!

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Bracket

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Hi Paul
    Respectfully no I don't think it does but that is a personal view, to me the more traditional use of a graduated ND filter would have delivered a cleaner more realistic look imo. It seems the traditional methods used for film are put on the wayside due in part from the excellent DR we have available and the need to do it all in one shot.
    Anyway lets not augue semantics, I do get why some more DR is desirable but like (puts on flame suit) BIF photo's the minority of people overall that use it for that is disproportionate to the number of threads on the subject :) not saying DR has a bunch of threads nor would I say no to an extra stop.

PS fairly certain I couldn't take that phot myself so take any implied or actual critic with the grain of salt it likely deserves :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I agree that trying to her more DR in software can look poor if not done right but tha doesn't mean that more camera DR is bad. If correctly processed a higher DR shot can look great. I could just exposure bracket but that is even harder to make look natural compared to one shot. the Nikon d810 has 14.5 stops and is the camera of choice for many professional landscape photographers because of the high DR. I don't see many d810 owners complaining that there is too much DR. The camera doesn't make the shot look unnatural, it's the post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I think I looks natural to what a human eye sees. Does it look like a sooc shot, not really but that is fine. It's all about what you want in your picture and I think that looks great.

• Agree Agree x 1