EVF for Oly E-PL5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pixmedic, Mar 9, 2014.

1. pixmedic

pixmedic Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    central florida
    jason
    I am thinking about getting an evf for my E-PL5. I see there are a few models to choose from (older to newer I assume) and I was wondering what the difference were, and what would be the best VF around $200?

So far I have been looking at the vf2, vf3, and vf4 on ebay.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    By all accounts, the VF4 is the best.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The VF-3 has the lowest resolution, and is the smallest, the VF-2 is in the middle and the VF-4 is the largest and has the most resolution. Either the VF-2 or the VF-4 are good enough in my book. You can get a refurbished VF-2 from Olympus for around $135.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    The VF4 is indeed a very good view finder which I use it on the EP5, better than the integrated viewfinder on my EM5 (the VF-4 has approximately twice the number of pixels compared to the EM5). Get one of these and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

5. pixmedic

pixmedic Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    central florida
    jason
    I see a few VF4s on ebay for $220ish. I'm seeing VF2s going for close to that. I'm very strongly leaning to just getting the VF4 for a little more money if it is a significant upgrade over the VF2.

What are your opinions of using an EVF over the lcd display? Is the evf worth the money?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mu-43 mobile app

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I recently upgraded my VF-2 to a VF-4 and I'm very happy that I did. The VF-4's magnification is notably higher making for a much more 'engaged' experience.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    As far as I'm concerned the viewfinder is a better user interface, although the LCD display does have an application for the likes of low level shooting, or overhead. Also in bright lighting conditions the viewfinder wins hands down. The VF-4 can be articulated through 90 degrees, from horizontal to vertical, which can be handy.

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    IMO VF4 worth it (paid $199 new on Amazon). I had VF2 in the past and rarely used it and finally sold on ebay. VF4 is quite better. In my last trip to Death Vally I had zero shots with not level horizon because it's much easier to see and level through EVF than on LCD under full sun.

9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I had the VF3 with my E-PL5 for several months, then ended up getting a VF4 on sale. There's a big improvement. The downside of the VF4 is that it is larger and stands out more. But the image is much clearer and makes manual focus a lot easier. It's almost like looking through an optical VF while the VF3 feels like you're looking at another LCD.

If you just want something to use in bright light with autofocus lenses, then the VF-3 is fine. And for wide angle and street photography you probably don't need a VF at all. But for long telephoto, macro, and manual focus the VF-4 can't be beat. Definitely worth the extra, if you can find it at $200 or less.

10. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I got my VF-4 from the Olympus store. $99 refurbished and this was not with the 20% Presidents Sale coupon. Item was clean with no scratches!

11. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    the 'best' is the vf4, hands down. question is if one needs 'the best' when one compares price. i got the 'best' because i like to use manual focus legacy glass, so the view is really important. for auto focus, imo, once you get to a certain baseline, 'the best' becomes less important and price plays more of a role. and all three achieve the baseline.

12. pixmedic

pixmedic Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    central florida
    jason
    I think I am sold on getting the VF-4.
    my only remaining question is concerning where I read that the VF-4 is only compatible with the PEN series cameras with a firmware update.
    is this a camera update I need to download and run as a program?
    Also, since I only bought this camera a few weeks ago, is there any chance that it already has the updated firmware? or is that update specifically for the VF-4 and only on cameras that have downloaded it?

13. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    yeah, i did it, no problem.

14. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    i've only ever used VF2 and quite happy with it... :smile:

15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Olympus Digital Camera Updater - download, install and follow instructions.
    Current EPL5 firmware version = 1.2 (on camera: Menu -> Setup Menu [wrench icon] -> Firmware)

1.2 firmware provides the following improvements:

- Improved stability of touch panel operation during playback
    - Support for new VF-4 electronic viewfinder (automatic display switching by the VF-4 eye sensor is not supported)