1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF for video or use magnifier on LCD?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Rider, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I'm shooting with E-PL1, which has a lower res LCD than the E-P2 (I think).

So I thought maybe the EVF would improve manual focus accuracy with video. Has anyone tried that with fast 3rd party lenses?

I was wondering whether I might be better off with using a magnifying loupe on the LCD.

2. Jackson Miller

Jackson Miller Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2010
    Well a good cheap 50-100 dollar loupe could get you nice results for probably cheaper, though I don't know what the resolution on the EPL1 EVF is. However, i thought the EPL1 was better for video in all regards than the EP2 even though if I recal the ep2 is more expensive. It has been a long time since I read up on them though.

3. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I tried a both. A magnifyer on the LCD shows you only a little bit more detail, not much--eventually you're just magnifying the LCD dots. So sometimes the LCD is better and sometimes the EVF is better. Unfortunately you can't swith between them while recording.

4. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    If shooting handheld, I would go for the magnifying loupe and a pistol grip. I shoot a lot with super 8, and this is by far the most stable setup. I think that with the added stability combined with the magnification will make the focusing easier… :)

5. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    What's a good pistol grip for a tiny camera like E-PL1?

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Just used my EPL1+VF2 for video. It worked pretty well. I held it low and looked down into the VF2 for extra stability.

7. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Did you have to manual focus with an f2 lens at f2?

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I used a Super Takumar 28/3.5 and I set it to infinity as I was shooting out the front of a windshield. I believe it was set at f11 as it was very bright and I wanted good DOF. I regularly use my MF lenses wide open I couldn't use them without the VF2 but I have yet to use the VF2 for video at F2 on one of my F2 lenses.

9. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I remember seeing one japanese grip for GF1 and I think this would also go well with the E-PL1. It was a combo with both a loupe and pistol grip. The problem is that I cannot find it anymore in the net :(

When using manual focus lenses with my GF1, I usually just pull the neck strap tight and use the other hand for focusing. This works really well with 20/20 vision and adequate light. It's also easy to shoot wide open.

I also have some lenses that are harder to focus during video than others. This depends heavily on the construction of the focusing mechanics.