1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f8andbethere, Sep 20, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

I have a G3 and when I depress the shutter release half way the EVF zooms in on my subject and stays there for maybe one second. It then zooms back out to show me my subject as it will appear on the final image. I don't seem to remember it doing this when I first got the camera. I have gone through both the REC and the SETUP menus, and have tried changing some of the settings. However I am unable to get the EVF to simply show me the full image without doing this annoying zoom first. For moving subjects it makes it pretty much impossible to compose because by the time the EVF zoom has gone away the subject has moved.

What am I doing wrong?

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Sounds like you turned on pinpoint AF. Go to the AF menu (click left on the direction pad while in shooting mode for a shortcut) and change to single area or multi-area AF instead.

The pinpoint AF is good for static subjects when you want to get more accurate focus, but it's considerably slower. I don't recall if you can on the G3 as well, but on the G5 at least you can also select how long to stay zoomed in for the pinpoint focusing. I've had some success using pinpoint focus for close-up static subjects and also when shooting wildlife with the 100-300, to try and get the animal more specifically in focus at long distances.

3. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

Thanks!!!! That's exactly what had happened. I have no idea how that happened. Sometimes the menu selections seem to change by unwittingly touching one of the keypad buttons.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It's surprisingly easy to do stuff like that with the keypad. I've done very similar things unintentionally just by carrying the camera while it was on with my palm over the keypad. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to trying the larger-bodied GH3 :biggrin: