EVF, One Eye Shut Or Two Wide Open?

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
I'm sure this has been discussed before but just out of interest..... how common is it for people to use a viewfinder with both eyes open?
Probably my first reaction to screw up my face in order to close one eye and then squint through the VF with the other is fairly common?
I'm consciously practicing keeping both eyes open when using my EM5 ii and find it much more relaxing and providing much more vision surrounding the scene in the VF.
It goes without saying this is standard practice for street shooters?

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My brain doesn't seem to like having both eyes open, but sometimes I do it when in a busy shooting situation and want to see what's coming into frame. I'm trying to do this more often with the 100-300mm, but find it's hard when the viewfinder image is such a different size, and have to switch which eye is closed instead of opening both.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My brain doesn't seem to like having both eyes open, but sometimes I do it when in a busy shooting situation and want to see what's coming into frame.

I've done the same thing for decades. Works best with normal to moderate wide lenses, of course.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
My left eye keeps a lookout for traffic/trains.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Keeping both eyes open is a common practice for people who use a microscope (with one eyepiece). You can look in the microscope with one eye and draw what you are seeing on a piece of paper with the other. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it - your brain just kind of shifts its attention from one eye to the other. You have become much like a lizard, looking at two things at once!

As far as photography, I do it sometimes in situations like mentioned by @melanieylang , especially when using a high-power lens. Say you have an animal mostly filling the frame and you are waiting for it to do something - raise its head or whatever. You can monitor the rest of the area with your other eye at the same time, so you'll know when that animal you are closely watching is about to be eaten by an even larger animal approaching...

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
:eek-31: / ;) As I'm left eye dominant, it doesn't make any difference if I keep my right eye open or not, as I can't see a thing beyond my right fingers on the grip and shutter button.
I am left-eye dominant too, but I still find it can be useful to open my right eye . You can look around pretty easily, just not straight ahead much. But it is much easier to do with things like spotting scopes (very useful when birding) and microscopes. :)

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I am left-eye dominant too, but I still find it can be useful to open my right eye . You can look around pretty easily, just not straight ahead much. But it is much easier to do with things like spotting scopes (very useful when birding) and microscopes. :)

I was left eye dominant and used to photograph that way until I lost sight in that eye. Now if I am seeing through the EVF, I have no vision outside the camera. In practice, this has been a challenge in shooting sports and also in getting horizons straight. But for the most part, it works out.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I shoot sports, usually BOTH eyes are open.
Situational awareness. The left eye is watching for trouble headed my way, from the left.

To follow up on @SVQuant . With both eyes open, looking through the camera causes my eyes to decouple. Then one eye rotates slightly. And the result is MANY of my sport shots where I am moving and shooting fast, are tilted :confused: This is why I rely on the grid and level in the EVF.
I do not recall this being a problem back when I shot film, so it may have gotten worse as I got older.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
With both eyes open, looking through the camera causes my eyes to decouple. Then one eye rotates slightly. And the result is MANY of my sport shots where I am moving and shooting fast, are tilted :confused: This is why I rely on the grid and level in the EVF.
That's interesting. Does it only happen if you keep both eye open or also when you close one eye, does the other still rotate slightly?

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I find that if I shoot for any length of time with one eye closed then my eyes become fatigued. Much more comfortable, for me, to shoot both eyes open. It also helps me to see if there is anyone about to walk into my carefully composed shot.

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kaore au i te rite mo tera.
how common is it for people to use a viewfinder with both eyes open?
When I shoot street, I usually see people using their right eye with the left eye closed.

I shoot with my left eye with the right eye open with my GM5 even on the street. I can shoot with the right one too but with the left, I can keep both eyes open. When I try shooting with the right eye and with the left open, I look cross-eyed that's why I choose the left. Haha.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's interesting. Does it only happen if you keep both eye open or also when you close one eye, does the other still rotate slightly?

Eye doc said, without the eyes working in sync, the eyes are going to their natural resting spot.
So very likely with one eye closed, the eyes are not in sync, so they will rotate to the natural resting spot.
It was rather confusing and concerning to me, but my eye doc said it was not a big deal.

Tried with both eyes once and could not see anything with either, so I can only use one eye.
From looking at how good I am at focusing I wish it was the one looking through the view finder sometimes :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom