1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

EVF or LCD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by btango05, Aug 10, 2012.

1. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Just wondering how many OMD users or other Oly 4/3's camera users solely use the EVF or LCD. I know the situation dictates you might use one or the other but for me I primarily use the LCD. I almost forget sometime the OMD has one of the best EVF's in the market.

So lets assume that the situation is just a normal handheld moment and the sunlight doesn't affect you. Are you gonna use the EVF or LCD? I will almost always use the LCD so I may be missing out on something...I have oily skin and kind of anal about greasy screens...

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd prefer to use the LCD, in general. However, I'm getting older, and have started needing reading glasses as of a couple years ago. I found I had trouble seeing if the image was sharp on the LCD, but I can adjust the diopter on the EVF so it matches my eyes.

3. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I use the EVF 100% I never liked trying to see the LCD holding it arms length away or having to take my glasses off to see it close or in the sunlight. The only time I use it is when I'm using the menu. The EVF is perfect for me.

4. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    I also use the EVF nearly 100% of the time. The fact that it is built in was one of the principal reasons I sold my E-PL2 and bought it.

5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Likewise I struggle to see anything clearly on an LCD screen due to my eyes deteriorating these days
    I grew up using 35mm cameras with just a viewfinder and find it natural to use them
    iIt also to me seems more like an extension of my eye looking through a viewfinder compared to the more detached feeling of using an LCD screen
    I feel that framing my subject is much more accurate with a viewfinder and I get a better feel for composition and placement etc using a VF
    I tend to use the LCD screen only for navigating the menus etc
    Edit PS didn't read the heading re this being an O-MD based thread (got rid of my OM-D
    Why don't you throw it open to all users of cameras with both VF and LCD ?
    Regards
    Rob

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    I use the LCD only if I'm shooting from a position which makes using the EVF very difficult, like ground level or over my head.

7. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Ok...Done...Btw how come you got rid of the OM-D?

I guess I didn't originally create this poll about other Oly models as (correct me if I'm wrong) the only one that has it already built in. I assumed that if you paid good money for an external EVF you planned on using it.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    My evf fogs up pretty bad and i have very sun sensitive eyes so im always wearing shades outdoor...so the evf is kind of an extra for me. I usually tilt the lcd down a bit if it getting hit directly by sun.

I use the evf only when i need a very steady shot (low shutter speed)

9. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    LCD. If I want a viewfinder, I use my camera with a real viewfinder. Being able to focus just by tapping the LCD is awesome.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. Camera stability.

11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    In any Bright situation with my EM-5 or any other that I have found with LCD.. no way.. EVF a MUST.. not to mention Camera Stability..

12. tommydata

tommydata Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 12, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thomas Dattoli
    One of the biggest reasons I bought the OM-D was the EVF. I think a viewfinder is the best way to compose a photograph.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I don't have an EVF - don't really want one, either. I like the size of my cameras without any add-ons.

14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Agree 100%, Doug. In bright sunlight, none of my cameras have LCD's that are visible. During my just completed beach vacation, the G3 was the surprise performer; I hadn't even intended to bring it, but I thought the EVF might come in handy. Yes it did!!

15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Since we're specifically talking the E-M5 here, it should be EVF vs. OLED, not LCD. Old habits die hard. Then again I'm from the tube generation.

16. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I use LCD as much as EVF, even when the situation not dictating me to do so.
    Both were OM-D strong point in term of feature for handling and operation.

17. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    When I use the P14 pancake, I find myself using the LCD and holding it like a P&S - it feels more natural that way.
    When I mount any other non-pancake lens, I prefer the EVF - again, because of more natural handling, for myself at least.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    EVF, the exception being an awkward position when the flip-out LCD works better than the EVF. I shoot a lot of motion/action stuff, tracking subjects is so much easier with the EVF. The first thing I purchased for my GF1 was an EVF.

G

• Like Like x 1
  19. metalbernd

metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Holland
    I vote fore the EVF, because I use this all the time, even when changing someting in the menu, I's clear, fine too work with and save some battery power.

20. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    I like to use EVF but I want a bigger ( like GH2 ). I'm looking a magnifier to modifier it :) 

Sent from my GT-I9300 using OM-D E-M5 + Leica 25/f1.4 + T*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.