EVF for E-PL1 - Worth buying?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pkeenan80, Apr 24, 2012.

1. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011

I'm getting more and more into my EPL-1 and wondering if it's worth buying the EVF for it. From what I've heard it's really good. Also does anyone out there know where I might get it for less that the (very expensive) list price of £185 (300 USD) or if a non-Olympus alternative exists?

thanks guys...
  2. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Yes it is,specially evf 2 and if you oftenly shoot with adapted (legacy manual) or in bright day the you can't go wrong with it.

Perhaps you might wanna search this similar thread and read what else gain from it

Its worth every penny

Sent from my GT-I9100 using E-3
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    I was on the fence on that one a while ago, for my E-PL2. I was actually considering the more expensive VF-2. Finally I decided to give a try to a universal optical viewfinder which I'll have in my hands in a couple of hours actually. It certainly isn't the same thing, but I do hope that, for the lens selection I'd be using, it would cure "viewfinder syndrome" for me.

I could just not bring myself in investing in the VF-2, because of cost honestly. For the type of shooting I do with the E-PL2, I would rather invest the money in an additional prime lens. And after all, my next m43 body purchace shall be one with integrated EVF. But YMMV for sure.
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Absolutely. If you ever decide to upgrade, the EVF will follow along.

For me, it is a requirement for adapted manual lenses.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you're prepared to do some wheeling and dealing, the cheapest way to get hold of a VF-2 is to buy it in a (used) kit and then sell the camera and lens. The value of the viewfinder alone does not translate into the combined package price. E-P2 kits are probably the best way to do this.

This obviously doesn't apply if you want a brand new VF-2.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    No non-Olympus alternatives, sorry.

There's the VF-3 - should be less expensive but also not as sharp and detailed. Secondhand VF-2 is probably your best bet - eBay etc.

7. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I picked up a VF2 for my EPL1 and it's great for those times when I need it - bright days, macro shots at weird angles, indoor shots when I want stability.

It's not *necessary*, but rather, it's a nice-to-have. If I didn't have one, I'd have a hard time choosing between a new lens (like the Sigma 30/2.8 - which I have) or the VF2.

Best bet - get it used.
  8. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Fred S
    A big YES. As per Declan97 " Its worth every penny "

I have an E-PL1 and my EVF-2 is always on it.
    Its a Night and day difference
    If you check on the Member Buy & Sell they usually go for under $ 200.00

Sent from my Desk Top
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Agrees with Fred. My VF2 was always on my E-PL1. Now I have a PL2 which does have a better rear screen, so the EVF isn't quite as necessary, but I still use it approximately 92.3% of the time.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't leave home without it. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Yes, I absolutely love mine. Shop used. I thought there was one listed for sale here recently for about $160-180 but I could be wrong.
  12. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    a requirement for me too as I shoot 99% mf outdoors.
  13. downy_ball

downy_ball Mu-43 Regular

I have a Oly E-PL1 and really wanted an EVF to go with it, but didn't know if the expense would be worth it. After using the VF-2 for about a month now, I can't see myself not using it. I just find the intimacy of looking directly through the lens with my eye (through a VF) very gratifying (maybe just a leftover form my old SLR/film days).

I also found my VF-2 here on this forum, used, for a great price. I just put a wanted ad in the Member Buy & Sell section and a few folks got in touch with me. Good luck :smile:
  14. pkeenan80

pkeenan80 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    Thankyou for all your help guys I think I'm gonna try to grab one second hand!
  15. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I got a vf3 for my E-PL1 and love it. The VF2 may well be better but the VF3 is "good enough" for me. I hate using the back to compose on and so I use the vf for all my shooting. It's especially nice with my manual focus Nikkors and, as mentioned, on a bright day its a delight.

It's also enormous fun to flip it up and look down while shooting in a square format. Pity there isn't software to flip the image upside down on the VF screen :lol:
    • Like Like x 1