EVF flicker / blackout on E-M1 Mark II

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Hi all,

I have done a search for this and not found other threads discussing a similar issue, so wanted to see if anyone is familiar with what I am experiencing.

I have only had the EM1 Mark II for a month having upgraded from the EM5 Mark II - so it could be user error or settings I have.

I noticed the EVF briefly blacking out / flickering after a half-press of the shutter. And it doesn't go black, more stops down 2-3 stops of light.

From what I can tell, it doesn't impact the images at all. So that's a good thing! But it is rather distracting and makes me question my exposure.

If I turn the camera on and off, it stops happening but will come back.

I am going to do some more tests with exposure settings (ISO etc) and with different lenses.

But keen to know if anyone is familiar with this?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't see that in normal use. But there are modes where it will happen, as it has to, examples:
1. ProCapture. In that mode, and with a small aperture, I see exactly what you describe.
2. Pressing the preview button. This is the bottom button on the front on my camera.
There are lots of settings. I suggest you do a full reset, use normal shutter mode, and see what happens.
Other suggestions for things to keep track of: lens, shutter mode, flicker reduction, live view boost, Auto-ISO, etc etc.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
that sounds weird. My first thought was you had a DoF preview assigned to half-press on your shutter button (@growltiger’s #2 point above). Definitely doesn’t sound normal as I’ve never experienced that.

You might also have S-OVF turned on. Not sure if that’s assignable to half-press or not.

In any case, maybe verify your button settings in the gear menus.

Matt Drown

Mu-43 Veteran
Also clean the contacts on the lens & body (how many lenses does this happen on? Half press defaults to starting autofocus, and drawing power.

It does sound like DOF preview, and if you haven't "reset camera to defaults", it's worth a try also, even more so if it's a new camera.

Mdb2

Mu-43 Rookie
I currently also have an LCD problem slightly different to yours in as much as my eve works fine but the lcd when reviewing images or for taking images is somewhat phycodelic, I am trying to resolve this problem.

Have you tried the menu for pixel remapping? It hasn’t helped me but you could try it.
Kind regards Mike

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
I shoot wildlife and a lot of b.i.f , and I changed my EVF to be on all the time a couple of days after getting the camera . Unfortunately the camera is away for repair ,but from memory you have to turn off OVF switching plus somethin* else both at the end of the gear cog menu . Will be more accurate when it comes back.. blackout free shooting is possible with the camera

Mdb2

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks Blackfox will try that in the morning.
Kind regards Mike

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom