1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF2 and Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gracefruit, Jan 31, 2011.

1. gracefruit

gracefruit Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    central scotland
    While taking some handheld macro shots yesterday, I was replying heavily on my EVF. I'm not the steadiest hand, but I don't think I shake too much. About 15 minutes into my shoot, I was overcome with motion sickness! Of course, this made me feel completely ridiculous and wimpy.

Just wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else and if there are any solutions. I may have to take some Trip-eze next time.

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, perhaps it was more about your looking through any small opening for an extended period and then looking up - changing your horizon line and/or focus? It may be more of a positional vertigo than anything related to the camera's EVF. You might want to make a mental note and see if you notice this kind of thing again and when.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gracefruit

gracefruit Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    central scotland
    It didn't occur to me that it could be vertigo, but that does make sense.

I've had the same sensation watching films like Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield, both filmed in a shaky, handheld camera way. I thought it might be something similar. I'm sure it's me and not the EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Burkey

Burkey Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    Northern New England
    Interesting. I get a similar feeling when using a broadcast field camera when its on a tripod higher than I am. Looking up into a VF can be very disorienting.
    A silly question - but - is the diopter adjusted to your sight?
    . . . Burkey
    Another thought - are you bent over with your head in an unnatural position? Fluid in ears can cause a lot of unbalanced feelings.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Seems like using the LCD would be an easy solution ...

• Like Like x 1
  6. gracefruit

gracefruit Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    central scotland
    Burkey, I'm not glad you felt ill, but I'm relieved it's not just me.

I was up an down a small step ladder at the time, too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Burkey

Burkey Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    Northern New England
    The suggestion regarding using the LCD for macro shots is a good one. My wife has three beautiful orchids in bloom right now and I took a shot of them for her. I used the LCD and it worked wonderfully. Flowers aren't my typical subject matter and using the LCD isn't my usual image viewing method but it did work well for me. Good luck.
    . . . Burkey
    P.S. - I shot an interview on a short step ladder a couple of years ago and almost fell off. I know what you're talking about. :smile:

8. gracefruit

gracefruit Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    central scotland
    I'll try the LCD next time. I'm pretty terrible using it handheld, but it beats feeling sick!

• Like Like x 1