EVF's G1 to G6

D

Dave Reynell

My 2009 model G1, which has served me very well, is probably going to be retired, or put on light duties, within the next few months. As I enjoy the ergonomics of the G-series cameras offered by Panasonic, its replacement will be the G6. Before committing myself I thought I'd ask forum members who have possible owned both the G1 & G6 about the EVF on the G6. I know the G6's EVF is reputed to be excellent, but is it as large as the one on the old G1 ?

Several months ago, whilst passing through Heathrow airport I happened to walk into one of the Dixon's Camera stores to while away half-an-hour. Dixon's very conveniently show off their camera wares by perching them on a small shelf allowing prospective customers to lift them off, power them up and take a look through the viewfinders.

Since the GX-7 was quite high on my list of "possible" (G1) replacements, I took a good look at this camera. Impressive was the build, but I was surprised to note that the EVF was most certainly not as large (and bright) as the one in My 5-year old G1 ? I then took a look at Olympus's flagship OMD-EM1 and could hardly believe it, but - yet again - I noted the slightly smaller EVF image. Now I am aware that the EVF's of both the GX-7 and the OMD-EM1 are probably sharper, do not "tear" as much in low light etc. etc. BUT, my question is: Why the smaller image ?

One almost gets that "tunnel" effect (similar to the old Olympus four-thirds pentaprism finders).

I know that there will probably be howls of objection (a disagreement) - but lets hear (read) them.

Dave

G1 : Panasonic 20/f1.7, Olympus 12/2.0, Panasonic 14~45 (kit), Sigma 60/2.8

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've never used any of the G cameras Dave, but I've played with the G6 in Dixons at LHR too! I don't recall its EVF d being any bigger than that on my E-M1, which I think is a superb EVF (and actually what pushed me over the edge to up upgrade from the E -M5.

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
Maybe you should consider the 'old' GX1? I'm a biased fan, but truly thought I would be upgrading from the GX1 to the GX7 once the price drops to where a few of them are affordable. However, I've read many comments from users similar to yours, a bit critical of the EVF (others love it or think it's fine), some of them former users of the GX1, and I've come to believes/understand that the EVF (LVF2) for the GX1 might actually be better. Added to this is the apparent challenge of keeping the EVF On, mixed with my long time/overall happiness with the camera helps me not needlessly upgrade.

The only other m4/3 camera I've owned (now my wife's) was a G3. The viewfinder seemed fine, but the controls are too soft and mushy for my preference, I much prefer the overall build quality, functionality, build, and features of the GX1. If I didn't have the GX1s, I'm confident I'd be a GX7 fan, but currently think I'll be waiting for the GX8-10?

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hmmm... The E-M1 actually has a slightly *larger* viewfinder than the G1. Also by default it auto-dims its backlight when shooting in low light situations (like inside a camera store) so that it doesn't blind the user. You can disable this feature if you like. There are also many different possible display modes for Olympus EVFs and it is possible that it was set to a mode that reduces the viewing area to make room for shooting parameters on the side. But bottom line, the E-M1 viewfinder is superior to the G1 in almost every way.

The GX7 has the same magnification as the G1 but it is a 16:9 viewfinder and thus is cropped when showing the standard 4:3 aspect ratio making it in fact smaller than the G1 viewfinder.

The G6 uses a 4:3 viewfinder with exactly the same magnification as the G1.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
IIRC G6 should have a second largest EVF of all recent m43 models? The Oly VF4 has the highest magnification. The EVF in my G5 doesn't look as big as VF4, which is even bigger than that one in the EM1. Does GX7 feature a 16:9 EVF that causes the 4:3 framing look small?

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am a bit puzzled you thought Em1 was small. I think it's pretty big . Anyway , Gx7 definitely is smaller but I ended up getting it anyway because I like the better image quality. It's also insanely fast. I thought Gx1 was pretty damn fast, but 7 is even more responsive.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I would say the resolution and realism of the new G6 should look far better than your G1. Did you not find it so? I find the difference between my wife's G2 and the new G6 EVF to be quite large. The G2 looks like you're staring at a video screen... The G6 has much more colour and motion fidelity. I believe the G1 and G2 finders were fairly similar.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
If I'm reading the specs correctly, the size hasn't change at all. The quality is dramatically better in the G6, though.

sphexx

Mu-43 Regular
The G6 viewfinder is identical in size, format, resolution and magnification to the G1 but it OLED instead of field sequential. As far as I understand the magnification and therefore apparent size varies with the lens fitted at the the time which may account for the OPs impressions.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Dave

I am still using my GH1 because neither are the new EVF's significantly better nor are there such advantages in image quality from the newer sensors.

I would suggest to you (since you like your G1) to consider a used good condition GF2. You will get a multi aspect sensor (as my GH1 has) this is nice in some ways. Ohh and save a packet.

16-9v4-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/03/gh1-formats-and-raw-pixels.html

To me the GH2 has some nice subtle improvements over the GH1 and retains its compact feeling.

But the advantages in sensors in the generations of camera are more slight evolutions than massive revolutions
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/05/generations-gh1-vs-e-m5.html

D

Dave Reynell

I would say the resolution and realism of the new G6 should look far better than your G1. Did you not find it so? I find the difference between my wife's G2 and the new G6 EVF to be quite large. The G2 looks like you're staring at a video screen... The G6 has much more colour and motion fidelity. I believe the G1 and G2 finders were fairly similar.

I never got the chance to take a look at a G6, Dixons LHR - Terminal 5 didn't have one on display. I had read that its EVF was excellent (as, I'm sure those on the GX7 and OMD-EM1 are) but was worried about the size.

Thanks for your comment.

Dave

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
Consider the GH3 also. Other than video features, there were very big improvements in stills, a very large raw buffer, greater fps, much faster AF, built in intervalometer, wifi, switches and knobs for most settings, and better battery life.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Consider the GH3 also. Other than video features, there were very big improvements in stills, a very large raw buffer, greater fps, much faster AF, built in intervalometer, wifi, switches and knobs for most settings, and better battery life.

GH3's known for its inferior VF, I'm not sure that's what he wants.

poopstick

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not a fan of the G6's EVF. While the superimposed info over the image is nice and sharp, the image itself is blurry and low-res looking. I preferred the G5's EVF over the G6. If I remember right, the GH2 had a very similar EVF to the G6(looked dull compared to the G5). The GX7 may be slightly smaller, but is very sharp and bright.

D

Dave Reynell

Dave

I am still using my GH1 because neither are the new EVF's significantly better nor are there such advantages in image quality from the newer sensors.

I would suggest to you (since you like your G1) to consider a used good condition GF2. You will get a multi aspect sensor (as my GH1 has) this is nice in some ways. Ohh and save a packet.

16-9v4-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/03/gh1-formats-and-raw-pixels.html

To me the GH2 has some nice subtle improvements over the GH1 and retains its compact feeling.

But the advantages in sensors in the generations of camera are more slight evolutions than massive revolutions
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/05/generations-gh1-vs-e-m5.html

Really interesting links. Thank you. Some guys really dig deep ! Maybe I'll wait a while, see what Panny comes up with. Non-negotiables ("Must haves" for me at least) are an EVF, a fully-articulated screen and good ergonomics. The GX's and OMD's don't pass the test, as good as they are reputed to be.

Latest threads

Top Bottom