EVF for GF1

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would love to hear feedback from people who own and use the EVF on their GF1's, I am considering getting one to use in particular with my 45-200 and also in bright light.

I find the 45-200 not ideal at the long end to use with the LCD and feel that the EVF may allow me to steady the camera more easily a la SLR and also allow me to see the image more clearly in bright light.

I hope there is someone out there who can share their experiences, suggestions with me before I take the plunge.

Thanks

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi Ian,

I decided not to buy the 45-200 for my E-P1 for generally the same reason - long lens focusing on an LCD isn't something I enjoy too often, although I've had excellent results with the Hexanon 135mm f2.5.

If I was going to use the 45-200mm, I would definitely favour my G1 - the grip and EVF are perfectly suited to larger lenses and you've got stabilisation in the lens.

Have you considered, instead of the currently low res EVF (I suspect Panasonic will have a high res one in the works - hopefully compatible with the GF1)... using the Hoodman HoodLoupe instead?

Just a thought, Chris seems to be using it very effectively.

Cheers

Brian

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have it and I use it almost all the time. It sits well on the camera without being too obtrusive (like the EP2 EVF which I think really spoils the look of the camera). It fits with the camera size very well. It does the job it's supposed to do perfectly in my opinion. I hesitated to buy it at first as I'd read about the resolution being too low - it's not, it's perfectly adequate. It's not as if I'm going to use an EVF to check the quality of a shot - that's for later on the computer.

For me it's a compositional aid. I like to put the camera up to my face to shoot, which also aids in stabilizing my posture, so the EVF fits naturally with my shooting style. In bright light it comes in very useful, as does the rotating head.

Now that I have it I can't really see myself being totally happy without it. I definitely recommend it.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Paul, I hear what you're saying - the GF1 EVF resolution is about the same as the E-P1 rear LCD isn't it?

The question is, would you upgrade to a higher res EVF, if one became available for your GF1? I think a higher resolution view would make legacy lens focusing easier... which is why I'm wondering whether the Hoodman HoodLoupe could work well?

Cheers

Brian

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Paul, I hear what you're saying - the GF1 EVF resolution is about the same as the E-P1 rear LCD isn't it?

The question is, would you upgrade to a higher res EVF, if one became available for your GF1? I think a higher resolution view would make legacy lens focusing easier... which is why I'm wondering whether the Hoodman HoodLoupe could work well?

Cheers

Brian

There're more details on the EVF here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/page6.asp if you haven't seen it yet.

Hmm, would I upgrade if one became available? I don't have any legacy lenses (yet) so I can't really say anything there. For the lenses I do have - 20mm and 14-45mm - I don't think so. I'm happy with it as it is.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Yes, I probably wouldn't even be considering the E-P2 - if I didn't have some legacy lenses I want to use on a camera of this form... the prospect of a G1/GH1 class EVF with stabilisation is pretty compelling.

Cheers

Brian

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
EVF methinks

Thank you all for your feedback and the link.

I was strongly leaning towards the EVF option and now feel more confident in proceeding as I feel it will help when using the 45-200 as well as allow a solution on very sunny days.

All I need to do is find one at the right price, I believe in UK the best I can do is around £160 but ebay has it for £140..............Hmmmmm

:confused:

babaimage

Mu-43 Rookie
For me it's a compositional aid. I like to put the camera up to my face to shoot, which also aids in stabilizing my posture, so the EVF fits naturally with my shooting style. In bright light it comes in very useful, as does the rotating head.

Thanks for your feedback and i agree with your statement above. At first I'm in doubt about making the purchase but now i'm more clear why I should need the EVF. Thanks.

andyw

Mu-43 Veteran
So when the EVF is plugged in does the rear screen still stay on or is it turned off? Can you still fiddle with the controlls and view the rear screen or is it all done in the EVF?

Thanks

Y

Yves D.

Hi,
There is a dedicated button on the evf to switch from lcd screen to the evf.
You can't have both operating at the same time.

babaimage

Mu-43 Rookie
I just ordered an EVF & 14-45mm lens today. I'm planning a Tokyo Disneyland trip for this Spring holidays and these 2 will cover my shooting needs.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
GF1 EVF

:thumbup:Well I have now purchased the EVF for the GF1 and find it much better than I had expected.

Even though it is not as clear as the LCD, it is an aid to focussing/composition on sunny days and also to allow me to use the 45-200 with more stability at eye level.

It does look good on the GF1 as it is not too large (probably half the height of the EP2 EVF) so in fact could be left on all the time and used with all lenses.

I am sure the ability to rotate 90 degrees will come in useful for low level/macro type work so I look forwards to using it even more.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was very pleasantly surprised by the E-P1 LCD after reading the resolution-related criticism in the forums and suspected that the GF1 EVF would also better pretty good, at least for use with autofocus lenses.

DennisC

Mu-43 Regular
A word of warning for those of you placing the hot shoe plug thingy into the supplied case and holder ---- it comes out!!

I've just got back from a pleasant walk only to find the plug has gone. It seemed to be secure inside the plastic holder and the velcro fastening was fine but somehow the little b***er found its way out.

Overall I quite like using the EVF and it certainly helps when using slower shutter speeds.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ooops

Thanks Dennis for the warning, I am using the EVF case to store the shoe cover so will remember that.

Are you able to get one from Panasonic, I am sure if you let them know what happened they will be willing to help after the financial investment in their products you have made - worth a try.

Good luck,
Ian

DennisC

Mu-43 Regular
It looks like replacement plugs are available from Panasonic US for $3.65 but nothing showing on the UK site.
I'll talk to Panasonic US tomorrow to see if they ship overseas otherwise I'll have it sent to American Relatives.

Meanwhile my thinking is that I should buy 2 plugs because I'm bound to lose one again :sad010:

BTW It's good to see this forum up and running.

Update:

Panasonic UK are getting me the replacement covers - £6.10 for 2 including postage and delivery in 4 weeks.
The cost was £1.60 each making them cheaper than the US supplier! Now that's novel.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
i use the evf infrequently on the gf-1, but for framing, not for manual focusing ,
i find mf easier on the lcd where the greater resolution provides sharpness and edge detail info that is blurred to near uselessness by a low resolution on the lvf-1

for framing i like it and when its too bright out , i thought i would use it because of the habit bringing an slr or rangefinder to my eye would be difficult to give up , but surprisingly to me, this has not been the case , in fact bringing the camera to my face is fast becoming the new novelity, a year from now i could feel differently, but for now...............

Glenn S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It looks like replacement plugs are available from Panasonic US for $3.65 but nothing showing on the UK site

Panasonic UK are getting me the replacement covers - £6.10 for 2 including postage and delivery in 4 weeks.
The cost was £1.60 each making them cheaper than the US supplier! Now that's novel.

Hi, I lost my hot shoe cover too! Can you please tell me who you contacted at Panasonic to order replacements? I emailed Panasonic support but heard nowt back. Thanks

DennisC

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Glen

I rang 0844 844 3852 Panasonic Customer Care

you then go through a menu system , wait in a queue ( I was number 3 ) and then within 3 minutes a helpful chap came on.

The part no. VYF3287 wasn't showing in the computer but he eventually located the part and has it on order - hence the delivery delay.

Hope this helps. I presume that you're in the UK!
(Stateside you can order online)

Latest threads

Top Bottom