1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF or LCD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by btango05, Aug 10, 2012.

1. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Just wondering how many OMD users or other Oly 4/3's camera users solely use the EVF or LCD. I know the situation dictates you might use one or the other but for me I primarily use the LCD. I almost forget sometime the OMD has one of the best EVF's in the market.

So lets assume that the situation is just a normal handheld moment and the sunlight doesn't affect you. Are you gonna use the EVF or LCD? I will almost always use the LCD so I may be missing out on something...I have oily skin and kind of anal about greasy screens...

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd prefer to use the LCD, in general. However, I'm getting older, and have started needing reading glasses as of a couple years ago. I found I had trouble seeing if the image was sharp on the LCD, but I can adjust the diopter on the EVF so it matches my eyes.

3. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I use the EVF 100% I never liked trying to see the LCD holding it arms length away or having to take my glasses off to see it close or in the sunlight. The only time I use it is when I'm using the menu. The EVF is perfect for me.

4. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    I also use the EVF nearly 100% of the time. The fact that it is built in was one of the principal reasons I sold my E-PL2 and bought it.

5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Likewise I struggle to see anything clearly on an LCD screen due to my eyes deteriorating these days
    I grew up using 35mm cameras with just a viewfinder and find it natural to use them
    iIt also to me seems more like an extension of my eye looking through a viewfinder compared to the more detached feeling of using an LCD screen
    I feel that framing my subject is much more accurate with a viewfinder and I get a better feel for composition and placement etc using a VF
    I tend to use the LCD screen only for navigating the menus etc
    Edit PS didn't read the heading re this being an O-MD based thread (got rid of my OM-D
    Why don't you throw it open to all users of cameras with both VF and LCD ?
    Regards
    Rob

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I use the LCD only if I'm shooting from a position which makes using the EVF very difficult, like ground level or over my head.

7. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Ok...Done...Btw how come you got rid of the OM-D?

I guess I didn't originally create this poll about other Oly models as (correct me if I'm wrong) the only one that has it already built in. I assumed that if you paid good money for an external EVF you planned on using it.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    My evf fogs up pretty bad and i have very sun sensitive eyes so im always wearing shades outdoor...so the evf is kind of an extra for me. I usually tilt the lcd down a bit if it getting hit directly by sun.

I use the evf only when i need a very steady shot (low shutter speed)

9. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    LCD. If I want a viewfinder, I use my camera with a real viewfinder. Being able to focus just by tapping the LCD is awesome.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. Camera stability.

11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    In any Bright situation with my EM-5 or any other that I have found with LCD.. no way.. EVF a MUST.. not to mention Camera Stability..

12. tommydata

tommydata Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 12, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thomas Dattoli
    One of the biggest reasons I bought the OM-D was the EVF. I think a viewfinder is the best way to compose a photograph.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I don't have an EVF - don't really want one, either. I like the size of my cameras without any add-ons.

14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Agree 100%, Doug. In bright sunlight, none of my cameras have LCD's that are visible. During my just completed beach vacation, the G3 was the surprise performer; I hadn't even intended to bring it, but I thought the EVF might come in handy. Yes it did!!

15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Since we're specifically talking the E-M5 here, it should be EVF vs. OLED, not LCD. Old habits die hard. Then again I'm from the tube generation.

16. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I use LCD as much as EVF, even when the situation not dictating me to do so.
    Both were OM-D strong point in term of feature for handling and operation.

17. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    When I use the P14 pancake, I find myself using the LCD and holding it like a P&S - it feels more natural that way.
    When I mount any other non-pancake lens, I prefer the EVF - again, because of more natural handling, for myself at least.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    EVF, the exception being an awkward position when the flip-out LCD works better than the EVF. I shoot a lot of motion/action stuff, tracking subjects is so much easier with the EVF. The first thing I purchased for my GF1 was an EVF.

G

• Like Like x 1
  19. metalbernd

metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Holland
    I vote fore the EVF, because I use this all the time, even when changing someting in the menu, I's clear, fine too work with and save some battery power.

20. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    I like to use EVF but I want a bigger ( like GH2 ). I'm looking a magnifier to modifier it :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using OM-D E-M5 + Leica 25/f1.4 + T*