1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF Or OVF For GF-1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shutterbgkaplan, May 9, 2011.

1. shutterbgkaplan

shutterbgkaplan Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2011
    I was wondering what EVF or even OVF you all recommend for the GF-1. I have heard mixed reviews about the Panasonic EVF so wanted to know what you all thought of the available options. Thanks!!

2. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    It depends on what you are doing really, If you use legacy glass, need to manual focus or have long reach lenses then the EVF is the way to go.
    If you are street shooting with standard 20mm lens then you 'might' want to go with a bright frame viewfinder.
    I also have the GF1, but decided on the EVF, it can be picked up for reasonable price and does what it say's on the tin.
    There is a lot of negative feedback on the EVF because of it's low resolution, but it IS smaller/cheaper than the Oly EVF, doesn't look out of place on the GF1, if you get the diopter adjustment right, it is very easy to MF.
    I find the resolution more than adequate (more would have been better!).
    There is a big plus for the EVF in that you can hold the camera much steadier with it up to your eye than holding out at arms length.
    Try hand holding @ 300mm - IS or no IS - it isn't fun.( NO IS is going to help you much here!)
    Just got back from Yorkshire Wildlife park, most of my shots were @ 300mm using a ZD70-300mm lens - no IBIS no ILIS and NO tripod/monopod.
    The EVF has NOT been off my GF1 since I got it - read into that what you will.
    and NO! you can't have mine...:tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  3. shutterbgkaplan

shutterbgkaplan Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2011
    Right now I just have the 20mm and I really will use it to frame up my shots especially is sunny weather where I can't see LCD very well.

4. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    I have the panasoic EVF it was the first acessory I ordered after getting my GF1, yes it is expensive for what it is, but have found it very useful, have used it with all my lenses both when can't see the screen because of the sun or because I want to shoot at a low angel and makes it easier to compose the shot, Didn't know that the OVF was compatable with the panasonic keep it in the camera bag and is there when I need it. Over all it was worth buying :thumbup:

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A hat is cheaper :)

6. DrZero

DrZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    What OVF would you use with the standard 20mm lens? I have just ordered a GF1 and might want to try an OVF if the EVF doesn't suit me. Which ones work with it? I know CameraQuest has a dizzying array of them for Voighlander rangefinders. One of those?
    Are they aimed right to work on the GF1?

7. bubzz

bubzz Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 11, 2011
    London, U.K.
    OVF for GF1

I use a Helios viewfinder. It has bright frame lines for 35/85/135 lenses (on 35mm bodies) and with the 20mm I find that viewing just outside the 35 frame is OK for most shooting.

Its a lot more comfortable than walking around looking like a zombie with the camera held at arms length in front of you!:smile: