1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF lag after pressing shutter OMD EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Akashi, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I am sure this has been asked before, but I just can't find any answers, even after searching. The issue I have is when taking a picture through the EVF, the image I see freezes for what feels like a second, before continuing. That means that anything moving are long gone when the EVF image return. Is there a setting that controls this?

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Select the wrench/spanner in your menu screen. Look for the Rec View Setting. It can be adjusted from off, to fractions of a second, and many seconds. The EVF/LCD will still go black momentarily even if review is off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Great, it is better now. It was at 0.5 sec now I turned it off. What in the world could be the reason for this setting? Who would like a long lag here??

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The lag is to let you see what you captured. If there's blur or burned out highlights, you instantly know you need to adjust and shoot. I turned mine off too. If I want to check my last shot, I hit the button to display images on the LCD and go from there.

5. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I see, well I am with you on this one. Off it goes :)

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    It's a view of the picture you just took.

It's nice for moving subjects because there is an EVF lag, and because the screen goes black (not sure why), so you can never be sure exactly what you captured without seeing the pic.

Barry

7. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    First thing I turn off after resetting the camera... drove me nuts for a few weeks after getting mine and they hid that pretty good in the menu... terrible for shooting birds at least, I suppose its OK if shooting landscape and things that dont move

8. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Yes I tried some eagles with my new 75 1.8. That is pretty difficult as it is without that damn lag thing messing it up. It is off now and I am eager to try it out now.

9. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Is there any way to set it so as there is no image preview in the EVF, but if you pull your eye away then it shows a preview on the LCD? Kind of like what you do with a DSLR.

10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    If you keep your shutter finger pressed down on the shutter button to the AF level after taking the shot, you should see no review delay.

The review only comes up if you remove your finger from the shutter button after the shot.

At least that's how it works on my E-M1.

11. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    this too. i turned off rec view after this became too tedious. now waiting for the SD card to write before seeing my preview is proving to be really tedious too... ugh.

12. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    That is true, but if you want to refocus you have to release, or use manual focus, especially on a Bird in flight, once you see that preview you have to find it and start all over if its not gone already...and the shutter button is so sensitive sometimes you release by accident.. anyway its a good feature for those that want it, and we are able to turn it off for those that dont :)

13. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    This is one of the reasons why I wish Olympus offered a feature that allowed you to refocus on S-AF by just slightly turning the focus ring. Basically using the focus ring as a "start" signal.

14. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Isn't that what the SF+M feature allows you to do? Half press is a regular S-AF and then you can make adjustments with the focus ring.

15. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank

Not quite. That works backwards. Your camera focuses, and then you can nudge the focus ring to manually alter the focus distance selected by the AF system. I'm referring to the opposite. The system focuses with AF, and stops. To initiate another AF sequence you would nudge the ring and the AF system would re-focus. This would eliminate the need to reseat your finger on the shutter button to initiate AF again, allowing you to keep the shutter button in release-ready at the half-press using the focus ring to start the AF sequence

The idea behind SF+M is to be able to manually override the AF system at any time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I'd sell you my D300's dedicated AF button, but there are a lot of new D750 buyers looking for one as well! :biggrin:

I know folks have remapped buttons to accomplish a similar action, but I guess that I became so used to just pumping the shutter that I never bothered to master the uncoupled technique. But, I agree, fast S-AF shooting can sometimes be a bit challenging.

--Ken

17. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Use manual focus, change the mode on it so that you can bind another button to focus (AEL).

Back button focus is weird at first, however once you get used to it you essentially have AF-S, AF-C, and MF all in one. Tap the button for AF-S, hold it for AF-C, and don't touch it at all for MF.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Is it correct to assume that focus then becomes disabled on the shutter?

--Ken

19. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    on the shutter button itself? Yeah, you would need to hold a button bound to AEL to trigger focus. I'm not aware of any method currently available to trigger focus while still having the shutter bound to focus (wouldn't it be somewhat pointless? focus... only to be unable to take a picture as it will refocus when you try?).

20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the shutter button will still focus when in A/F modes; the AEL button becomes 'back button focus' when in MF modes.

I'm using mode5 now on my E-M1.

Barry